Daycare

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By caliroo34
  • 1 Post By Elessara

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Veteran
Well, I was in for a shock today. Several of the daycares I was interested in have waiting lists until December 2014!!! You'd have to sign up before you even GET pregnant!

Also suffering from some major sticker shock!!! Daycare is ridiculous expensive.
September 12th, 2013, 08:13 PM
caliroo34's Avatar Super Mommy
Ugh what a nightmare. Are there others available? Or will you consider a nanny or the like?
Brookem likes this.

September 12th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Veteran
Daycare is expensive, my hubby is a SAHD...it's just makes more sense for us!
September 12th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
I agree on the nanny/in home person. I REALLY love Babysitters, Nannies, Child Care and Senior Home Care - Care.com. It has been great for us but we do live just two miles from a University so there is a strong population of students for teaching, HDFS, etc. in the area. We have never had to have full time childcare and I am thankful because yes, it is very expensive!

We pay $8 an hour our our babysitter, for one three year old.

Happy wife, proud mom and aspiring Lactation Consultant.

September 13th, 2013, 03:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Day care is so expensive! That's why I decided to become a sahm. It just didn't pay off me working.

[/url]
September 13th, 2013, 05:55 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have 2 in daycare right now and for a few months after this baby is born we will have 3 in daycare. Thankfully Jackson starts kindergarten next September so we will only have to pay for three for a short time.

I found out about the waiting lists when I was pregnant with my first. I was shocked at how long the lists were. Thankfully now that I have my kids already in a daycare my new one will be able to go there also. I guess you get priority if you already have kids going there.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
September 13th, 2013, 06:05 AM
OscarsPaprika's Avatar Strong proud Army wife ;)
I tried going back to work too, financially it didn't work we saw less than a hundred of each check after paying for a decent one. He was still in diapers which made it more expensive, after all was said and done it was about 65/day 5-6 days a week. People that run home day cares here think they can charge 60 a day and call it a deal too which irritates me cause I don't trust them as it is and I'll gladly pay 5 more a day for a reputable licensed facility if I'm going to spend money on it.
Emotionally it tore me up too cause I didn't wanna pick ds up and hear from someone else all the stuff I was missing out on. So I'm happy to pinch pennies and stay at home to watch them grow. Well until preschool, then I'll be happy to drop him off to learn. I hope lol
September 13th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Elessara's Avatar Clueless first time mommy
Buh, I've done the math and around here it is way cheaper to do a daycare service than hire a nanny. About $500 less a month from most comparisons. >_>
I haven't looked into waiting lists yet though... now I'm worried. >_>
acchickpea likes this.

September 13th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some day cares want $500 a week!! are the diapers lined in gold? o.0
We figured it out once. Child care costs, gas, lunch, second car, income $20 a week. Would be working full time just to be working. Its no wonder so many choose to only have one person work. Opposite shifts it is. Also seems like all are daytime hours so I wonder what parents that work past 5pm-6pm do or shift work.

My mom had to give up one daycare once, she was 5 minutes late and when she walked in they were on the phone with CAS. "You were late!!" yeah, cause the construction OUTSIDE THE DAYCARE blocking traffic had nothing to do with it

September 13th, 2013, 09:26 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
Yup. I had the same experience. The place I LOVED had a waiting list and parents of kids enrolled also get first dibs if they get pregnant. I ended up finding another place that was just as good.
I pay $50 a day and Jake is in two days a week. My mother in law does three days for free. When I got pregnant this time, my daycare owner was like the third person I told. I NEED HER, LOL.
Thank god she is going to watch the new baby too otherwise two in daycare would be $400 a week, which is pretty much my paycheck.
September 13th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran
A nanny here costs around $1600-2600 a month!
I'm enrolled future LO at a really nice place (and I got the last spot for beginning in late March, so let's hope she dosent come early), and is $310 a week, not including diapers, etc! Insane-ness
September 13th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Nerd
As a nanny, I highly recommend them. I figure if you would pay that much to put your children around all of those other children why not have someone in your house only watching your baby? Nannies here go for $15-$20 an hr, depending on experience and duties.

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
September 15th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Veteran
Holy cow! I'm glad I live in the Midwest! I had to get on a list but there were a couple of places I could choose from who had room and I only have to pay 125/week. No one will do part time tho. My big dilemma was to choose between a center and in home licensed. At first I was thinking center because they divide by age group and there are no sick days or vacations I have to work with. Then I found an in home who had reliable subs and I may still have to deal with a sick day or vacations but my mom said she could help too when that happens. It was the less expensive choice and when I visited it felt right. Less clinical and more warm. Plus it is minutes from work and I can sneak away to nurse during the day!
September 15th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Jibby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is part of why Ill be a sahm.

September 15th, 2013, 08:10 AM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Never could I afford a nanny! I bring home about 2200 a month- 1600 to 2000 would be my income!!

We have an in home provider. It's a lot- 25 a day per kid (for my little one) and 20 a day for my older one. Luckily, and thankfully, two days a week, family helps out, but I'm not sure that will be the case for our third. I prefer in home, just for the "personal" aspect, but a lot of people prefer day care companies, as it's hard to find an in home you can trust. And I know waiting lists are so long. Licenses here only allow for the provider to have 2 under 18 months.... so they have to wait for the younger one to get older before they can accept the baby. Keep shopping- someone will be there. It's a struggle though.

September 15th, 2013, 08:44 AM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Daycare was absurd 13 yrs ago when I had my son so I can only imagine what it is now. I was lucky my mom was able to watch him until he started school. After my 2nd, me and dh decided the money I made was not worth it. I would have to spend much of what I made on daycare, gas and food just trying to work. Defeated the purpose. I hope you can find some reliable and affordable child care before little one gets here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
As a nanny, I highly recommend them. I figure if you would pay that much to put your children around all of those other children why not have someone in your house only watching your baby? Nannies here go for $15-$20 an hr, depending on experience and duties.
That is WAY more expensive then a daycare! Goodness gracious I had no idea nannies cost that much PER HR. If daycare is too expensive at $125 a week it's probably safe to say most can't afford a nanny. Would be nice to have that one on one but the cost is huge.

September 15th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMommy View Post
Daycare was absurd 13 yrs ago when I had my son so I can only imagine what it is now. I was lucky my mom was able to watch him until he started school. After my 2nd, me and dh decided the money I made was not worth it. I would have to spend much of what I made on daycare, gas and food just trying to work. Defeated the purpose. I hope you can find some reliable and affordable child care before little one gets here.

That is WAY more expensive then a daycare! Goodness gracious I had no idea nannies cost that much PER HR. If daycare is too expensive at $125 a week it's probably safe to say most can't afford a nanny. Would be nice to have that one on one but the cost is huge.
I was meaning to compare the nannies to the high end day cares around here. Some of the schools charge a LOT more than $125 a week. We are talking thousands a month.

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
September 15th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Veteran
I have been a sahm with all my older kids, I do work nights but that is after DH is home. This LO may end up in a daycare in a couple years when my youngest DS is in school full time. Seeing all this info from you guys is scareing me!!
Due Feb 15, 2014 with baby #5
Scheduled C-section on Feb 8, 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search