Nipple question

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Nerd
Okay...sooooooo why are bottle nipples so... Big? Even the breast feeding friendly brands still look long to me. Are my nipples going magically get that big? Will baby suck them into that shape if I breastfeed? Sorry if this seems like a crass question but it puzzles me.

Side note: I can express milk! Like, more than one drop or two. Holy cow! I don't know whether to be proud or terrified. I'm both at the moment?

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
November 18th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Super Mommy
I don't know about magically getting that big. But the baby will suck that much into their mouth. My nipples though are a little big. The nurses told me not to worry if she doesn't suck all of the nipple in just as long she sucked most of it in.

Awesome, might want to look into getting a good supportive sleep maternity bra though. And some nursing pads. If you're able to express already you might start leaking a lot soon.
November 18th, 2013, 08:42 PM
OscarsPaprika's Avatar Strong proud Army wife ;)
Okay I can't lie, your post made me laugh a little. I wondered the same thing, I don't want gumdrops! But they're already huge so I'm kinda giving up on them being a normal size. I knew a woman who breastfed 5 kids and hers were HUGE. It kinda freaked me out and all I could think was I would wear a bra every second I was around people for the rest of my life lol
I can express a little, if I wear my bra to tight I leak and then I get itchy after a bit. I'm more proud though cause I didn't have milk come in until after ds was born, so I'm glad it's already here this time.
Debra, proud Army wife to Jesse since February 2011, even Prouder Mommy to Nikolai since February 2011 induction at 36w with pre-e 5lbs and Cassidy born at 33 weeks 2 days at 3lbs 10oz December 2013, natural birth 11 days after PPROM and chorioamnioitis!!
Always remembering our 8 angels (2007-2012)
November 18th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Nerd
That was my first clue to the fact that there might be milk in there, my nipples were soooooo itchy. It also looked like they might be peeling. So I was squeezing around and BAM.

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
November 19th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Regular
I dont have milk yet, but if I squeeze I get clear almost sticky liquid...I find it crazy fascinating and find my self doing it when ever no one is around.

Its a little embarrassing!
November 19th, 2013, 05:28 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ehh to be honest if your like me then yes your nips will get that big ....not quite that long but your booby is very malleable a bottle isnt so they need a lil more to work with

but yeah after 13 months of nurseing i am the proud owner of 36 D gumdrop holders an i had mosquito bits before

also go ahead an pick up some pads if you can express colostrum allready youll problly be leaking soon an if not youll still deffinatly need them when your milk comes in after birth.

November 19th, 2013, 05:52 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My nipples always get bigger when I'm breastfeeding and they seem bigger now that I'm pregnant. I don't think they get quite as big as the bottle nipples but they do get pretty big.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
November 19th, 2013, 06:57 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
My nipples/areolas have already gotten much bigger and darker. It happens with some and it's normal. It's fine that you're producing colostrum already, some start earlier than others but I agree, you might want to pick up some breast pads, you may need them.

November 19th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
Okay...sooooooo why are bottle nipples so... Big? Even the breast feeding friendly brands still look long to me. Are my nipples going magically get that big? Will baby suck them into that shape if I breastfeed? Sorry if this seems like a crass question but it puzzles me.

Side note: I can express milk! Like, more than one drop or two. Holy cow! I don't know whether to be proud or terrified. I'm both at the moment?
Yes. And the big difference is you will spray in many different directions when a bottle only has one hole, but I think bfing bottles has three holes? If you're like me you'll learn that after your milk comes in and you're in the shower. Kinda freaky and neat at the same time.

TBH I dont think I ever fully stopped lactating. I bf for about 3 1/2 years, so I stopped about 2 1/2 years ago. Correction, she stopped, I didnt wean her. Last year sometime out of curiosity (dont ask WHY weird mood I guess) I checked and I was still lactating a bit. Interesting. Obviously I am now if I check but Im not leaking, and I didnt last time until a couple days after she was born when engorgement started. I went from an A to a DD. Yes, it hurt. Maybe about 10 months or so I went back to normal size, I didnt get to "keep" my big boobs like some women do. I had to wear a bra and pads around the clock for a year that wasnt fun. No surprise I cant stand bras now.

November 19th, 2013, 10:52 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalia20 View Post
I checked and I was still lactating a bit. Interesting. Obviously I am now if I check but Im not leaking, and I didnt last time until a couple days after she was born when engorgement started.
Im still nurseing Connor and i dont leak even though i did when i was pregnant with him I think maybe if you still have milk your body still remembers how to keep it inplace although im sure ill leak agin after birth i needed pads for 5 months with connor till i regulated no one ever warned me about when your milk comes in lol it was quite a shock to me..........to the OP be sure to have good bras in the hospital you will need them of course mine apparently came in early i was engorged within 24 hour the nurses told me some ppl still have just colostrum till like day 5.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search