C-section recovery?

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2013, 04:33 PM
victoria0294's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Because of TTTS, my doctors feel that a c-section will be the safest way for me to deliver because they don't know how well the smaller baby will do with a vaginal delivery. I'm not thrilled, but at least I know ahead of time that I'm having a c-section. The most important thing is to do what's best for the babies.

My question is what can I expect with a c-section? I know it's a major surgery, and I'd like to be as prepared as possible. I talked to my mom who had 2 c-sections, but it was so long ago that she had them I was looking for input from people who have had them more recently.

I was also wondering about exercising afterward? I know I won't be able to jump back into P90X like before I got pregnant lol, and it's going to be a slow start especially since I've been on bed rest since week 17 and am very out of shape. But for those of you who have exercised after a c-section what was best for you?

Thanks for any input!!

expecting identical twin girls!!
November 10th, 2013, 04:51 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I had a c section almost a year ago. I was in labor for 12 hours with an epi before my c section. I can tell you how it went for me: they started off by shaving me and cleaning the area. The put the numbing med through the epi (I'm not sure how this goes if scheduled). They made the first cut, which I didn't even know they did, didn't feel a thing. Then dh could come in. There was a lot of pulling, pushing and tugging..it was pretty uncomfortable but not painful. After about 20 minutes they pulled him out (at this point I had chest and shoulder pain which is normal for some, I mention it because I wasn't expecting and it freaked me out). I was not able to see ds right away because he needed assessed because of meconium in the fluid, but I believe they normally show you the baby/babies as they come out). They stitched me up and that was about 30 mins. Then I went to recovery for about an hour. It really wasn't all that bad. I was stitched internally and the closed with glue and steri strips.

I was able to get up and walk the next day. Those first few times getting up and walking were rough, I felt very weak. By the time I got home I was able to take walks around our block, slow walks. I walked everyday. At 6 weeks I was given the ok to exercise and go back to normal activity. At that point I did walking and hip hop abs lol.

November 10th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This might scare you, but be assured a scheduled csection recovery is often reported to be much easier than one after a huge long labor. You'll probably have a much easier time than I experienced.

My csection was with my now almost two year old. I labored 44 hours and pushed for 3 before I gave up and OB said she was stuck. By the time the csection came around, I don't remember very well what was happening around me (don't even remember seeing DD), I just remember what was happening to me. I was extremely out of it. DH was let in at some point just after it started after he changed into scrubs. He kind of went a little pale which didn't help me any lol. I experienced some out of the ordinary sensations in addition to the regular ones (pulling and pushing and pressure). It wasn't painful, just dozens of static shock type zaps every minute or so while I was being opened up. There was also a time when my leg jerked so violently that it dropped off the side of the table sometime during it. I was not strapped down, but I know being strapped to the table is common, in case you have a seizure or something (or twitch randomly lol). I had no sense of time though. There was a clock, but I couldn't process what it was saying so I don't know how long it took to get DD out.

DH left with DD for the nursery and regular newborn check up after she was held up to me (I only know she was because of pictures). I didn't see them again until well over an hour after I was wheeled to a triage room before going to my actual "recovery" room. I remember that meeting as our first meeting.

I was in severe pain for 3-4 days after, every bit as bad as pitocin contractions with a broken epidural machine. In other words, can't move excruciating. I have a weird reaction to narcotics so that's not an option, but vicodin and some others were offered. Instead, it was kept semi tolerable by this injectable kind of ibuprofen that went into my IV then when my IV was removed, managed by a tiny dose of motrin every 6 hours that almost didn't do anything for me. I was up walking (very slowly) 12 hours after the csection. I usually take 2 just for period cramps. One after a major surgery didn't do much lol. I was discharged after around 3 days which were a sleepless, painful blur. It wasn't until I got home that I actually started feeling better.

Once I got home, I immediately upped my dose of motrin to two pills so I could function and was off that by 7 or 8 days after getting home, so 9-10 days after the csection. I was back to feeling semi normal by 3 weeks. Just a little sore but more like how you feel after a hard ab work out. Not super painful in other words. I was allowed on normal activity around 5-6 weeks.

