Thursday Take it or Leave it

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MummytoB

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2013, 06:40 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Pacifiers

Do you plan on offering your baby a pacifier?

I will probably offer a pacifier when baby is a few days old. As long as our breastfeeding relationship is going good I don't see a problem with it. If we are having any problems breastfeeding then I will probably hold off until that is going well.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
September 12th, 2013, 06:52 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will offer a soothie paci after a few days or they will get one automatically if they have to stay at the hospital. connor dropped them on his own a while ago but i know he needed that comfort in the begining so iv no issue with them.

September 12th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Nerd
I'm torn on this. Looking forward to reading others' thoughts on the issue.

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
September 12th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll try this time. My first found them and bottles torture devices lol. My only fear with them is having a child that refuses to give it up when older.

September 12th, 2013, 07:22 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I will give him a paci but will probably wait to see how breast feeding goes. Frankie needed one early on at bedtime to help soothe him to sleep but it didn't last long and now he hates them. It was a big help early on and I'm glad we gave it to him. Hopefully it works the same with this one because I really don't want to try to wean him when he's older.

September 12th, 2013, 07:45 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely. If it helps soothe them, I'm for it. Meg loved hers, and it still wasn't bad giving it up when she was a year and some. Marcus was never really interested at all in them, but we gave it a shot.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
September 12th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Super Mommy
Yeah. We've read the studies of them helping to prevent SIDs, and Ashley loves her's. Only part I'm not looking forward to is potentially needing to wean.
September 12th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom says babies *HAVE* to have them. Well, mine didnt like them and I tried every different size shape and material, no go. I caught my mom when she was a few months old dipping one in a bowl of sugar to try to get her to take one She didnt understand why I was mad......sorry mom Im not forcing any child of mine to take one when it's not wanted!! Im sure i'll have a collection of them by february.

September 12th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Jibby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no idea. I know it drives me insane when I see 3 year olds with them though. Id probably try to limit the use to a bed time thing though. My mom never used them with me and my bros. What are the pros and cons?

September 12th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Elessara's Avatar Clueless first time mommy
I know I never liked them as a kid. My mom said that I had to of thought it was just some kind of horrible prank. "WT*? There's no milk in this!!" She said I would just scream louder. lol

As far as if I'd use them or not... I have no idea. I suppose I'd give it a try and see what happens, but I'm with Jibby. What are the pros and cons? :/

September 12th, 2013, 09:34 AM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ill offer one, but we don't force them. 3 of my 4 kids have been big time suckie users...

September 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Veteran
I offered them to my older two and they didn't like them. I'll probably offer it to this one but I won't force it.
September 12th, 2013, 12:04 PM
OscarsPaprika's Avatar Strong proud Army wife ;)
Ds used one sometimes until 6 months then tried to pick it back up after awhile we just threw them away and never had an issue so we'll probably try with this one for a bit
September 12th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Super Mommy
Hmmm Pro's and Con's, I'm doing this from memory so it might be a bit off.

Pro:
For babies with a big need to suck, it means something solid to take away instead of trying to get them to stop sucking their thumb.
It helps to sooth babies.
It lowers the risk of SIDs if used during bed and nap time.
Some studies have shown that it helps with breastfeeding.

Con:
The eventual need to take it away if they don't grow tired of it.
May hinder their ability to self sooth with out it.
Some studies have shown that if introduced too soon, can cause nipple confusion if you're breastfeeding.
Cost, pacifier unlike thumbs and fingers cost money and need to be replaced as they wear out or get too small.
September 12th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Amazing Mommy
I'll be getting a collection of them, try out different ones. DS loved his binky. He didn't stop using his binky until he was 3 when we took it from him. He cried but it isn't as hard as some people think to wean. And he would only take a certain kind that ONE store in the area carries. Contrary to popular belief, it does not interfere with teeth. DS's teeth are in excellent shape, not crooked, not too close together and not too far a part. I know that's been a big concern to some people.

My older brother and I never liked a binky but my little brother LOVED and was OBSESSED with his binky. My mom didn't wean him until he was 5. And he has the best teeth out of all three of us.

And personally, I think babies/toddlers are absolutely adorable with a binky.
UncetainMommy likes this.
September 12th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will offer them. They really helped and I don't have a problem with them.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
September 12th, 2013, 08:35 PM
caliroo34's Avatar Super Mommy
I will offer them. I don't have an issue with them.

September 12th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We had problems breastfeeding as DD refused to latch until she was 3 weeks old. She refused a pacifier and would angrily spit it out whenever one was stuck in her mouth. She was a thumb sucker pretty much from the get go. Because that's what we got used to, I don't think we will be offering pacifiers to this baby, but I'm open minded and might if that's the only thing that will work.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search