Ryan Kenneth

Our Little Guppies

Birth Stories

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By andrewbe7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our Little Guppies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Veteran
Hello ladies. It’s taken me a while to write this – getting used to the feedings that my baby demands has left me completely drained of energy. He doesn’t want to sleep in his bassinet – he really only wants to sleep when he’s being held or cuddling with me while I’m sleeping.

Throughout this whole pregnancy I’ve known that my baby was going to come early. At first it was just mothers intuition, and I have the genetic factor on my side, my mom had both her babies at 37 ½ weeks. But then as we entered the third trimester I started dialting and even went into preterm labor at 33 weeks but luckily they stopped it and I got to keep him baking for a while longer. My doctors and I were hoping to make it to minimum 37 weeks so he wouldn’t have to stay in the NICU at all. 37 weeks was June 22nd. I know all of the times listed below because there were a few giant clocks in the room and I stared at them a lot, wishing for time to go by faster so I could meet my baby already.

Monday June 24th

4:00 am - Starting at around 4 in the morning I got up to pee probably around every 10-15 minutes. I had no contractions but I was more uncomfortable than I had been the whole pregnancy. Luckily I was having no contractions (a first) or that would have made me feel worse.

5:00 am - So at 5:05 (I happened to have my cell phone with me) as I stood up from the toilet I felt a gush of water unrelated to peeing gush out of me and into the toilet. I was in disbelief. As I turned around to look at it I noticed that it had some pinkish stuff mixed in, and I thought there was a good chance that my water just broke. So I wiped and pulled on my underwear and went into the bedroom. Well as I was walking to the bedroom my underwear got soaked so I changed them. When that pair was soaked as well I called my doctor and told her what happened. She told me to eat breakfast, shower, and she'll see me within 60-90 minutes. I only live 10 minutes away from the hospital so I was taking my time but still wanted to get there relatively soon. My mom had very fast labors, 4 hours with me and 2 hours with my little sister.

6:30 am – My boyfriend and I arrive at the hospital but leave our bags and everything in the car, just in case it’s a false alarm. I know it’s not but I didn’t want to jinx myself. My contractions started coming around now, they weren’t very pleasant but I could still walk and talk through them and they were about 10 minutes apart. When we walked in the main doors the people at the front desk wanted me to use a wheelchair but I really wanted to walk – I thought it would help the labor go faster.

7:00 am – We finally get to the room and they hook me up to the monitors. They confrimed that my water had indeed broken and sent a message for my doctor to come check how far along I am. According to the monitors I was having contractions every 5 minutes. They were starting to get a little more intense and the nurse who was AMAZING was doing some relaxation breathing with me.

7:30 am – My OB finally gets in the room, luckily she was the one on call for the weekend and for that day (I only had a 1 in 3 chance of having her deliver my baby and I was so happy that it was her). Well she checked me and told me that I was 3.5 cm and 80% baby in -1 position. I had been walking around at 3cm, 50 % and baby in -2 position for weeks now so I knew that I hadn’t made much progress. We talk about epidurals and I insist that I want one. They start making the plans for calling the anesthesiologist but the nurse tells me that she wants me to try walking around the halls or bouncing on a birthing ball to get baby in a lower position and to dilate me more. Apparently they don’t like giving epidurals until you’re at least 4 cm at the very least. By this time the contractions were coming every 2-3 minutes and they were not fun.

8:00 am – The nurse goes to talk to the anesthesiologist and sets up the ball for me.

8:05 am - She and my boyfriend help me out of bed and onto the ball. She explains how to do it and then leaves me with the ball. It’s slow going, I’m bouncing away on the ball thinking okay this is kinda fun, it was distracting from the contractions…at first.

8:15 am – My mom and little sister arrive. As soon as my water had broke I called my mom and she and my little sister got ready to come to the hospital. They live about 1 hour away and we didn’t know it then but thank god they got there when they did. Baby Ryan would make his appearance in exactly 1 hour from this point. Since my mom and sister were here my boyfriend felt comfortable leaving me and went downstairs to go get some food from the café. He asked my doctor if he thought this was okay before he left, and she was like “Oh yeah, we’re gonna be here for a few hours”. Hah

8:30 am – My boyfriend gets back and I’m getting more and more uncomfortable – this ball is no longer fun. In fact I’m hating it, but the nurse keeps checking in on me and tells me how great I’m doing. My mom leaves to go down to the car because she forgot the camera, and both of us want to have pictures and a video of the birth. I keep getting up to go to the bathroom because I’m feeling TONS of pressure down there and I stupidly kept thinking that it was because I needed to pee, nope baby was just getting really down low. I keep complaining about how much pain I’m in and my boyfriend keeps rubbing my back telling me to calm down because I’m gonna be doing this for a while longer. A few hours he says.

