Low milk supply/pumping

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By moxiemommie
  • 1 Post By Kalia20

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2014, 12:49 AM
victoria0294's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I need advice!
I'm unable to strictly bf my twins because they're both on high calorie formula. So I've mainly been pumping. I was going to stop, but after 2 days decided it's better for them of course, and their tummies, to use breastmilk.
I never had a large supply to begin with, but would get between .5 to 1 oz at each pumping. Since is stopped for the 2 days, now I only get about 5ml! I only stopped for 2 days!! This is so frustrating. Does anyone have tips to get my milk supply up?

I try to pump every 3 hrs, but sometimes I miss it because the girls have become extremely fussy lately. To the point that they can't be set down because of this, I'm not getting much sleep and what I get isn't regular. I know I'm not eating enough either, but I seriously an lucky I shower!
I've also just started yesterday putting one of the girls to my breast for 5-10 mins before feeding formula, then pump after.

Aside from the above issues, any tips for more milk? Of my issues, what's the most important to try and fix for more milk?

DH is out of town and my mom is staying with me, so I actually thought I'd be able to pump more etc... But twins is more difficult than she thought lol. I can tell she's stressed out, and if I mention wanting to pump she only acts like it's ok if they're both not fussing. I've told her sometimes they'll have to cry a little as I can't physically hold them both 24/7 when she's not helping anymore but she doesn't like to hear them cry ( neither do I!!)

expecting identical twin girls!!
February 21st, 2014, 12:57 AM
Regular
I have no idea how you're doing it and I don't know much since I'm struggling to pump myself..however, I know that the first few days I was not taking care of myself at all. I wasn't eating drinking or sleeping. Once I made an effort to do a little better I started getting a little more milk. I think especially the drinking. I just sit a water bottle wherever I am so I can always have a drink if I need it. Good luck. You're doing an awesome job!

February 21st, 2014, 11:23 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oatmeal, real oatmeal not instant. Fenugreek. Pump and bf as often as you can around the clock. It's supply and demand if there's no demand theres no supply. I didn't FF at all but did use a pump to gain a supply and only got an ounce at a time. Except after first wakin up. I also didn't have twins!! Super job I can't imagine how much work that is. Sorry if typos on my phone and it lags pretty bad

February 21st, 2014, 01:50 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Try to pump as much as you can. I would shoot for every 2 hours if you can find the time. And I know my milk supply is the best in the middle of the night. I can usually nurse Christian and then pump and still get several ounces. it sucks because I'm so tired but I am trying to build up a stash for when I go back to work so I do it. How long are you pumping for? I try to pump for atleast 15 minutes every time I pump. And are you nursing at all? If you can try to nurse the girls some that will help also.

Oatmeal works great also. I'm not a fan of the supplements. Also call your dr. I believe there is some medication they can give to help you.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 21st, 2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys
I'll definitely try the oatmeal. I know I need to take better care of myself, but it's tough because I hardly get a break at all.
When I pump I do it for 20 mins. I'm going to aim to do it more too.
I try to nurse for 5-10 mins and then bottle feed, then pump. But I only do that occasionally.
I'm also pumping once in the middle of the night after I feed them.
I guess I just need to give it a little more time

February 27th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
Glad I saw this, how are things going now? Any improvement? I am pumping but I hate it and I have been getting less. I have been getting more than you though so that actually makes me feel a bit better because I was worried. I pump for 15 minutes (what nurse said to do) and the goal is every 3 hours but I find it hard to do and I only have ONE baby (but then I have 3 other kids.)

So for oatmeal, it can't be instant? How often do we eat it? What IS fenugreek? I was told about how important taking care of yourself is and I didn't think it made that much difference at first but it really does help. It's hard though because my breastfeeding troubles is making me depressed which means the last thing I want to do is eat or drink and well sleep, that's hard to do.

My Beautiful Children
Morgan - Jan 2006
Alastrin - Apr 2007

Liam - Mar 2011
Aria - Feb 2014
February 28th, 2014, 02:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi lurking here to see the new babies and stumbled on this topic, so I thought I would peek. With #1 I pretty much exclusively pumped (he refused to latch lost over a 1lb by 10 days old, and finally I gave him a bottle and just pumped supplement formula) If your LOs will nurse its a great idea to let them latch first, nurse a but then pump. I usually did an extra 5-10 min on each breast after I stopped getting milk. Also high - energy grains- like oats help alot barely is good. Its important to stay hydrated and listen to your body, eat when you are hungry (which can be SO hard esp w twins!) I forgot to mention its good to pump every two hrs- when you arent sleeping. And to pump when you wake up. I also reccomend mother's milk tea, its decafe, tastes good and helps your supply! I woyld also try hitting up the nursing mommies board. Excuse the typos Im on my phone and its super hard to go back n correct it! Good luck and congratulations on your little girls!!! I should add with my 1st I was able to pump for 3-4 mos then dried up. With number 2 I nursed exclusively for 2 months then pumped and supplemented until he was 5-6 months. ( He had a bad latch that literally killed my boobs and the lactation consultants were NO help I had no idea babys could latch wrong ) But noe I know better for this one. TGood luck and stick with it!
callista83 likes this.

March 1st, 2014, 08:44 AM
So...I gave up on pumping I was getting so frustrated because even with my mom here 24/7 I couldn't pump every 3 hrs. Every time I would try to, my mom would tell me she needed help because they were both fussy at the same time. So I know when I'm by myself during the day, when she goes back to work, there's no way I can do it with me here by myself.
I did increase my supply by drinking more water and pumping a little more, but it was still so little it wasn't worth it.
And not to sound whiny and selfish here, because I've whined about this on more than one occasion lol, but my acne is horrible from being pregnant. I'm tempted to post pics so you guys don't think I have a few zits and am being dramatic about it. I don't wear a bra (yay for small boobs lol) because it hurts my bacne SO bad. Therefore when I was pumping I was leaking on my t shirts all day because I couldn't pump enough. Also I've read that until you stop pumping your hormones aren't going to get back to normal, and hormones are what caused this horrible acne in the first place.
When I went to my 6w pp dr apt my dr actually talked to me about my acne and how bad it is. I don't think he's ever seen it this bad before on a patient. And he actually said it's good that I'm not pumping anymore so the dermatologist (which I have to wait until march 24th for) can prescribe me accutane or something. Haha I wish I could pound on their door and demand/beg on my hands and knees for accutane right now!!!
Rant over

March 1st, 2014, 09:36 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You're not selfish!! One baby is a lot of work!! A happy rested mom is what those babies need more than you stressing yourself out.

Instant oatmeal isnt nearly as good, the processing strips a lot of the good stuff out. Rolled oats is the best, organic if possible. Theres a recipe for Monster Cookies that are AMAZING yummy and worked well for me last time, they just arent good for the waistline. Going to make some in the near future when Im physically able to

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...l-recipes.html (Monster Cookies and other Oatmeal Recipes)
victoria0294 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search