Exciting and Disappointing Appointment

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So, I had my follow up appointment with the high-risk OB yesterday. I left with mixed emotions, to say the least...

Let's get the disappointing part out of the way: At my first appointment with her, my blood pressure was sky high. Yesterday, it was perfectly normal. She still thinks I have hypertension. I don't. My regular OB and I have been monitoring it diligently. On days I don't get a normal reading, we can pretty well determine what caused it... usually stress or eating sunflower seeds on the whole hour-long trip to the doctor's office.

We are NOT concerned with my BP. Read the referral from my OB and you'll see that we only want your high-risk opinion on my intracranial hypertension and your better ultrasound tech to see my baby.

She also gave me the 3rd degree on my gestational diabetes. I have a few high numbers, but we're still in a learning phase with what I can and cannot eat. She just made me feel like an ugly fat woman who doesn't know how to take care of herself. My OB thinks I'm doing great and is proud of how well I'm doing on monitoring and adjusting what I eat/when I eat.

But, there was some good news...

Baby is still a girl and her heart looks great. At the last U/S, they couldn't get a good look at her septum or aortic arch. Yesterday, she cooperated and we got really good pictures of those specific details. She also let us look at her little spine and it looks good, too! The u/s tech said she looks great. (The stupid high-risk OB said that because of my abdominal wall fat, they are only about 80% sure she's ok because the fat reduces the quality of images on the U/S. The tech wasn't worried and reassured us again before leaving that baby is FINE.)

The one good thing we got from the OB is her OK to try a vaginal delivery!!!! My OB was concerned about the spinal fluid pressure during pushing and wanted my neurologists opinion and the high-risk OB's opinion... they both say it's OK. So we should be good to try!!!

The high-risk OB did say that if I have a long labor, her recommendation would be to intervene and do a c-section. The longer labor lasts, the more pressure that will build. So let's hope I progress at a decent pace when the time comes!
November 10th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Nerd
Jeralynn, over all that sounds like a GREAT appointment! I'm sorry that the high risk doc was so blunt and lacked understanding about your blood pressure and sugar levels. Having a bad attitude never helped anyone. I think you are right to just take the facts of the appointment and turn off all of her other comments and talking points. To know you have GD is step one. No one masters their sugar levels overnight. You will get the hang of it. It's a tricky condition that I feel fortunate not to have. I LIVE on high sugar foods so it would be a huge, uncomfortable lifestyle change for me. You just keep up the good work. delivery day will be here before you know it

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
November 10th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Your high risk doctor sounds horrible! At least your regular one is nice and supportive!

[/url]
November 10th, 2013, 09:24 AM
victoria0294's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Overall it sounds like a good appointment!
My BP is usually high when I'm at the dr because I'm nervous. But I take it at home a few times a day and it's always perfect. Maybe next time ask them to give you time to relax and have them re-take it? We did this a few weeks ago at my high risk OB. When I first got there it was something like 157/75 ish. She had me lay down for a few minutes, on my left side, to "think about the beaches of Aruba" lol, and that worked. She took it again and it was 112/60something.
But it sounds like it's usually good for you at your regular OB, so I wouldn't worry about it!

expecting identical twin girls!!
November 10th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Super Mommy
Other than the doctors attitude it sounds like a good appointment.

Don't worry you'll get the hang of what foods work for your gd soon enough. Oatmeal and apples were evil for me last time. Still crossing my fingers and toes that I stay borderline this time.
November 10th, 2013, 11:27 AM
OscarsPaprika's Avatar Strong proud Army wife ;)
Your high risk doc sounds like a jerk and they sucks I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Gd takes some time to adjust to, so I'd just let that roll off as best you can, you know you're doing your best and working on adjusting and that's what matters right now.
I'm glad you get to try a vaginal delivery though, that's great news! And as long as your ob says your pressure is fine I wouldn't worry about that much right now either. Glad to hear baby is doing good too
Debra, proud Army wife to Jesse since February 2011, even Prouder Mommy to Nikolai since February 2011 induction at 36w with pre-e 5lbs and Cassidy born at 33 weeks 2 days at 3lbs 10oz December 2013, natural birth 11 days after PPROM and chorioamnioitis!!
Always remembering our 8 angels (2007-2012)
November 10th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
Glad the ultrasound went well. Sorry your high risk doc is crappy. Abdominal wall fat? Really? I'm big and was with last two as well and I have never heard about it being harder to see through ultrasound. Even if it does make it harder, did he have to be so blunt?

