How are you coping with cleaning/chemicals?

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By callista83

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Regular
This weekend I cleaned the bathrooms and found it really hard to do since I use bleach based products. My husband had to take over, the smell was just too overwhelming. Now I know we all do not have the luxury of hiring a maid or cleaning service and that toilet is not going to clean itself... so I was wondering what everyone else is doing to cope with the harsh chemical smells while getting some deep cleaning done.
July 15th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
Great question. Stay away from bleach or anything super strong smelling. The most mild smelling ones I know of are GreenWorks, they are amazing. Cleaning smells aggravate my daughter's asthma and Greenworks doesn't bother her. You can also use vinegar and baking soda if those smells don't bother you.

For safety reasons, keep a window open for ventilation when cleaning and use only the amount necessary.
MarieInTX83 likes this.

My Beautiful Children
Morgan - Jan 2006
Alastrin - Apr 2007

Liam - Mar 2011
Aria - Feb 2014
July 15th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Regular
I am definitely going to look into GreenWorks!!! I did think about using vinegar/baking soda, I'll need to look up online how to exactly make a cleaning solution out of it.
July 15th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm ok with most soapy smells. Can't use bleach and haven't in years because it destroys septic tanks up here, so don't know how I'd react to it now. Green works is mild, but doesn't do anything on our hard water deposits in toilets. I could be scrubbing with water for all the good it does. Its the hard water deposits that makes our toilets look awful. CLR I can tolerate, but lime away's smell gets to me when I'm not pregnant. CLR is my favorite, it works the best with out bothering my nose horribly. I always keep a window open or run the fan when I use anything though.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

July 15th, 2013, 01:02 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I use method products for cleaning. They have an all purpose spray that I use to clean counters, bathroom sink and windows, it has a mint smell and I love it. I also use that to clean the outside parts of the toilet and use a toilet wand to clean the inside, it's quick, doesn't smell and works really well. I'm really sensitive to smells so pregnant or not, I never use anything with a strong smell.

July 15th, 2013, 01:35 PM
victoria0294's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I was helping DH with yard work but I made him put down all of the mulch by himself since I'm paranoid of the chemicals being harmful.
Um... I've been kind of lazy with the rest of the housework lol. When I clean the bathroom I hold my breath when I'm spraying, step out of the bathroom, and then go back in and quickly clean. It's a small room, and the window is so old it doesn't open (but we're getting it replaced soon!) but it doesn't take long to clean.
DH has been very helpful around the house. We also don't have any kids to clean up after (yet!)

expecting identical twin girls!!
July 15th, 2013, 02:58 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its simple: I don't clean!! lol. I'm half joking DH mostly takes over the role of cleaning the bathrooms while i'm pregnant since the smell is far too strong, even when using more mild soaps. We mostly buy 7th generation products.

July 15th, 2013, 08:18 PM
caliroo34's Avatar Super Mommy
Not well at all :/ Smells in general are doing me in right now. I've been really slacking in the cleaning department. I feel bad.

July 16th, 2013, 05:48 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't stand the smell of bleach right now so I just don't use anything with bleach in it. Other cleaning products don't seem to bother me.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
July 16th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Mrs. Harris's Avatar Praying for #2
We went chemical free during my first pregnancy. I use vinegar, water and essential oils as an all purpose cleaner. Baking soda is a good abrasive for showers and the like. You really don't need bleach to clean.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search