8:40 am – I’m in a lot of pain, my contractions are coming every minute. I can barely breathe through them and I give up on the ball. I slowly make my way over to the bed and get in. My nurse comes in and is unhappy with me that I gave up on the ball so soon. She tries to get me to walk around the hall but I tell her in no uncertain terms that I need to lie down in bed for at least a few minutes before I even attempt to walk around the hall. She accepts that and after I tell her how much pain I’m in she tells me that the anesthesiologist will be over to my room in 30 minutes and I want to cry. 30 minutes!!! How am I going to last that long? Apparently there were 6 other women that came in that morning so they were kind of busy and the nurse left the room again.

8:45 am – I start feeling like there’s something making it’s way out, and I have the most intense urge to push. I yell to Chris (my boyfriend) that he needs to press the call button on my bed immediately and let the lady know that I feel the need to push. As he’s telling the lady I’m yelling “I need to push” to show her the urgency of what I’m feeling.

8:50 am – My nurse comes into the room and I can tell that she doesn’t really believe what I’m saying. I’m clutching my stomach as if somehow that’ll help keep him in. “Alright, lets see whats going on in here,” she says as she ambles slowly over to my bed. She checks me and the look on her face changed in an instant. “Wow, you’re completely there, we’re about to have a baby”. Say what???? I mean I knew it was coming, but I still thought I had a little time. I asked her about pain medication and she said there was absolutely no time, that I couldn’t have an epidural or anything else. I was planning on having lots of pain meds to help me through this and now I was going to have a completely natural birth. I started hyperventilating thinking about all the pain I was about to experience (not smart I know) and they put an oxygen mask over my face to calm me down. I found out later that they 911 paged my doctor at this point.

8:55 am – My mom walks back into the room now with the camera and is surprised by the amount of people in the room, like 3 nurses and my OB who somehow appeared without me noticing wearing full (as I call it armor), scrubs, hair net, and face mask. She looked like she was preparing for battle. My mom wanted to know what was going on and I took off my mask to tell her almost crying for fear and pain that I was about to have a baby without an epidural. She ran over to me, held me hand, and began to tell me how strong I was and that I could do it. Women had been doing this since the dawn of time, and now it was my turn. I shoudn’t think about the pain, only about getting to see my sweet little baby who I only knew from the kicks and nudges to my belly.

9:00 am – A nurse grabs one of my legs and my boyfriend grabs my other leg on instruction from the nurse. He is in just as much schock as I am that this was happening so soon. I’m surprised he was able to do anything at all. My OB tells me to wait until I feel a contraction and then push as hard as I can for the next 8 seconds, which thankfully she counted out loud for me. We do this 3 times, in quick succession because my contractions are coming that close together. After those 3 she tells me to reach down to touch my babys head. That as such an amazing and crazy feeling. He was almost there.

9:05 am – My OB tells me to take a quick break and we’ll pick up again in a minute. I fight through two contractions trying to catch my breath and the nurse helps me through with the relaxation breathing we were doing earlier. I tell her I’m ready again and push as hard as I can for 10 seconds at a time. I pushed for about 10 minutes and Ryan Kenneth was born at 9:16 am.

They laid him immediately on my chest and I was in love. What people say about the pain going away and the releif being instantaneous is true, all I knew was that my life was now complete. I had been waiting for this little boy all my life and now he was here ☺ Even though I had planned on having an epidural I’m so glad that my birth went the way it did – I wouldn’t change it for anything.

July 5th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! He is adorable!

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

July 6th, 2013, 05:39 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awesome labor! What were his stats? Did I miss that?

July 6th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Veteran
Oh haha I forgot to put the stats in... he was born 19.5 inches long and 6 lbs 5 ozs. And he scored a 9.9 on his Apgar score

He's perfect!
MeggysMommy likes this.
July 6th, 2013, 09:45 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Great birth!!! Congrats what a sweetheart!
July 6th, 2013, 09:54 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
Wow what a great delivery! Congrats!!

July 6th, 2013, 10:23 AM
#5 = the "Newbie"
Congratulations, and is that a pillow pet on your bed?

Barbara 38
Bill 40
Lexi 17
Jeremy 12
Dylan 9
Nathan born April 23, 2012
July 6th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Veteran
Yup that's my monkey pillow pet named Bananas, he's been so helpful to me with nursing. I prop up whichever arm is holding Ryan on him and it's so comfortable
July 7th, 2013, 11:19 PM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
Congratulations, hes gorgeous! x

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

July 9th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Loved your story!! I am glad it went well!! He is beautiful!!! I had a drug free delivery as well. As bad as the pain was I am so glad I did it and am hoping to do it again this time. Kudos mama!
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13

July 11th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What a handsome baby boy, congratulations!
July 13th, 2013, 09:41 AM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats and love his name! Ryan is our little one's name as well!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search