I have no idea when I'm due

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Veteran
...and it's sort of driving me nuts.

According to last menstrual period, (and ovulation symptoms would agree,) I am 18 weeks today. According to my ob/gyn I am 16 weeks.

She determined this based on a visit to her when I should have been 8 weeks. She said there that I was only 6 weeks.

So I don't know when the heck I am due, but I sort of feel uneasy about it now.

If ob/gyn is right, that means I ovulate days before my period is due. Which I guess is totally possible but I swore I felt ovulation symptoms around day 11 or 12.

And if she's right that means that I felt flutters at 11 weeks, not 13 (and as a FTM).

Does it matter anyway? Or should I go see someone else and get dated again? Can they do that at this point? I heard the farther along you are, the less they can accurately date you.
September 15th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
That must be really frustrating!

It's true that the further along you are the less accurately they can predict. However... if you get to 25 weeks and you are measuring ahead a week consistently for two months they will change your date.

11 weeks is early to feel kicks as a first time mommy! But more importantly, I think you know your body and you are in tune waaaaaay more than a Doc is. On the other hand, you could have ovulated late that month so although your period was anticipated only a few days later it would not have come.

Statistically it is most likely that you will go over your due date so there's that to consider also.

I think the only thing that would make this a big deal (other than being annoying) is if for some reason they decided to induce you or you ended up with a scheduled C-section. In both cases you would have an appointment scheduled prior to spontaneous labor and if they did it too early that would be a problem!

In my opinion (and it is just that) I think it is better to go with what they are saying and know in your gut that they are wrong. This way they will be more inclined to let you go late rather than take the baby early and I am always for letting a baby cook as long as possible!

Good luck

Happy wife, proud mom and aspiring Lactation Consultant.

September 15th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Jibby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Id say go by your docs measurements.

September 16th, 2013, 06:34 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dr says the first dating ultrasound is always the most accurate. After about 10 or 12 weeks babies will start growing at their own pace but most babies grow at the same pace for the first 10 weeks so I would go by the dr's measurments at the first appointment. Plus your dr should continue to monitor baby's size. usually the longer the baby cooks the better.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
September 16th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Veteran
I would say go with the your Dr's measurements. If you go by yours, you will be more likely to get frustrated and think you're running "late". The first u/s is the most accurate for size. And it would do wonders to let baby decide.
September 16th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
have you tried the pregnancy calendar on this site? I did that with my due date from my u/s that came up as Im 13 weeks, only to see when I conceived because I was curious as im irregular and have no idea. Was on the long weekend apparently, yep, makes sense for me

September 16th, 2013, 08:05 AM
acchickpea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's odd... Because I think most Doctors go by your last menstral cycle to date your pregnancy not by when you ovulate.... Curious to know how she dated you 2 weeks earlier then what you thought....
September 16th, 2013, 11:39 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
I thought my doc was off too. I thought I was a week more pregnant than the ultrasound showed, but I'm going my the u/s because they take the baby's measurements and my periods aren't totally regular. I'd take Brooke's advice. I agree with her post.
September 16th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Veteran
I'd go by the later date just to ensure that baby has adequate time for growth. 2 weeks can be a big deal when/if they're talking about induction later on, especially if it is 2 weeks early. March of Dimes says that babies born in the 39th week or later are the healthiest (not saying babies can't be born healthy before, bu this is what they think is optimal).

September 16th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Amazing Mommy
I think my ob/gyn office is off on my dates as well. I'm not sure when I ovulated as my cycles were irregular and between 26-32 days and using OPKs I noticed some months I ovulated late.

BUT I had two early ultrasounds before my ob/gyn office did one. According to the two early ones, I'm due Feb 21, according to my cycle and ob/gyn office I'm due Feb 25. I feel Feb 21 is more accurate, so I count that as my due date. Although it doesn't really matter in my case because I'll probably be induced again unless I go into labor on my own before 39 weeks. Which, thinking about it, is a little annoying. 39 week induction will be a couple days off if my ob/gyn goes by their dates for induction. My son's birthday is Feb 22nd, I'm hoping to keep their birthdays separate as well as me and baby being out of L&D on DS's birthday.

I understand your frustration over it. I think we know our bodies better than our doctors do, no offense to them. Go with what your intuition says.
September 16th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Veteran
By my dates i am due on Feb 15, but the doctor was me as the 16th. I like the 15th better, so it is the date I use.
Due Feb 15, 2014 with baby #5
Scheduled C-section on Feb 8, 2014

September 16th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Did she date you using an u/s?

Are you getting an anantomy scan done at 20 weeks?

September 16th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Veteran
When I went in at (what I thought was) 8 weeks, she said I was 6 weeks by looking at the ultrasound. There was no measuring or anything. It was a super quick u/s that lasted 20 seconds. I was there just to check on the baby because I had had bleeding. She said, "there's the heartbeat, baby is fine" and that was the end of the u/s. I thought it was very abbreviated for a dating scan, but what do I know, she's the ob/gyn.

When I tried to say that by my last period I was two weeks ahead of that, she just said, "anything is possible".

I'm not in an english speaking country, and there's a big language barrier because I don't speak the native language here so well. I go to her because while her english isn't so good, she speaks at least a little so we can get by.

She also told me that it's too early for me to feel flutters at this point (I am 16-18 weeks depending on who is right) but it seems it's pretty common for even FTM to feel movement so not sure why she told me it's "impossible". She also said that my hemoglobin level has nothing to do with my iron, which is sorta true but still very related I thought??

So to tell you the truth I don't really trust her completely lol

I wanted to know for my own state of mind really... it's fun to learn about the baby's development week by week. So I guess I'll leave it on my medical records that I'm 16 weeks right now, and keep thinking that I'm really 18 weeks.
September 16th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Veteran
Hemoglobin is partially made of iron. And iron carries the oxygen. So I'm not sure why she says they aren't related? So some people with low iron get "iron-deficient anemia". On the flip, you can have anemia NOT caused by low iron, as anemia can be due to lots of things (iron deficiency being one of them).

As far as dating goes, I agree with the other ladies, and say go with your doc. If she measured gestational sac, that would be an accurate measurement.
September 17th, 2013, 02:39 AM
caliroo34's Avatar Super Mommy
When I went to the ER because of bleeding, baby was dating behind almost 2 full weeks. And because my LMP was a withdrawal bleed from getting off birth control, the doctors thought I must be wrong about when I ovulated. But I was pretty sure I knew my dates so I was scared to death that baby wasn't growing.

Then I went to the dating scan and baby was right in line with what I thought. So either she "caught up" or they were wrong to begin with. And she was still on time with the NT scan.

So...I do think it's possible for the scans to be wrong. I know in general they're quite accurate, but I've had one be wrong so I'm now a skeptic.

Last edited by caliroo34; September 17th, 2013 at 02:42 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search