Sorry for my novel lol. My advice for you, and this may be a 'no duh', but still worth mentioning, is to get as much rest as you can. You'll be recovering from a major surgery in addition to taking care of two newborns. You'll heal much faster if you let yourself sleep as often as is possible, even if that means letting the housework slide a little bit and/or ordering pizza delivery more often than usual. That applies to any new parent, but doubly so to those undergoing csections and bringing home twins.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

November 11th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Thank you for your responses ladies!
DH was actually just talking about cooking a bunch of meals and freezing them, so that will help a lot. My mom did this for us after I had my TTTS surgery so it would be one less thing for DH to have to do, and I know it was a huge help for him. Especially since I can't even help with housework.
I'll definitely listen to my body and not push it.

I am nervous about getting a c-section, but I'm glad I know ahead of time. So hopefully it won't be too bad.

November 11th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've had 2 c-sections. My first I was only 19, so I was very scared. It was an emergency and I was put to sleep. They must have noticed me begin to wake up because when I opened my eyes he was there in my arms. It really was a very special moment. Back then you had 4 nights and 5 days in hospital. The first day I could get up and shower. It wasn't painful to walk around, but I was kind of crouched over a bit. By the end of the 5 days I could walk around normally. I couldn't use my stomach muscles to push the pram though for 10 days. By 3 weeks I felt completely normal. I was stitched inside and stappled outside. It didn't hurt when they took the staples out.

My scheduled c-section was great! I went in and put my gown on. Then walked down to the OR. I got up on the bed and they put the line on my arm. That was the worst bit for me because they can never find a vein. Once that was done they did the spinal. They have a feel around then give a local first which is a little like a bee sting. Then the area is pretty numb. You feel a little pushing when they do the spinal, but it isn't painful, just a bit uncomfortable. Then you lie down and your dh can come in. There were lots of people in the room and I did feel a bit scared because I wasn't sure how much I would feel. They don't start until you are completely numb and they put a sheet up so you can't see. I was panicking a little about the initial cut. I said I guess you are about to start. The doctor said oh we already started about 5 minutes ago. Then I felt pressure and a bit of pulling. Then Alex started crying and they dropped the sheet so I could see him. They quickly rubbed him down and gave him to dh, put lay him between us so we could look at him. Alex was born at 1 in the afternoon. By 9am the next morning my catheter, and the line in my arm had been removed and I could have a shower. The night before I was given a bedbath. That night I was pretty pain free. It took a couple of hours for the feeling to come back in my legs and the morphine was great. If you had pain you could just press the button and the morphine would go in through the drip. The day after I had some tablets that went up my butt to help with pain and also oral painkillers. I could move about and look after Alex with no problems. I was in hospital 2 nights. I found that if I kept up with the painkillers I was fine. Walking around the house was ok although I was a little slow at first. I'm having a c-section this time too and don't feel scared about it at all. The only thing I feel anxious about is them finding a vein for the IV.

With my last c-section I was stitched inside and outside with dissolvable stitches

[/url]
November 11th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I echo what Melanie said, you will feel some pulling and tugging. I remember feeling the doctor pushing down on my belly so hard that I had a hard time breathing. My arms were strapped down to the table. After they got baby out, hubs followed him to the nursery while they sewed me up. Make sure you ask for an abdominal binder to wear. I was lucky that my nurses put that on me in the recovery room while I waited to be moved to a post partum room. The abdominal binder was my best friend for the first several weeks after my c-section. I know that first night I wasn't allowed out of the bed for more than a few minutes just to stand up and sit back down in the bed. I did have my foley catheter removed that first night. I did get some pretty intense gas cramps but those went away after a day or so. The first day after my c-section I was allowed to get up, shower, and walked the halls with hubs while pushing our son in his little bed. My big thing I was to emphasize don't be afraid to take pain medicine, having a c-section is a major surgery so you are going to hurt. No one will think any less of you for having to take pain medicine, it is there to help you recover.

November 12th, 2013, 06:14 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never had one but I think it is a good thing that yours is scheduled. I would much rather have a scheduled one than an emergency one. And you are doing what you need to do to prepare yourself.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
November 12th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Thank you ladies! Yeah I definitely won't be afraid of pain meds. I've only had 2 other surgeries before- my tonsils and adenoids when I was little, so I don't remember it. And then my TTTS laser surgery I had 10 weeks ago. The laser surgery was very minimal. The incision was the size of my pinky nail, and I didn't need any pain killers, not even Tylenol, afterward.

I've also heard of asking for the abdominal binder, so I'll be sure to do that!

It's helpful for me to hear other people's experiences, it calms my nerves a little

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search