Well sh*t

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree26Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Jibby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I barely failed my three hour glucose test. My doc is now classifying me as having GD. I am completely upset and trying not to freak out. My mom told me my health is forever ruined and I'm going to have a giant baby. I have zero clue what to do with this...I'm being referred to a perniatologist for diet education. That doesnt help me right now. I don't get why this is happening...Ive worked out regularly my entire pregnancy. I eat my veggies. No one in my family has ever had this. Ive never had concerning blood work. I keep reading my doctor is going to induce me or make me have a csection and my child is doomed to obesity. I keep going from totally freaked out to ok then back to freaked out.

I don't want to be induced. I don't want to have a scheduled csection or extra interventions because my blood sugar was 1-3 points over the cut offs. I am upset my doctor gave me no advice on what to do BEFORE my appointment with the new doctor. Its THANKSGIVING ON THURSDAY. The entire point of Thanksgiving is TO EAT. My dh keeps telling me I did nothing wrong, he will eat whatever he has to with me and the reality is I didn't just suddenly get this way last week...all I have now is information that my blood sugar is a little high.

I didn't have some crazy birth plan in my head but I certainly didn't picture having to face induction for the hell of it or the possibility of having a baby so big a csection is the only way.

I feel really alone...and bad....and like I'm already a crappy mom. I don't know anyone else this has happened to. I feel judged by my pregnant friends.

November 25th, 2013, 09:05 PM
OscarsPaprika's Avatar Strong proud Army wife ;)
First things first, I'm really sorry you barely failed, BUT your baby isn't doomed to anything and your health isn't wrecked either sweetheart. They don't know what causes gd, sometimes it just happens. It sucks it happened to you, but think about how bad it might've been if you weren't taking good care of yourself.
Now, listen to this really well... YOU ARE NOT A CRAPPY mom and anyone that judges you needs a kick in the *** for being a jerk about something nobody has any control over, okay? Use those hormones when somebody who doesn't know a thing starts in.
Now, you may be at a higher risk for a bigger baby, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen and nothing says you have to be induced or cut into, at least not right now.
Calm down ok? It's okay and it's going to stay okay. ****hugs****
Kalia20, smsturner and Jibby like this.
Debra, proud Army wife to Jesse since February 2011, even Prouder Mommy to Nikolai since February 2011 induction at 36w with pre-e 5lbs and Cassidy born at 33 weeks 2 days at 3lbs 10oz December 2013, natural birth 11 days after PPROM and chorioamnioitis!!
Always remembering our 8 angels (2007-2012)
November 25th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Super Mommy
First off, it's not your fault. Oftentimes those with GD did everything right and still wound up having it.

If you keep your blood sugars in line, and from the sounds of it that shouldn't be too hard then you won't have a huge baby. I had GD last time and my daughter was born at a nice 7lbs 3oz. She's still not overly chubby, every time her doctor sees her he declares her to be perfect.

Your health isn't forever ruined. You've just gotten a warning about a risk is all. You and your child will be at a slightly higher risk of developing it in the future, but if you're not overweight then it's not that much of a higher risk.

Few people these days want to be induced. My doctor certainly sounded like he preferred waiting. But... No matter how well you manage your gd there is always the risk of the placenta deteriorating after a certain point, so it is much safer to get an induction. I'm sure you can manage your gd to the point were you won't have a baby so huge that you need a c-section.

What's on the menu for Thanksgiving? Maybe those of us with a little experience can help you figure out carb portions for it so that you don't have to worry as much about overdoing it. And yes you can still have dessert, just wait 2-4 hours after supper for it and have small portions.

Once you get on a monitor and some meds for it and meet your perniatologist you'll most likely find out that you won't have to cut that much from your diet. Just control the hell out of portions. Which means you might want to cut some things that you aren't that attached to and will take away from healthier options. Somethings will affect your sugars worse than they might others though. They you might want to cut. You'll figure it out.
November 25th, 2013, 09:48 PM
victoria0294's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you're going through this you're not a bad mother! And people should not judge you for this! I don't know much about it, but my friend's mom had it when she was pregnant with my friend. My friend is in her mid twenties, is not overweight, and does not have diabetes.
I completely understand that pregnancy doesn't always go the way you think it will. Nobody ever wants things like this to happen, but sometimes they do. I'm sure it's better that you found out you have it so you can figure out how to manage it.
Take things one step at a time. You don't know for certain if you'll need to be induced or have a c-section. It's good to be mentally prepared just in case, so you're not completely shocked if it does happen. But stay positive!
And you have all of us here to support you
Jibby likes this.

expecting identical twin girls!!
November 25th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I'm scared to eat dessert I'm scared to do anything...I just want us to be ok.

