Stretch and sweep?

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 10x_A_Mommy
  • 1 Post By Kalia20

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My OB has said hed like to start doing them after 37 weeks and I want to know what I'm getting myself into in a few weeks. How uncomfortable is it as compared to being checked? Any details would be good and TMI is fine. How successful was it for you? Can it only happen if I'm already at least a little dilated or can it be done with a closed cervix?

I'm a little nervous thinking about it I won't lie lol. If it helps me go into labor earlier than I did with DD, it'll be worth it. I know it will only work if my body is ready though, but beyond that, I don't know much about the procedure.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

January 6th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Amazing Mommy
I'm not sure as far as the cervix being closed. My dr only did the stretch and sweep when I was 1cm dilated with DS. It wasn't painful or uncomfortable for me. I'd lose a little more mucus plug and have some spotting but beyond that, it never did anything for me. I continued to remain at 1cm. We were hoping to get me to go into labor on my own so induction for the pre-e wasn't necessary. Oh well.

Maybe it will work better for you!
January 6th, 2014, 03:55 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I had it done with my 3rd on my due date, its very uncomfy, I was in labor within hours. I'd be very leary of doing that at 37 weeks though. There's a high risk of amniotic rupture with the procedure so its not really one of those "it will only work if ready" type techniques. If your water breaks and your body isn't ready then your facing induction. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
melissalaw and mommaof5girls like this.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

January 6th, 2014, 04:04 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
no experience or knowledge just the statement that I wouldnt do it at 37 weeks. id push it back till your EDD at lest

January 6th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Jibby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Why do this at 37 weeks?!

January 6th, 2014, 06:29 PM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't do it that soon. I've only ever had it done at my last appointment BEFORE my due date (meaning the next appointment I'd have I'd be past due). Both times I was in labor within hours.

January 7th, 2014, 06:54 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never had it done but I do agree with Jessica that I would be leary of doing it at 37 weeks. I would wait until much closer to your due date.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 7th, 2014, 07:00 AM
tlp2214's Avatar Super Mommy
What exactly is this procedure?

January 7th, 2014, 07:05 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm curious if there is a reason he wants to do it early? Maybe that's the question to ask?
I've never had it done before, so I'm not sure what it feels like...

Terra -
Quote:
"Membrane sweep", also known as membrane stripping, or "stretch and sweep" in Australia and the UK – during an internal examination, the practitioner moves her finger around the cervix to stimulate and/or separate the membranes around the baby from the cervix. This causes a release of prostaglandins which can help to kick-start labor.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
January 7th, 2014, 07:14 AM
tlp2214's Avatar Super Mommy
Hmm. Sounds like a weird thing to do early!

January 7th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That would make me leary of that OB myself.....I know it's only one example, but sounds like that birth is a medical procedure, on his schedule not the baby's type. This is why I went with a midwife this time.
10x_A_Mommy likes this.

January 7th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
He doesn't seem to think it would send me into labor right away based on my history. I asked him what the risk of premature membrane rupture was and he says the risk is low. I'm going to do some googling before I agree to this and see what I can find. I have another week to my next appointment so plenty of time to read up on it.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

January 7th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Jibby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally would tell him no. I don't care what he thinks...doing this can lead to labor and there is simply no need. Babies need to "cook" as long as possible for optimal brain and lung development. I wouldn't consider this unless there was some serious medical need for me or the baby or I was days past my due date.

January 7th, 2014, 04:48 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
But if it's not going to send you into labor right away, why doors he want to do it? That's confusing.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
January 7th, 2014, 06:59 PM
EDD 02-01-2013
I had it done today, a little uncomfy but not bad. Its not going to start labor unless your body is ready. I am being induce on friday due to a baby that is not growing well and some other cord and placenta issues. Ive been 3cm since 27 weeks so we are hoping this will get things going without having to use pitocin to gets things started. This will be my 5th delivery and i had it done with each one. Only one of those times did labor start.

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 7th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I'm gonna tell him no until the next appointment just to be safe. I've been googling though and the chances of it breaking my water are indeed low from what I can find. The chances of it sending me into labor are impossible to predict because who knows if my body is ready or not. That's pretty much what the articles I've read said. I'm all for giving my baby more time.

January 8th, 2014, 05:33 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My neighbor told me she had hers done for both her girls and all of girlfriends had it done and it put them all into labour. Mind you I dont know how far along they were, I didnt ask that. I assume 40 weeks, but could be wrong. I know myself I would wait, I think I would wait until close to my EDD just to be sure. But thats me. YOur body, your choice do what you're comfortable with.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search