Doppler?

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By smsturner
  • 1 Post By lilflower

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2013, 09:29 PM
Veteran
Have you heard if using the Doppler too much could be harmful? My youngest told my OB last week I had one and he said only use it every couple of weeks. I love checking on the baby as it gives me comfort. Do any of ya'll worry about using the Doppler to much? Dh keeps telling me to just leave the baby alone.

Christy~Mom to Hailey 11-12-04, Julie 9-10-09 and Collin 1-22-14

August 2nd, 2013, 11:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not worried about it, I only check about once a week with it, and only for a few minutes. I would lose my mind if I didn't have that reassurance in between appointments. I used it with my DD also, she's perfectly fine.

Can't wait to meet our new baby GIRL!

Never forgetting all my sweet angels: Twins 10 weeks 1/2010 Baby B 8 weeks 8/2010 Angel 5 weeks 3/2013
August 3rd, 2013, 04:28 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I got one yesterday because of the bleeding issues and sure, anything in excess can be no good but the way I look at it, the stress from me wondering if my baby is still alive is far more harmful not only to the baby but myself and the rest of my family than is using the doppler every other day or so.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

August 3rd, 2013, 07:00 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
When I researched I've heard some say it can be harmful and I've others say its not. I use mine a few times a week. With my son, I checked everyday for weeks and he had no issues. This time I'm not using it no where near as often as I did with him.

August 3rd, 2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran
The reason it had me concerned is.....I used the dopplers with my dd's. Yes I thought everything was fine but my oldest is ADHD/dyslexic and I wonder if I did that to her with the doppler now. I know it could have been anything as I was pretty sick and on lots of meds with her. I have lots of guilt and I just don't want to hurt this baby.

August 4th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Christy, I highly doubt Hailey's ADHD/dyslexia are due to doppler use. My oldest is ADHD/OCD and I only used a doppler a few times with him (had just rented it for a month).

I wouldn't overuse it, but here and there I'm sure is fine. I only use it up until I can feel movement on a regular basis then it gets put away.
2 angel babies 2/2013 and 8/2013

August 4th, 2013, 06:40 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have adhd. So do my kids. None of us had dopplers used except the couple times at the Drs office.

Moms are great at self blame. Me included. Don't do that to yourself. I'm sure it's not connected.
azmommie likes this.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
August 4th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Veteran
Thanks guys. I know there is nothing I could not have done but I still blame myself. I think that's just part of being a mother.

August 5th, 2013, 07:51 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's easy to blame ourselves for problems with our kids. But like the ladies said above the doppler did not cause the ADHD. I used one with my last child and he's fine. I think as long as you don't use it to excess everything should be just fine.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
August 5th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Veteran
I'd only use it rarely, they aren't proven 100% safe. I'm a firm believer in being your own advocate, but if your OB expressed concern over you using it you might want to heed the warning.

Fetal Doppler Safety - Fetal Doppler Facts.org

And I understand the "but we turned out fine" thought process, but there was a "safe" medicine that women were given that turned out 40 years later to cause cancer, infertility, along with other problems. We don't have any way to know what the real long term effects are.
Mrs. Harris likes this.
August 10th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Mrs. Harris's Avatar Praying for #2
There are some theories and research coming out that says too much ultrasound exposure can potentially be harmful. Like Lilflower said, it has not been proven safe. Dopplers use ultrasound too.

Just think about how much ultrasound exposure most babies get- the standard scans, the 3D/4D scans, doppler at every appointment, doppler at home, EFM throughout labor...
Is it too much? Is it really safe? We don't know for sure.

I'm not saying don't get ultrasounds and don't use dopplers. I'm just saying we need more research. We need to be judicious with the use of this technology.

I feel like my son had too much unnecessary exposure. This time we are mostly avoiding it. Planning on just 2 ultrasounds and no dopplers. My midwife will listen with a fetoscope after 18-20 weeks
August 10th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Veteran
I am trying to only use it now when I am concerned if the baby is fine. Then when I find the heartbeat I quickly turn it off. I know that my dd's problems are proabaly not caused by the doppler but I am going to just be careful this time.

August 10th, 2013, 03:55 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow I have never heard this! I'm glad you posted about it because i'm very careful about not getting unnecessary u/s for this reason but i have a doppler and never gave it a second thought. I rarely used it during my last pregnancy and have only tried a couple of times with this pregnancy so i assume its ok.

I'm sure you are not at all to blame for your daughter's ADHD. We always want to find reason for those things but IMO they are out of our control.

August 10th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing_love View Post
Wow I have never heard this! I'm glad you posted about it because i'm very careful about not getting unnecessary u/s for this reason but i have a doppler and never gave it a second thought. I rarely used it during my last pregnancy and have only tried a couple of times with this pregnancy so i assume its ok.

I'm sure you are not at all to blame for your daughter's ADHD. We always want to find reason for those things but IMO they are out of our control.
Another interesting thing about this topic is one of dh friends who is a radiologist and his wife is pregnant. Whenever they are concerned about the baby they just do a sono and never use the doppler. I am curious to know why they would rather do a sono than a doppler. Makes me really worry about the dopplers though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search