I don't k ow what we are having Thursday...my aunt is hosting and its potluck style. I'm sure we will have the usual stuff. I don't want to tell my family...I told my mom I was going for the three hour test and she FREAKED out. And then I went to Dr. Google. (I KNOW...BAD) Thanks for all the support. I'm open to any advice you got for me. I'm sure Ill get into the doc soon.

November 25th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Super Mommy
You'll be ok, just follow the advice your perniatologist will give you. They will probably also be very reassuring. You can do this we have your back.

Well if she freaked out so badly, (and sorry in advance but shame on her) then it might be a good idea to wait until you have more solid information before telling most of your family. Having the support of those you see often for the diet changes you will need to do will be a big help though so you'll eventually want to tell some of them.

Well having low blood sugars can be dangerous faster than high blood sugars can be. So don't starve yourself! Your body isn't regulating sugars properly right now, which means it's also not as good at holding onto sugars as it should be.

A carb count is 15grams, which is about half a cup of mashed potatoes, a wee bit less than half a cup of stuffing if you don't have veggies or meat in it, which would bring it closer to or beyond half a cup depending on how much veggies and meat. Green beans don't have enough carbs to count. Corn is a carb rich food. Gravey, depends on if it's made with milk or not and how thick it is. Middling to thin gravy made with drippings, broth, oil or water should be fine. I can't really think of any of the other usual's that aren't dessert.

My nutritionist told me to have 3 carb counts for lunch and dinner and 2 carb counts for my second 2 snaks. So for me, if I had thanksgiving dinner last pregnancy (luckily I avoided holidays for that part of my pregnancy) I'd be having just half a cup of mashed potatoes, half a cup of stuffing, a half glass of sparkling cider and some gravy that I made sure had no milk in it. And then all the meat and veggies I wanted. And then three hours later, I'd go ahead and have a thin slice of cheesecake or pie.

I've actually found myself having to eat a bit more than my gd diet would've called for the past month or else I'd be having constant dizzy spells and near fainting right before meals and snacks.
Jibby likes this.
November 25th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Veteran
I'm so sorry you feel this way! Please try not to beat yourself up. Just like the other girls posted, this is NOT your fault!! Hugs!
Jibby likes this.
November 26th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Nerd
I can hear that you are very scared! I think you are an awesome mommy for being aware and CARING about your blood sugars! Moms who care ROCK. My doctor says to me, "When egg and sperm meet then all h-e-l-l breaks loose." Nobody knows why some women develop GD. It's not like you woke up HOPING your sugar would be high. So cut yourself some slack. It's definitely okay to mourn the fact that your pregnancy has changed. We are here for you.
Jibby likes this.

Expecting our first child in February... Team pink!
1st beta 14dpo = 150
2nd beta 18dpo = 782
3rd beta 23 dpo = 5,362
Missing my puppy, but grateful to have shared a bond with her for two years.
November 26th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
If you just barely failed, ask for a retest.
You are in charge remember.
Jibby likes this.

November 26th, 2013, 05:04 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
Take a deep breath. My sister had severe GD with her first 2 pg's. With her 3rd she failed the test by a couple points. She just gave birth wednesday, a vbac at that, to a healthy 7lb 3oz baby boy at 39w6d. You are not doomed. You have a right to refuse any intervention and scheduling. Stress is only going to make it worse.
Dhartanya and Jibby like this.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

November 26th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks so much ladies. I have my apnt with the new doc on Tuesday. I am terrified there will suddenly be something very wrong with her Everything has been so good up until now...Im worried everything will begin to fall apart.

November 26th, 2013, 08:40 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You have gotten some great advice. I'm sorry that you failed your glucose test. Sometimes our bodies just have a hard time during pregnancy and it doesn't mean that you did anything wrong and it certainly doesn't doom your daughter to obesity.

I wish your dr would have given you some guidance in what to eat in the mean time before you see the new dr next week. You might give his nurse a call and just see if they can give you some indication of what you should be doing in the mean time. GD is completely manageable and it doesn't mean that your daughter will have any problems.
Jibby likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
November 26th, 2013, 08:54 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibby View Post
Thanks so much ladies. I have my apnt with the new doc on Tuesday. I am terrified there will suddenly be something very wrong with her Everything has been so good up until now...Im worried everything will begin to fall apart.
OH hun. You have gotten good advice. I think the best was just calm down and breathe. GD is not that uncommon and you've been diagnosed and are getting help, and obviously, it's mild because your numbers aren't out of control. Those are great things. You can totally still do this and have a healthy baby and a healthy pregnancy! Definitely.

