Telling Siblings

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MummytoB

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2013, 07:05 AM
Veteran
Anyone else at a loss as to telling your other kids about a new pregnancy/baby? I have NO idea what to tell my dd or my ds. I know my dd will be excited, but I'm not sure my ds (3) is old enough to understand yet.
July 1st, 2013, 08:12 AM
acchickpea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure for my situation either... My DS is going to be a year on Aug... He's just blabbering at the moment so I don't think he'll get it when I'm waddling when I get bigger...
I think he's just too young to tell him...
July 1st, 2013, 08:20 AM
mBABYe's Avatar ♥ Life with BOYS ♥
I cannot wait to tell my oldest!!!

My husband wants to wait until at least the first ultrasound. He has been begging us for another brother or sister forever. Seriously. He talks about it ..every.single.day.. soooo I want to be sure these tests aren't just all bonkers. HAHA! We want to be able to show him a little blob on paper

Wife since 2004. ♥ Mom since 2008.

♥ TTC #1: 4 yrs, 2 months ♥ TTC #2: 1 yr, 5 months ♥ #3: Surprise twins lost at 7 & 10 weeks.

July 1st, 2013, 08:28 AM
Veteran
My first dr appt is tomorrow, while my three older kids are at camp. We are planning on tell them tomorrow night at dinner.
Due Feb 15, 2014 with baby #5
Scheduled C-section on Feb 8, 2014

July 1st, 2013, 08:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are waiting for at least the first ultrasound. They handled the mc amazingly and knew what happened but I don't want to have to go through that again.

Miss Kerrigan Grace will be arriving in September 2014!

July 1st, 2013, 09:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We told my oldest son last night. He was begging us for a dog and wouldn't drop it. So, we told him that 5 kids and 3 dogs would be too much. He was so absorbed with this disappointment regarding the dog, so I think it put a damper on his reaction. We're telling the other 2 next week after my first ultrasound.

Thank you, Peimum for my beautiful siggie!

2/13/11 12/1/12

July 1st, 2013, 09:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have my ultrasound on 10 th so will tell Ben and Alex then. My oldest son has known for a while. I didn't want him to worry about why I kept feeling sick. He was really happy. I think Ben won't really be bothered. But Alex is going to take it badly.

[/url]
July 1st, 2013, 11:04 AM
Amazing Mommy
DS knew the exact moment after I took the test. I showed him the test all excited and happy, he asked what it meant so I explained it. I let him take the test to DH to show DH.
He's 7 so he understands and he's been wanting a baby brother or sister for years. He's beyond happy and excited. He asked if he could rub my belly last night, even though I'm not showing yet. Lol He hasn't been as rough as he normally is when we play and he keeps telling me all the things he will help me with when the baby is born.
JewJewB likes this.
July 1st, 2013, 09:08 PM
caliroo34's Avatar Super Mommy
We'll have to tell my OH's son at some point. I'm not really sure how to explain to a four year old he's going to have a sibling that's only his father's child. I expect him to take it badly as he's used to getting all his dad's attention.

I also don't think the kid's mom will take it very well so this all just equals super amounts of fun.

July 2nd, 2013, 05:11 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatrixMorgan View Post
We are waiting for at least the first ultrasound. They handled the mc amazingly and knew what happened but I don't want to have to go through that again.
We told our two when we were pregnant before too. I was surprised how well they took the news about losing it, because they were actually really excited.
So we were going to wait at least for the first ultrasound to say anything. However my super nosy teenage daughter noticed the boxes of tests in the garbage in the bathroom and so came and found the pos tests on the nightstand. lol She is very anxious for a new little one, can you tell?? So they have known since about 2 days after we did.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
July 2nd, 2013, 06:57 AM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
I told my girls right away (7 and 6). We have mentioned it to my 2 year old but he doesn't understand just yet. If he touches my belly, I say there's a baby in there. He repeats this but we have no idea how much he understands.

