Give me ALL the turkey sandwiches...!

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Nerd
It's the only thing I want. A cold turkey sandwich with miracle whip and baby Swiss cheese. And you know what? I had one over the weekend and I just went to the store and bought some more turkey so I could eat another. I don't care if there's a risk of listeriosis! I feel badly but nothing else sounds good and I'm queasy all the time.

Give me the d*** sandwich!!!

(Going off to sob hysterically at my failure to abstain from cold meat while eating the sandwich.)
MummytoB and shell1981 like this.

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
July 11th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lol u need to move to the UK. Cold meats aren't banned pregnancy foods here! You are making me feel like,a turkey sandwich now but I have mine with cranberry jelly.
SmilingSam likes this.

[/url]
July 11th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I made my husband a bagel sandwich with cream cheese on both halves, mesquite turkey, lettuce, and Swiss. I sniffed it just to see and it smelled SOOOO good. I had to leave the room while DH ate. I wanted nothing more than to take a big bite out of it.
shell1981 likes this.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

July 11th, 2013, 03:01 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hear ya. I have made exceptions with cold deli meat during pregnancy. I figure it will probably be ok as long as its not often.

Also i think sometimes things sound amazing because they're "off limits". In my last pregnancy i craved a hot dog soooooo badly and when i finally gave in it was seriously the best hot dog i've ever had in my life! I didn't have much desire for them afterwards either.

Last edited by amazing_love; July 11th, 2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling errors
July 11th, 2013, 03:34 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I've already had cold lunch meat turkey. Reading this post I'm now craving a turkey sandwich but with real turkey, not lunch meat turkey. Now I can't wait for thanksgiving.
mommyluneyburd likes this.

July 11th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Veteran
Meh. That is one thing I don't really listen to the rules about. Yeah, I am a bad girl. What can I say? A ham sandwich with mayo, cheese, and lettuce sounds soooo yummy right now. Too bad we don't have any.
Ashmommyof3.5 and Jibby like this.

July 11th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Jibby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ive been like this but with HAM. Ham on super soft wonder bread, a slab of cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato, slather of Mayo and extra dill pickles....MMMMMMMMM

My dh is the food police. If he sees me eating ham he may cry lol
9arrows4Him likes this.

July 12th, 2013, 05:40 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Talk to your dr but most cold meat is ok. The kind you want to steer clear of is any that has been sitting out in the heat or hasn't been properly refrigerated so I'm sure baby will be fine. I had the same craving with my last pregnancy so I talked to my dr about it and he said it would be fine to give into that craving.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
July 12th, 2013, 06:04 AM
avaught's Avatar mama to sweet 3 yr old
OMG Idc if its only 9 am if I don't have a turkey sandwich on white bread with cheese and mayo and macho cheese Doritos ASAP ill die.

Thanks Tasha for my Blinkie!!
July 12th, 2013, 06:19 AM
My doc said NO deli meat. My dh happened to hear this lol

July 12th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Nerd
I think my husband is more concerned than I am. Heck, I'm eating another turkey sandwich right NOW.
9arrows4Him likes this.

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
July 12th, 2013, 09:31 AM
One of my friends said she would heat her deli meat then chill it and then eat it. Is that ok? Or even good?!

July 12th, 2013, 09:36 AM
dwhite23's Avatar Veteran
Just take the lunch meat and heat it in the microwave/convection oven for a few seconds so that it rids of the bacteria. I usually do 30-40 seconds. No way would I avoid a sandwich for 9 months.
July 12th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Amazing Mommy
You all are lucky, I can't even stand the sight of the foods you're discussing. LOL
sarha81 likes this.
July 12th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I also heat it for 30 seconds. Its not quite as yummy as cold but for me its not worth taking the risk if i can avoid it. Again, i haven't been 100% strict about it (didn't even hear this rule until about half way through my son's pregnancy) but the fact is there IS a risk, even if its low. A pregnant person is more likely to get listeria than most and if you do end up being one of the very unlucky ones then miscarriage, pre-term labor, or infection spread to the baby are the risks it brings. Those are just the facts. Not saying everyone should completely avoid it, only be educated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibby View Post
One of my friends said she would heat her deli meat then chill it and then eat it. Is that ok? Or even good?!
I've heard this but not sure if its true. I don't think i could wait that long to eat.. when i'm hungry i want it NOW, lol.

July 12th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
Not that I encourage anyone to not follow their doctor's advice but I have had lunch meat while pregnant. I don't eat it regularly anyways but I've had subs.

My Beautiful Children
Morgan - Jan 2006
Alastrin - Apr 2007

Liam - Mar 2011
Aria - Feb 2014
July 12th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Luckily lunchmeat really grosses me out lately but if I wanted it I would eat it!

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
July 12th, 2013, 12:42 PM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
I hear ya guys! I love cold cuts, but won't eat them without zapping them in the microwave. CDC states that pregnant women are 20 times more likely to become infected than non-pregnant healthy adults, the number of cases of listeriosis in pregnant women is about 17%.
That being said, listeria outbreaks are very very common. You can get it eating unwashed veggies, lettuce, melon, etc., so even if you are super duper careful, there are still risks.
July 12th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
HOtdogs are banned too???? I've never heard that. Last pregnancy I WANTED camembert cheese so bad. I told my midwife and she said if you bake it in the oven it kills the bacteria same with stilton cheese in soup if you heat it until it's really hot it kills all the bacteria.

[/url]
July 12th, 2013, 08:04 PM
^Hot dogs are fine as long as they're heated well, from what i understand. I was extremely strict during my first pregnancy so i didn't allow myself any hot dogs, no caffeine at all, etc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search