Traveling for the holidays

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By melaniek85
  • 1 Post By Kalia20
  • 1 Post By OscarsPaprika

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2013, 06:29 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is anyone planning on traveling for the holidays?

Thanksgiving we are headed to Rhode Island, which is a 4-5 hour drive. That seems fine, we make the trip a few times a year.

Christmas, we are planning on Vermont with my mom, which is also a 4-5 hour drive we are used to making. I'll be 31-32 weeks then.

Does that seem safe? Too late?

(next year I'm making them all come to me! bwahaha!)

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
November 12th, 2013, 06:37 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are not traveling for the holidays but all of our family is close by. My husband's parents are about 45 minutes away so that is as far as we have to go.

i think you will be fine to travel at Christmas. Definitely mention it to your dr but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to go. i think most drs recommend not flying after 36 weeks but being in the car for 4 or 5 hours should be find.

I love Vermont. We vacationed at Stowe Vermont when I was in school in Massachusetts and it was so beautiful.
smsturner likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
November 12th, 2013, 07:10 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I think traveling at 31-32 weeks would be fine.
Our families are coming here for thanksgiving. Then we will we travel to see dh family Christmas eve and mine on Christmas Day but they both are only 1.5 hours away. So we're not really traveling far.
smsturner likes this.

November 12th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not thanksgiving here but am going to Montreal in Dec (will be 30 weeks I think) it's a two hour drive. Going to mention it to my midwife tomorrow cause she said what they do is make a quick list of the medical history in case something happens and need a hospital while so far away. I think that a good idea. Im sure I'll be fine, cause I dont think my Ont health card would be valid in Quebec.

I was 32ish weeks when we drove 4 hours away for my baby shower, well it took a lot longer than that for all the bathroom breaks I needed. It was fine.
smsturner likes this.

November 12th, 2013, 07:59 AM
OscarsPaprika's Avatar Strong proud Army wife ;)
It wasn't for holidays, but when I was pregnant with ds about 34 weeks, we drove about 5.5 hours away. I'd suggest making sure you stop plenty to stretch your legs and let your belly get some room from the seat belt, it kinda hurt getting out of the car when we got there and I think it was largely due to the fact we stopped once.
Enjoy your trips!!!
smsturner likes this.
Debra, proud Army wife to Jesse since February 2011, even Prouder Mommy to Nikolai since February 2011 induction at 36w with pre-e 5lbs and Cassidy born at 33 weeks 2 days at 3lbs 10oz December 2013, natural birth 11 days after PPROM and chorioamnioitis!!
Always remembering our 8 angels (2007-2012)
November 12th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalia20 View Post
Not thanksgiving here but am going to Montreal in Dec (will be 30 weeks I think) it's a two hour drive. Going to mention it to my midwife tomorrow cause she said what they do is make a quick list of the medical history in case something happens and need a hospital while so far away. I think that a good idea. Im sure I'll be fine, cause I dont think my Ont health card would be valid in Quebec.

I was 32ish weeks when we drove 4 hours away for my baby shower, well it took a lot longer than that for all the bathroom breaks I needed. It was fine.
That is a really good idea. I think I'll do the same just in case.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
November 12th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We are unable to travel due to work that and don't think it would be a good idea to drive 8-12 hrs to go home. His parents are coming to town the week before Thanksgiving to stay for 2 days. I really think the real reason they come for short visits is to get their fill of eating barbecue. They don't really spend any time with us or visit with their grandson, just busy eating. Then my parents are going to come down for a couple days around Christmas.

November 12th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are only driving 3 hours this Thanks Giving and staying in town over Christmas. At this point in my pregnancy with DD, we drove 6 hours north to attend an awards ceremony for my husband. I was fine and got the go ahead from my OB. I just got out and stretched whenever we stopped for gas or food. Sitting for so long sucked lol.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

November 13th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Veteran
We drive 5-6 hours for thanksgiving but everyone comes here for Christmas thank goodness!
November 13th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We'll be driving 2 1/2 hours to DH's family for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm guessing that my Dr. will cut my travel off after December.

FYI...for those of you who will be traveling via car, make sure you stop every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and walk around a little to prevent blood clots. That is the only concern my doctor ever had regarding me traveling during my pregnancies.

Thank you, Peimum for my beautiful siggie!

2/13/11 12/1/12

November 13th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewJewB View Post
We'll be driving 2 1/2 hours to DH's family for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm guessing that my Dr. will cut my travel off after December.

FYI...for those of you who will be traveling via car, make sure you stop every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and walk around a little to prevent blood clots. That is the only concern my doctor ever had regarding me traveling during my pregnancies.
Hahaha... with my two kids, we'll be pulled over every half hour while they NEED to do SOMETHING. I really wish they would sleep the whole way!!

Hope your trips are fun!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search