Homemade baby wipes

Forum: February 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2014, 01:34 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Getting good reviews for this, so going to try it. I have everything I need already which is a bonus. A friend told me one container lasts her a week with her four month old, so one roll of paper towel lasting two weeks is pretty decent. Especially if I can buy Bounty on sale with a coupon!! Apparently good for make up removal too

Homemade Baby Wipes - white house black shutters

copy and paste wording, pics in link ofc

Quote:
For the last four years, we have been making our own baby wipes and cleansing wipes.

While baby wipes arenít thaaat expensive, cleansing wipes are!

In order to make the wipes you use ingredients that you mostly have on hand. Youíll save money and a trip to the store, and will know whatís going on your skin or on your babyís skin.

wipes

Even if you get the sensitive skin or all-natural wipes, some of the ingredients in the wipes arenít the best (think harsh chemicals and drying agents). I know and can pronounce the ingredients in my wipes. I can count on two hands the number of rashes weíve had with three kids over four years Ė Iíd like to think the wipes helped with that!

Weíve made them with different ingredients, mixtures, and brands. Throughout the tutorial, Iíll explain which ones worked for us as well as tricks weíve learned along the way!

HEREíS WHAT YOUíLL NEED:

2 containers

1 roll of select-a-size paper towels (Bounty works best, Viva works okay)

4 cups water

1 T of coconut oil (found in a health foods or vitamin store)

FOR BABY WIPES: 1 squirt of organic baby wash or organic cleansing wash

FOR CLEANSING WIPES: 1 squirt of all natural face wash or cleansing wash

First, you need a container, here are the ones I use:

IMG_0879

Both are Rubbermaid containers, they donít make the one on the left anymore (find them at garage sales!) but the on the right can be found at K-Mart, Target, Wal-mart for around $4.99. Both work great, but I love that the one on the right has four tabs that you lift to open it, making it easy to do with one hand.

-Make sure your kitchen or other working area is clean before you start, you donít want crumbs in your wipes!

We tried using other brands, but nothing works as well as the Bounty Select-a-Size. You wonít waste as much unused wipe since your wipes are smaller. They also wonít rip like cheaper brands.

They are a bit more, but if youíre good and use them only for wipe making, itíll end up costing you about $0.75 a container Ė still cheaper than buying wipes!

-CUT YOUR PAPER TOWEL ROLL IN HALF.

Use a large, sharp, non-serrated knife and cut your paper towel roll in half, brushing off the fuzz at the end

If you donít have a sharp knife, you can you use a serrated knife or electric carving knife. You will end up with a lot more fuzz from cutting, just be sure to brush them off.

IMG_1469

- MAKE YOUR WIPES SOLUTION.

For each container, you will need 2 cups of distilled or purified water.

When adding the water, mark the water level on the side with a permanent marker so you will not have to measure in the future!

If you are making two containers, it also helps to mix everything in a large glass measuring bowl.

IMG_1476

-ADD A TABLESPOON OR TWO OF COCONUT OIL.

Coconut oil has a melting point of 76 degrees, meaning that it is solid and white at anything less than that (looks like shortening).

To warm it up, take the amount youíre using, put it in a saucepan with a bit of your water and heat it just warm enough to melt (76 degrees, so it wonít take long). Once melted, pour the mixture into your water and stir.

If your house or area is really hot (like our old apartment or my momís house), more than likely your coconut oil will always stay melted in the container without needing to heat it.

IMG_1470 IMG_1471

WHY COCONUT OIL?

Itís naturally anti-bacterial, microbial, and fungal, the perfect moisturizer your skin, plus it smells great.

This is all that we use in place of lotion and it is amazing.

-ADD IN A SQUIRT OF ORGANIC BABY WASH.

It may not seem like enough, but keep in mind you are not rinsing them like after a bath and you may have a bit of soapy residue left if you use more. Stir gently.

I strongly recommend using an organic, sensitive, baby soap. We use Shaklee products. The other washes are tough your little oneís skin and have chemicals you may not want lingering on their little butt!

You are using a tiny amount and will save money making wipes, avoid rashes and buy the good stuff.

-POUR YOUR MIXTURE EVENLY INTO THE CONTAINERS, ABOUT 2 CUPS PER CONTAINER.

IMG_0882

-PLACE THE PAPER TOWEL ROLLS CUT/FUZZY SIDE DOWN INTO THE CONTAINER AND SOLUTION.

Your containers might be bigger than mine, but if not, donít freak out if they look like the containers are too small. I promise you Ė theyíre not.

-SMOOSH YOUR PAPER TOWEL DOWN WITH THE LID AND SEAL IT.

See Ė I told you theyíre not too small!

Turn your containers upside down, stack them if you like, and walk away for about 5 minutes.

IMG_0883

-TAKE OUT THE CARDBOARD TUBE.

Come back, open up (see, they stayed smooshed!), and take out the inside paper towel roll. Donít try to do this earlier while itís dry, it just makes a big messÖ

-Take out the start of the roll in the center, pop it up for easy grabbing, and close the lid. Youíre done!

IMG_0885IMG_0886

TIPS:

-When traveling, grab a few and stick them into a zippered baggie Ė instant travel wipes!

-Two containers will last me between one and two weeks.

-USE DISTILLED OR PURIFIED WATER TO AVOID MOLD. Iíve had many comments coming back and mentioning that their wipes molded. If you use good quality ingredients in addition to the purified water, you should be okay! Also keep the wipes out of direct sunlight and donít make them too far ahead.

I have never had an issue with mold, but our water is purified.

-Once you buy the oil and containers, you use so little that youíre only spending $1.50 for two containers! Store bought wipes are anywhere from $1.50 to $5 each and the wipes are larger so you go through them faster.

OTHER USES:

-Make some wipes, gather the ingredients, and give the kit as a baby shower gift! Iíve even done the hard work for youÖ click for a free pdf printable you print on some cute paper and can give them!

-With the coconut oil, they make GREAT moisturizing wipes or make-up remover wipes! Either leave out the baby wash or use your favorite face wash.

-This process could easily be used to make *cleaning wipes*! I use Basic H, a diluted organic cleaner, so itís just as simple as getting four cups of water and adding a few drops of the concentrated solution.

February 21st, 2014, 02:59 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a few girls in my last DDC who made homemade wipes. I've never tried it but I'm curious. I might have to try it.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search