Doctor prescribed Procardia...

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2013, 12:53 PM
rnholly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my regular OB check up today. I mentioned to her I had been having Braxton hicks quite frequently when I am on my feet at work all day. I try to rest when I can and drink plenty of water. However she seemed concerned and said if it started happening more she would check my cervix. She prescribed me Procardia and told me to take it if I felt bad on any given day. Now I am a nurse and I did my fair share of research... Which now has me terrified! I can't find anyone who takes it on a as needed basis, it's all women who are already dilated and taking it 3 to 4 times a day. Any one here who has taken this med? I would love some advice!
October 15th, 2013, 01:03 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never been prescribed that before. How often are you having Braxton Hicks? I have been having them some also. I am going to mention them to my dr at my next appointment. I wonder why your dr didn't go ahead and check your cervix or schedule an ultrasound to check it?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
October 15th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Nerd
No experience or advice. Just hugs your way. Don't stop asking questions until you have all of the information you need.

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
October 15th, 2013, 07:05 PM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was given procardia at 34 weeks of my last pregnancy because I was contracting for 15 hours. Not BH, real contractions. But not labor-no dilation, the contractions weren't changing at all. They gave me two doses to get them to stop and they finally did after the second dose. But that's my only experience with it...

October 16th, 2013, 06:02 AM
rnholly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have them only if I'm at work or on my feet a lot. I try to stay off my feet as much as I can if I'm at home. I am not sure why she didn't go ahead and check my cervix, I was hoping she would. I talked to a former coworker who works L and D now and she made me feel better about taking the Procardia. I have not had any signs of preterm labor, but I have a very irritable uterus. I just wasn't expecting to have to take meds for this....
October 16th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
I've never even heard of it. My BX have slowed down, not nearly as often or as strong as they were when I first complained about them. I agree that the doc should have checked you first.

My Beautiful Children
Morgan - Jan 2006
Alastrin - Apr 2007

Liam - Mar 2011
Aria - Feb 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search