My Beautiful Children
Morgan - Jan 2006
Alastrin - Apr 2007

Liam - Mar 2011
Aria - Feb 2014
November 10th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Super Mommy
The most I've had mentioned fat is being told that as a bigger girl I need to be extra sure I have a full bladder when I go in for ultrasounds. They only mentioned it once per pregnancy though and were very careful to phrase it as politely as possible.
November 10th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow talk about a crumby bed side manner. I'm sorry she was so mean! I would have given her a piece of my mind. My temper is a little on the short side these days lol. Don't take what she said to heart. Your regular OB says you're doing fine, so I'm sure you are.

I'm very glad the ultrasound went well and honestly I'd listen to the tech more than to the high risk OB about those results. That's great you can try for a natural!! At least that high risk OB wasn't entirely rotten and gave you the go ahead for that.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

November 11th, 2013, 06:56 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never been a huge fan of the high risk drs. I have one plus my regular OB and I love my regular OB but the High Risk dr no so much.

So glad that you can try for a vaginal delivery and that your baby girl looks healthy. I have never heard that abdominal fat can get in the way of the ultrasound. Glad the tech gave you some more reassurance.

If your like me you see your regular OB way more than the high risk dr so I would just keep in contact with your regular OB about your blood pressure and gestational diabetes. Sounds like you are doing good on both and that the high risk dr just wanting something to grip about.

And glad she's still a girl!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
November 11th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the support and understanding, ladies!

I'm feeling better about everything today. I don't have to see the high-risk OB for 8 more weeks -- and I'm going to ask my regular OB if I even have to continue since we did get the OK on vaginal delivery.

I know that what my OB says is the important opinion to listen to. She has a much better bedside manner and has just been great so far. I know I'm harder on myself than I have to be... and for the high-risk OB to not be the reassuring type, I just got really down on myself.

I have an appointment on Friday w/ my OB, and am looking forward to discussing my glucose numbers, blood pressure, and delivery options. I know that I am doing the best I can to make sure my little lady stays healthy. And ultimately, that's what matters... (along with the opinion of the doctor that has seen me every 4 weeks since I got pregnant, and will continue to see me every other week for quite a while... she KNOWS my story!)
November 11th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am glad that you got to see your baby girl again. Sorry the high risk doctor's bedside manner left much to be desired. I am glad that you get to try for a vaginal birth. Getting your gd under control takes a little bit of time and learning. But sound like you have a great OB that is really supportive.

November 11th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Jibby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your high risk doc sounds like a jack arse. I'm glad to hear you get to try for the birth you want!

November 13th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Super Mommy
So glad your appt. went well overall and that your girl is still a girl and a cooperative healthy little girl at that!! Sorry about your high risk dr. I hate rude people. I am also heavy and thankfully I have not experienced this rudeness. Really other than upsetting you what is the purpose of making a big deal about it. We can't do anything about it while we're pregnant anyway, so I don't see his point. GD is hard. I had it with ds and I'm sure I'll have it this time as well. Don't beat yourself up. It takes time to figure out what sets off your sugars. Good luck!

1st Beta (6/17/13 - 14 dpo) - 150
2nd Beta (6/20/13 - 17 dpo) - 622
3rd Beta (6/24/13 - 21 dpo) - 2518
4th Beta (6/27/13 - 24 dpo) - 7142
1st Ultrasound (7/1/13 - 6w0d - measuring 5w6d, 103 bpm, CRL - 2.59 mm)
2nd Ultrasound (7/9/13 - 7w1d - measuring 7w1d, 144 bpm, CRL - 10.15 mm)
3rd Ultrasound (7/26/13 - 9w4d - measuring 9w4d, 140-150 bpm, CRL - 2.8 cm)
4th Ultrasound / NT Scan (8/12/13 - 12w0d - measuring 12w6d, 142 bpm, CRL - 6.5 cm)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search