Dress type opinion

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2013, 09:52 PM
caliroo34's Avatar Super Mommy
So....looks like I'm getting married in 4-6 weeks. Turns out we have to for the visa. Not that we don't want to get married, just we wanted to do it "right." So we may just keep it a secret and do an actual wedding later. But it is what it is and we're gonna roll with it!

So that brings me to my question. I'd like to buy a nice dress for the event. But what kind to buy? Regular or maternity? I found a really nice place here for maternity wedding dresses but I'd have to order NOW. And will I even need a "maternity dress" by then? I'll be about 21-23 weeks. I feel like yes, I will need something other than a regular dress. But I'm afraid if I go full on maternity, it will be too big. What would you ladies do?

September 15th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Veteran
Personally, I wouldn't order anything in advance, because it probably wouldn't fit me the day of. My body seems to be changing rapidly week by week! I would go dress shopping that week. Maybe go in advance to scope things out, but buy the actual dress close to the date. You might order something online and by the time the date is here, it's too big or too small.
September 15th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Super Mommy
Congrats on your upcoming nuptials! I'm not sure what I would do...I understand where you're coming from thinking about ordering ahead of time for an actual maternity wedding dress, but I think I'm with SarahAbram84 and would probably wait until the week of a and go out and go shopping. Even if you end up with a nontraditional gown you could always wear it again throughout your pregnancy and just get the more traditional dress later if you have a bigger ceremony. Just a thought though. Good luck on whatever you decide!

1st Beta (6/17/13 - 14 dpo) - 150
2nd Beta (6/20/13 - 17 dpo) - 622
3rd Beta (6/24/13 - 21 dpo) - 2518
4th Beta (6/27/13 - 24 dpo) - 7142
1st Ultrasound (7/1/13 - 6w0d - measuring 5w6d, 103 bpm, CRL - 2.59 mm)
2nd Ultrasound (7/9/13 - 7w1d - measuring 7w1d, 144 bpm, CRL - 10.15 mm)
3rd Ultrasound (7/26/13 - 9w4d - measuring 9w4d, 140-150 bpm, CRL - 2.8 cm)
4th Ultrasound / NT Scan (8/12/13 - 12w0d - measuring 12w6d, 142 bpm, CRL - 6.5 cm)

September 16th, 2013, 01:14 AM
I know you girls are right. It's just that I haven't found any maternity stores here I like at all. None have really been my style, wedding or not. But I'll be close to one of the large shopping centers tomorrow after work so may go check it out. Perhaps one of the stores will catch my interest and I'll be able to see myself shopping there. I definitely don't need a traditional dress, so it doesn't need to have bridal gowns.

Argh. Getting married while pregnant is hard!

September 16th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Veteran
Does it have to be a maternity wedding dress? Can you get a non-maternity white dress that is loose at the waist?

Not sure if you are going for simple or fancy, but just to give you an idea, if you are going for simple.... I bought a simple white linen dress for $80 off the rack. I went to a seamstress and had them make me a very simple but pretty lace sash with pearls to put at the waist. Then I had my hair done nicely, make up etc.... total cost was less than $200 for the entire wedding get up including mani, pedi, hair etc. And I still have the dress!! (side note: I just tried it on a few days ago. It fits but I couldn't breathe!!!) I also liked it because, while I didn't sit down and sew the dress, I still had a lot of creativity with the dress. I had fun running around finding the right lace, finding a shawl to keep warm, etc. It wasn't a designer dress, but it was very much MINE, and so practical and frugal and just... ME.

Have you looked around dept stores, malls? I always thought some prom dresses could make great bridal dresses.

Totally depends on what kind of dress you want for yourself. I was against anything that was too bridal-princess-poofy looking, I wanted just simple, feminine, and pretty. In fact, I remember going to bridal dress rental places and crying because everything was so big and poofy lol. I was ready to not get married if it meant I had to wear one of those things. So I can relate on bridal dress stress. You want something that is YOU.
September 16th, 2013, 10:50 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I'm not sure what I'd do but I wanted to say congrats! When I was pregnant with my son we got married and kept it a secret and we had our big wedding a year later. I was only 8 weeks so I didn't need maternity clothes and I didn't even wear a dress
September 16th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know myself, a "secret" wedding I wouldnt bother with a dress, and for the big one I'd go all out.

September 16th, 2013, 11:50 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Unless this is a dress that you think you are going to wear at your big wedding later then I would just get something simple. I would either get something is too big now and if you needed to you could have taken in or I would wait and get something right before so you know it would fit. If you did find a maternity dress it would most like fit now and in a few weeks. I know most of my maternity stuff will last though the entire pregnancy.

Congratulations!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
September 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I got married when I was 28 weeks pregnant with my daughter. I just got a regular dress just a size bigger. It was a flowy dress that wasnt tight and flowed out near the belly so even if I grew a little but it would still be fine. I got it a month before the wedding and it fit perfect. I will see if I can find a picture.
sorry if they pictures are huge. But that was my dress. It was soo comfy, and it was only $150.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!

Last edited by mama_2_Callen; September 16th, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
September 17th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Thanks girls! I had a look at some stores today and while none of the maternity ones were worth it, I did find a couple not so tight regular ones that might do the trick. At least I know what stores to look at now!

Turns out it may not be a secret after all. My SO really wants to at least tell the families. I'm kind of bummed because I know if we do I won't want a "real" wedding later. But it's not just my decision so I'm just going to suck it up and go with it. And his reasons for wanting to tell are really sweet, so I feel like such a witch saying I want to hide it. So I'm trying to focus on the fact that I'm marrying my love and not the fact that I won't get the wedding or proposal I'd dreamed of. Which makes the dress even more important as this will be the only wedding I get. I'm not getting a bridal gown, just a regular, semi-fancy white or light colored dress

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search