For someone younger than 4, they won't begin to understand even a bit till you are showing. Once you get bigger or you get an ultrasound pic (the one that actually looks like a baby) it won't start to sink in.

You'll have to explain a lot with younger kids. If you know someone else who is very pregnant, point her out to your kids a few times. After the baby is born, go see it and explain that is the baby that was in the moms tummy. If you don't know anyone, point to a stranger who is pregnant and explain that they have a baby in there tummy too. Eventually you will get big like that too.

As for how to actually announce it, when you sit down your bigger kid(s), include your little one(s) to. Announce as you would for the bigger kid. See what the younger kid does if he or she asks questions or says nothing. If he asks questions or seems interested, talk simply with him or her. If the young one seems uninterested, doesn't understand or care, leave it for now and revisit it when you start getting bigger. Or if you are having symptoms (like puking) you want to let your kids know that you are okay, you are not feeling well because you are pregnant, and growing a baby inside you (aka little sister or brother) but that you will be okay.

If you ONLY have a young child, just wait until you start showing, he/she overhears others talking about it or they start asking questions (depending on age.) a 3 year old will take notice before a 1 year old will.

My Beautiful Children
Morgan - Jan 2006
Alastrin - Apr 2007

Liam - Mar 2011
Aria - Feb 2014
July 2nd, 2013, 11:59 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I told my 3 yr old and i think he understands for the most part, but he also has a sister so we've been down this road last year. I told him there is a baby is my belly and they will eventually come out just like Kylie used to be in my belly and then she came out. I don't mind telling him since even if something does happen to the baby he won't understand enough to have it upset him.

July 2nd, 2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran
We took our kiddos out to dinner tonight and told them. Our youngest went with me to the dr appt and asked if we were going to get a new baby, completely out of the blue!!
Due Feb 15, 2014 with baby #5
Scheduled C-section on Feb 8, 2014

July 3rd, 2013, 05:52 AM
Veteran
I am still waiting to tell my 8 and 3 year old. My 8 year old suspects but once we tell the 3 year old EVERYONE will know! My sister is pregnant and she tells EVERYONE about the baby growing in her aunt's belly! I may wait till August to tell them. Not sure.

Christy~Mom to Hailey 11-12-04, Julie 9-10-09 and Collin 1-22-14

July 3rd, 2013, 06:05 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
technically he has been told but i doubt he gets it at only 8 months old.......he did seem very enthralled with the conversation where i told his dad the test was positive lol..........otherwise he likes to kick when he nurses at night and iv been telling him alot lately "please dont kick mommys stomach we have to be nice to the baby" he has stoped kicking as much but i think that has more to do with me being insainly consistant in stoping him now then the phrase i use.

July 3rd, 2013, 08:27 AM
Veteran
I told my DD last night, and just told ds there is baby inside mommy's belly and please be gently. Easier to break him of using me as a jungle gym now than later.
July 3rd, 2013, 10:07 AM
Super Mommy
We told our son (7) the day we got our 1st positive beta. We had known for 4 days from all of our POAS tests, but my dh couldn't hold it in any more. He was so excited for him to know, so we took him out to dinner to tell him. He has been so excited and has promised not to tell anyone. So far he has kept that promise. He has wanted a sibling for a long time.

1st Beta (6/17/13 - 14 dpo) - 150
2nd Beta (6/20/13 - 17 dpo) - 622
3rd Beta (6/24/13 - 21 dpo) - 2518
4th Beta (6/27/13 - 24 dpo) - 7142
1st Ultrasound (7/1/13 - 6w0d - measuring 5w6d, 103 bpm, CRL - 2.59 mm)
2nd Ultrasound (7/9/13 - 7w1d - measuring 7w1d, 144 bpm, CRL - 10.15 mm)
3rd Ultrasound (7/26/13 - 9w4d - measuring 9w4d, 140-150 bpm, CRL - 2.8 cm)
4th Ultrasound / NT Scan (8/12/13 - 12w0d - measuring 12w6d, 142 bpm, CRL - 6.5 cm)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search