Also, there are WAY worse things that could affect your child than being a chubby little baby. Even if they are chubby, there are good habits to teach them to control weight. Also, people can be overweight and still be healthy. Saying doomed to obesity is a bit much. Don't worry. Things WILL be ok! And your baby will be fantastic! I'm sure of it
Jibby likes this.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
November 26th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I am frustrated with my doc too. I talked to her MA yesterday and she gave me literally no information on anything. I kept asking if there was something I could read or what should I be doing now to not make this worse and she just kept saying I will see the new doctor soon. I am seeing the new doctor next week! I ended up eating more than normal this morning because I could feel my blood sugar dropping...I got all woozy and light headed. Its just all really confusing and I dont know what to do. I believe my first test after fasting was 183....the cut off was 180 and all she said was the other tests were borderline high. I think I would be way calmer about this if I had some type of information or SOMETHING to go off of. I tried asking if I was considered high risk now and the MA wouldnt even tell me that. I will fight tooth and nail if I have to for what I want but its hard to do that when you dont know ANYTHING about what is going on.

I love chubby babies. I am hoping I dont have to push one out of my vajay though....lol I am also wanting to try to breastfeed and Im reading a lot of the medical interventions that do interfere with that. I am not cool with that.

November 26th, 2013, 09:34 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to post on a few other boards and see if I can find somebody who has had GD and see if they can direct you to some reading material or give you some sort of guidance until your next appointment.
Jibby likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
November 26th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know a few moms that had it, no inductions, no c sections, healthy weight, no obesity and no diabetes. So doomed? Nope. All these worries and stresses will be gone after you have your sweet baby.
smsturner and Jibby like this.

November 26th, 2013, 11:15 AM
You ladies are the best. Seriously...I don't know what I would do without all this support. Thank you so much. Id give you all the hug smiley if I could figure it out on my iPhone hahaha
smsturner likes this.

November 26th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Super Mommy
Oh Jibby I promise you are going to be okay. I remember feeling exactly the way you do now when I failed my 1 hour and then 3 hour glucose test when pregnant with my ds. I was devastated and scared and I definitely was angry and mourned that my perfect pregnancy had to change and become difficult. I'm not going to lie, in the end I was induced at 39 weeks, 5 days and ended up with an emergency c section but that was bc my body had a failure to progress and the baby and my blood pressure tanked when they were giving me my second epidural. They messed up the first one and I was not receiving pain relief in my abdomen or back, just my legs.

Anyway, gd wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I had to meet with a perinatologist and a nutritionist and then I tested my blood 4 times a day and controlled my gd with diet and exercise. My son was 8lbs. 3 oz., so definitely not overly large and he was born right on his due date. He is now 7 1/2 years old and isn't the least bit chubby and is in perfect health.

I will be taking my 1 hour sometime next week and I'm sure I will fail and have to take the 3 hour as well. I'm already pretty convinced that I'll probably have gd again this time and if I do we can definitely support each other through it. Heck you have all of my support no matter what. Remember you did nothing wrong and it's not your fault. Sometimes these things just happen. P.S. Please remind me of this next week when I myself have my initial freak out. (((hugs!)))
smsturner, melissalaw and Jibby like this.

1st Beta (6/17/13 - 14 dpo) - 150
2nd Beta (6/20/13 - 17 dpo) - 622
3rd Beta (6/24/13 - 21 dpo) - 2518
4th Beta (6/27/13 - 24 dpo) - 7142
1st Ultrasound (7/1/13 - 6w0d - measuring 5w6d, 103 bpm, CRL - 2.59 mm)
2nd Ultrasound (7/9/13 - 7w1d - measuring 7w1d, 144 bpm, CRL - 10.15 mm)
3rd Ultrasound (7/26/13 - 9w4d - measuring 9w4d, 140-150 bpm, CRL - 2.8 cm)
4th Ultrasound / NT Scan (8/12/13 - 12w0d - measuring 12w6d, 142 bpm, CRL - 6.5 cm)

November 26th, 2013, 02:40 PM
*hugs* thanks cyn....I am rooting for you to pass this time! I wish I had more information and I wish I could see the doctor sooner than next week. I am angry this is happening because things were going so great. I've felt fine...my blood pressure has been great, I'm not puffy or swollen, the baby always looks perfect at every scan and her heart beat is steady and strong. I feel good most days...it's like how did this even happen?! We will certainly support each other in this and if you are blessed then I will gladly accept anything you have to offer me.

November 26th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Women have been having babies for thousands of years and gotta admit we are so lucky to live in the time where the biggest worry about being pregnant isnt if we are going to die in childbirth. We are lucky to have the technology and knowledge if there are problems with pregnancy or child birth we have medical professionals that ensure mom and baby are safe, no matter what happens.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search