Episiotomy Questions...

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was pushing and my son wasn't crowning as fast as my OB wanted, he decided to give me an episiotomy. He didn't tell me anything about it really beyond basic care instructions. I'm not sure how many degrees it was and the only thing I know is my husband was told it required 3 stitches. Does that sound like a lot? I've carefully felt around down there with a Tucks pad after giving it several days and it feels a little swollen and that's all I can tell.

Also, I kind of question how truly necessary it was. I was told our son needed to come out and couldn't stay in the birth canal more than a few minutes. My OB had the scissors in his hand when I first started pushing. I don't know if he just had them in his hand so he could cut the cord right away or if he was planning on the episiotomy from the get go. I was losing steam pushing. That was apparent, having lost that uncontrollable urge after the epidural. I wasn't given the "You were about to tear" excuse. I would like to get to the bottom of this and my post partum visit is still several weeks away and I'm not sure what he'd remember off the top of his head by then. I didn't think to ask him these questions. I was too distracted by this adorable baby in my arms lol.

It's not that big of a deal all things considered, but I am still curious. I really don't know much about episiotomies. I know basic care instructions and I'm feeling good right now. It doesn't hurt much at all, it's just super itchy recently. I hear thats normal because it's healing. Have any of you had them?

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

February 14th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Super Mommy
I've never had an episiotomy but I did tear enough to need one stitch. It is still swollen as well, not itchy yet but I know that's coming from last time when I also tore enough to need a stitch. He did want to give me one last time because he knows how fast induced babies can come, but he didn't get there in time.
February 15th, 2014, 01:12 PM
victoria0294's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The hospital I delivered at only does episiotomies if they need to use forceps or a vacuum (which I didn't know lol). So I tore, but not badly. All I know is the Dr. said I tore but it's not a bad tear (I think 1st degree?) I don't know how many stitches I was given, but at least a few from what I felt when I was being stitched up. I wasn't in pain because I had the epidural, but it still felt gross lol.

My girls are now a month old, and about 2-3 weeks after delivering them I felt itchy and I think it's just from healing. I still feel good now, I don't know if my stitches have completely dissolved yet and I don't want to look haha! I have my follow up with my Dr. in about 2 weeks, so he can take a look.

expecting identical twin girls!!
February 15th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
I've had an episiotomy AND a tear. As far as I know they don't add degrees to episiotomies. I don't know how many stitches I had but it sounds normal. Yes it will be swollen, sore and itchy for a while. Make sure you do the basic care as instructed. It's important.

Other than that, I'd just warn you that it will hurt when you go back to having sex. Your best bet is to go on top so you can guide him into you and if it hurts you can easily pull your body up and readjust. Remind him to be gentle and let you take the lead. I found on top especially if I lean forward a bit to be the best position anyways so pressure isn't put on the repair. Backward positions like doggy will REALLY hurt.

The doctor should have consulted with you before doing the cut though. If you have more children in the future, discuss it with him before hand. However even though it's sometimes not necessary and many people (especially natural birth people) recommend not doing it, I'd rather have an episiotomy than a tear ANY DAY.

Just before the doc tried to do an episiotomy on me with my second child I tore msyelf along the same spot and it was a 4th degree tear, the WORST one. It was so bad it hurt for over a year to have sex and for a few months when I pooped and I had to have corrective surgery months later to repair a fistula that occured because of it.

My Beautiful Children
Morgan - Jan 2006
Alastrin - Apr 2007

Liam - Mar 2011
Aria - Feb 2014
February 15th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Amazing Mommy
I had a 2nd degree one with DS. I hear tearing heals more naturally but opinions vary on that. I don't know how many stitches I needed but during the healing process it did swell and itch. I looked at it in the mirror as best I could a few times after it healed. I couldn't tell a difference in anything but like Kathleen said, sometimes once you start having sex again...it can hurt. It's like DH had to break me in all over again. lol Take it slow and easy at first.

Follow all care instructions the best you can. If you're still feeling off about it, definitely call and discuss this with a nurse or go in to see your dr before your pp check up!
February 21st, 2014, 06:39 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an episiotomy with both Jackson and Jacob. With both of them their heart rate was going crazy and the dr wanted to get them out quickly. He didn't ask me he just cut me and since I felt like it was necessary for their health it never really bothered me. I had more than 3 stitches with both though. I think it was around 5 so yours doesn't sound that bad. I tore with Christian and I will say the healing was much easier with the tear than the cut. I am assuming that since your dr didn't want him in the birth canal he felt like it was necessary to cut you to get him out quickly.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search