Circumcision

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PrettyMommy
  • 1 Post By Brookem

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Super Mommy
So this is frustrating. I'm trying to find unbiased information on circumcision so that I can decide if I want to argue against it. All I'm finding is very emotional don't mutilate your baby articles, and possibly flawed studies from Africa about how it lowers HIV infection rates. I just want to know what the possible benefits of both side actually are, and what the rates of it going wrong are. Does anyone know of such articles that are not wikipedia?
November 9th, 2013, 09:49 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
Super hard to find, and I have Very strong opinions on it so won't state them lol, one of my blinkies states my side on it.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

November 9th, 2013, 10:31 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
what your looking for is very hard to come by

here is the AAPs statement on circumcision for starters
Newborn Male Circumcision

here is an artical explaining the results of a study published in Thymos: Journal of Boyhood Studies (its one of the only current studies in circumcision mortality rates I can find) however the site is an anti circ site
Circumcision | Infant circumcision causes 100 deaths each year in US | ICGI - Genital Integrity & Intactivism

here is one of the most unbiased lists of pros and cons I have come across
Circumcision: Pros and Cons | Mother-Baby Health | Southeast Michigan | Wayne State Family Care | Wayne State University Physicians Group

finally for some personal input my son is not circed he may have been if our insurance covered it but it didnt and we saw no reson to pay out of pocket for a optional procedure we had no religious or philosophical attachment to. additionally we reasoned that that if he gets older and wants it done he can have it done if he gets older and wants his forskin back thats kinda hard to do.

November 9th, 2013, 10:31 AM
double posted so ignore this unless i think of something else to add lol

November 9th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks so much. I'll probably read those while Ashley is napping.
November 9th, 2013, 11:35 AM
OscarsPaprika's Avatar Strong proud Army wife ;)
I honestly think your best chance at that info is to ask your doctor for pros and cons, not just opinion. You'll find a lot of opinion themed stuff, but facts are difficult to come across, and in truth, because it is such a touchy subject, even most of the so called unbiased stuff has some opinion bleeding into the fact side.
we didn't talk to a doctor, I didn't look anything up, I knew I wanted my son done. Dh wasn't done until he was older, and although he said the pain wasn't awful, he does say he wishes his parents had done it sooner. It leaves a scar that can leave a two toned skin situation which can make men self conscious...plus, I said this in the last convo about this, I've known a LOT of guys, I don't really get along with many females, and not once have I ever heard any of them say they wish they had their foreskin back lol
Debra, proud Army wife to Jesse since February 2011, even Prouder Mommy to Nikolai since February 2011 induction at 36w with pre-e 5lbs and Cassidy born at 33 weeks 2 days at 3lbs 10oz December 2013, natural birth 11 days after PPROM and chorioamnioitis!!
Always remembering our 8 angels (2007-2012)
November 9th, 2013, 11:46 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
The only thing with the dr. Approach is they're human too and have an opinion one way or another.

What I tell people in trying to decide is this:

What does your son want? We can't answer this, which is why I feel its only fair to wait til he can decide.
Don't base a decision on "looking like dad" or letting dad decide just because he has a penis (that's his penis, not his sons).
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

November 9th, 2013, 01:11 PM
part of the reson its so hard to find unbiased info is because its a personal decision

"after a comprehensive review of the scientific evidence, the American Academy of Pediatrics found the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks, but the benefits are not great enough to recommend universal newborn circumcision. The AAP policy statement published Monday, August 27, says the final decision should still be left to parents to make in the context of their religious, ethical and cultural beliefs"

when the official stance is weve got nothing do whatever you think is best....... anything that tells you what to do is biased because it is an opinion. the best you can do is look at those viewpoints weight what facts you can find and do what you feel is best.

November 9th, 2013, 01:12 PM
OscarsPaprika's Avatar Strong proud Army wife ;)
This is true, but they also have an ethical code to separate opinion and feeling from fact and most practices have more than one doctor, so you might be able to find out a little more, maybe recommend some medical articles or studies as well
Debra, proud Army wife to Jesse since February 2011, even Prouder Mommy to Nikolai since February 2011 induction at 36w with pre-e 5lbs and Cassidy born at 33 weeks 2 days at 3lbs 10oz December 2013, natural birth 11 days after PPROM and chorioamnioitis!!
Always remembering our 8 angels (2007-2012)
November 9th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Circumcision is not very common in the UK. I think it's a decision for everyone to make themselves. For my own sons my opinion is why go through a medical procedure that is potentially painful and risk infection if not absolutely necessary. I couldn't imagine handing my newborn so over for the doc to do it.

[/url]
November 9th, 2013, 02:00 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
It is really hard to find article with actual facts and not opinion on circumcision. I know we had trouble last year researching this topic, I knew what I wanted (or didn't want to do) but I wanted to know risk and benefits of each. I just got so frustrated searching for info. It is a personal decision there can be issues/problems whether you decided to circumcise or not.

We decided against doing it. I decided almost 10 years before having children that I wouldn't do it, it was after being present for a circumcision in nursing school. Dh thought on it is that it we take it off, we can't put it back and ds can decide later to have it done if he wants. Also, we couldn't find a good enough reason.

Good luck on your search!

November 9th, 2013, 03:57 PM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Indeed hard to find info. My pedi always told me it's cosmetic. And of course people do it for religious reasons which is why insurance covers it but other then that my general understanding is unless your faith supports it there is no medical reason to do it. I don't circumcise my boys after I had my first son done. Just no reason in my opinion and my boys are fine, never an infection or complication.
Brookem likes this.

November 9th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
This would certainly be a difficult unbias study to find. Maybe look at PubMed or Ebsco? They are usually filled with more pages of resources than the actual article.

We are not circumcising our son because I have taken a lot of science classes and know that the human body is amazing and every little flap of skin has a purpose. I love science . That being said, ALL hot button topics are so heated because both sides have some valuable information. Nothing judgey from me .

You're a good mommy for choosing to educate yourself, that I know is true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniek85 View Post
It is really hard to find article with actual facts and not opinion on circumcision. I know we had trouble last year researching this topic, I knew what I wanted (or didn't want to do) but I wanted to know risk and benefits of each. I just got so frustrated searching for info. It is a personal decision there can be issues/problems whether you decided to circumcise or not.

We decided against doing it. I decided almost 10 years before having children that I wouldn't do it, it was after being present for a circumcision in nursing school. Dh thought on it is that it we take it off, we can't put it back and ds can decide later to have it done if he wants. Also, we couldn't find a good enough reason.

Good luck on your search!
I have heard of people asking their DH or other people to watch a video online and THEN trying to make a case in favor... No thank you! I would be traumatized for life if half the men I have heard about were as traumatized as they say. Shudder. (I also could never ever ever in my long legged life be an RN, so there's more to it than the circ factor for me! I am a gore weenie! )
UncetainMommy likes this.

Happy wife, proud mom and aspiring Lactation Consultant.

November 10th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Veteran
Try pubmed they only post actual studies and that is what we use in grad school. You still have to understand the strength of the study etc but there is good info there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search