Yikes!

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Nerd
I've always struggled with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). This morning it was REALLY bad. I ate breakfast, took the dog out for a walk/run, showered, and then started driving to go pick up today's child from preK. I knew I was hungry when I left the house but I figured I would make it to the Wendy's right before his school. That was not so true. About 20 mins into the drive I started feeling extra hungry. Then I got REALLY hot and started pouring sweat. This all happened as I noticed my hands getting shaky. Thank goodness for the glucose tablets I keep in my car for low blood sugar emergencies. I chewed my last remaining three. That got me 10 mins down the road to Wendy's. I think if I had not have had those sugar tablets I would have passed out. I don't know what happens if you pass out from low blood sugar? I think I would have had time to pull onto the interstate shoulder, but I'm not sure I could have called 911.

Close call today.

I'm feeling much better now after a small frosty and spicy chicken sandwich. A little weak, but grateful I didn't pass out.

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
September 16th, 2013, 11:45 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow that sounds really scary. I would hope you would have time to pull off the road but you never know. I would just try to not get too hungry again especially if your driving. Glad you are ok.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
September 16th, 2013, 12:21 PM
acchickpea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow ... good thing for those tablets! Make sure to get more to put in your car! They seem like they were life savers!
Happy to hear that you are good...
September 16th, 2013, 12:37 PM
OscarsPaprika's Avatar Strong proud Army wife ;)
I have hypoglycemia as well, it is pretty scary and so glad you're ok. Along with the tablets I have a small bag of "mommy candy" in the car since it dissolves slower sometimes it lasts a little longer in case that happens again, it might help. You could also talk to your doc about doing that oh so tasty gestational diabetes test sooner to make sure it isn't turning into g.d
September 16th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Cheerleading/Football Mom
So glad your okay. Not to scare you, but if that happens and you pass out while driving, you risk losing your license. Hope you keep your sugar up at a normal level. What a scary thing you went through. Get you some more glucose tabs and it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep some snacks in your car too ;-) glad your ok

It wouldn't be a permanent license lost, but I know when people,have seizures they get the,privilege taken until medically clear.
September 16th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have low blood pressure, while I know it's not the same (and it's only a problem when preggo) I need to make sure I have something in my stomach and stay out of the sun for too long cause I get dizzy and if dizzy enough, I get disoriented, lose my vision and next thing I know Im on the ground and dont know how I got there. If hypoglycemia is the same, you wont have time to pull over. For me, keeping Gatorade in the car helps.

September 16th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Nerd
You ladies are wonderful! My husband will be so glad to hear I received some tips and warnings. He gets very concerned. He wants me to talk to my doctor about this ASAP. I've always had problems where I get really cranky or can't make up my mind. It's rough on him. I love the Gatorade idea. Before I hit the commute home I'll be re-upping on my stash of tablets for sure.

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
September 17th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Veteran
This happened to me, also while driving, about 3 weeks ago. I pulled over and luckily had some cashews with me! I thought about calling 911 if it didn't improve, because I knew I couldn't drive like that, and hubby was at work! But I didn't want to go to hospital, because I knew what was wrong, and didn't want a huge bill. In hindsight, I probably would have called a cab, lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search