Weekend ER visit

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2013, 08:02 PM
caliroo34's Avatar Super Mommy
So Saturday morning I woke up and was preparing to head to work. I went to the restroom and saw blood. Not a lot, and it was pinkish red, but it was there. Up until this point, I've had no spotting or anything. Of course, I freaked. Immediately assumed I was miscarrying. I've been really, really anxious lately. It's like I've almost been waiting for it to happen. I came out and told OH and we decided I should go to the ER. So I called off work and we went.

I was so, so devastated. I just knew this was it and they were going to tell me there wasn't a baby anymore or that there never had been one. So they take me in and the nurse is telling me how they're going to take blood and test hormone levels, etc... Then from around the corner pops the doctor. She's a thin Asian lady with big glasses and she just LOOKS eccentric. She practically yells at the nurse to stop and says she needs to "interview" me before we commit to anything. You guys, she was possibly the weirdest person I've ever met in my life. And in the sheer panicked state I was in, I was so not in the mood. At first, she was quizzing me about why I came in. She was asking me very basic questions with obvious answers and making me spell them out for her. Like "Are you nervous?" Yes. "Why?" I'm afraid. "Afraid of what?" That's I'm miscarrying. "Why?" Because I'm bleeding. "From where?" My freaking VAGINA! She made me stick out my hands for her inspection, she looked at my neck. It was bizarre to say the least. She kept telling me that lots of women bleed during pregnancy and it's nothing. And that if I was miscarrying, there was nothing they could do any way. She acted like I shouldn't be there. Well excuse me, but if I AM miscarrying then what you can do is TELL me so I know. Geez, how hard is it to figure out that's what I want? I just want to know if the baby is OK or not! and I was one of two patients in the ER. Soooo not like I was taking up valuable resources.

Oh and I forgot to mention she kept questioning if it was OK for my OH to be there. Why would I have brought him if it wasn't? And when I said yes the first time, I meant it!

Any way. She decides to skip to just doing an ultrasound. So she wheels in the machine and tells us all about how it works. Then, turns out she has no clue how to work it. So the ultrasound tech comes in and we get all set up. The screen was faced away from me towards them, with my OH sitting behind them. They stare at it all stony faced for a minute and I'm so sure they're about to give me bad news. Then the tech tells my OH to get up and look and tell him what he sees. And my OH says "a heartbeat." I'm crying just typing that. I've never felt such an enormous flood of relief. Then they let me see and sure enough there's little bean with a strong heartbeat of 166. Everything looks good they said. Of course, one thing I am concerned about, is baby is measuring quite behind where I thought it should be. BUT I'm trying not to read too much into that as I don't know for sure when I conceived. I got pregnant straight off birth control so I don't really have a LMP to go by. I still don't think it could possibly be as young as he said, but I know they have a give and take of 5 days which IS possible. I asked him if he was concerned and he said absolutely not, that it was neither here nor there. So, I'm just going to let it go for now. I have my first OB appointment tomorrow and I'll bring it up with her then. Now I really have no idea of my due date.

All in all, it turned out well. I was so expecting the worst and I'm so very grateful it didn't turn out that way. Of course I know anything can still happen and I think I'm even more paranoid now...but at least I know that as of now, baby is going strong.

I could probably write a novel on that weirdo doctor but I think I've said enough that you get the gist. I hope I never, ever, see her again in my life.

July 14th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Nerd
I'm glad it all worked out in the end

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
July 14th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Jibby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Woah crazy!!!! I'm so glad all is well! Good luck tomorrow!

July 14th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Veteran
That stinks about the weird Dr., but so exciting you got such great news! Just take it easy and let us know what happens at your appt tomorrow! Did you get any pics?

Christy~Mom to Hailey 11-12-04, Julie 9-10-09 and Collin 1-22-14

July 14th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Tiggerlb's Avatar Veteran
Er's can be rude as far as telling you there is nothing they can do about it. Duh we all know that. It is mainly for piece of mind for us so we can start grieving over a loss. And also to make sure it is not tubal causing the light spotting. I have been to the er a few times when mcing. And even in your shoes thinking it was over then omg there is a strong hb. And it is a relief at either out come just to know what is actually happening. I am so happy for you that you walked away with wonderful news.

July 14th, 2013, 10:22 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
your very lucky that they let you actually see the ultrasound .......im glad they were willing to do that to give you the peace of mind you needed.

July 15th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yey for healthy baby!! Thumbs down for strange doc tho. So has the bleeding stopped now? How far along was baby measuring?

[/url]
July 15th, 2013, 07:57 AM
victoria0294's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad everything is ok! Stinks that the dr was so weird. Sometimes I think they forget we are real people with feelings and worries.
Keep us posted on your next appt!

expecting identical twin girls!!
July 15th, 2013, 08:57 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad everything is ok. I hate ER's.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
July 15th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am so glad baby has a strong heart beat! Ugh I hate weird drs and I'm nervous enough in hospitals as it is. I would have demanded someone else or something. I'm glad you got your answer though and good news at that! I measured a week behind with DD. She's fine. I thought I was 8 weeks and maybe 2 days at time of ultrasound but she was 7 weeks, 3 days and also had a strong heart beat. Measuring behind isn't necessarily a bad thing. With such a strong heart beat, I'm sure your sweet bean will be just fine.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

July 15th, 2013, 12:36 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a strange doctor! Hooray for seeing the heartbeat!!

July 15th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
Scary! Glad baby seems to be fine and that doesn't sound like measuring much behind, especially if you don't know the date of your LMP. If I get ANY bleeding I have to go to the ER right away because I'm RH-. Luckily no bleeding here.

Let us know how OB appt goes but I get the feeling everything is JUST fine.

My Beautiful Children
Morgan - Jan 2006
Alastrin - Apr 2007

Liam - Mar 2011
Aria - Feb 2014
July 15th, 2013, 06:57 PM
cassthomas852's Avatar Veteran
Glad everything is A-OK! What a weirdo doctor though... Keep us posted on your OB appt!

Me- 32
DH - 35
TTC for over 6 years.

Jan 2013 - IVF #1
May 2013 - FET #1

6/7/13 - First ultrasound - Twins!
12/20/13 - Kayden and Caleb were born at 34 weeks!

July 15th, 2013, 09:05 PM
caliroo34's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks everyone! I had my appointment today and she scheduled me for a dating scan next week to confirm dates. She also said she wasn't concerned about dating behind, that I could have implanted late, yada yada. So all good and I'll find out my due date Monday! I also really like my doctor, which after that last one, I was pretty nervous I wouldn't.

The bleeding completely stopped after that one time. No trace of it whatsoever, thank goodness! Guess it was a fluke.

Thanks again ladies

July 16th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Veteran
So glad all turned out well. How scary! I love to hear happy "endings", though.

July 16th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Janisdkh's Avatar Mommy of soon to be 5!
Send a message via MSN to Janisdkh
I am so happy you had good news to your bleeding <3 Congrats honey

Tags
emergency room , ultrasound

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search