We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
As many of you know, I went two weeks past my due date and my LO still hadn't made his grand entrance. At 41 weeks, my midwife had started monitoring me more closely. On the Friday, I went for an ultrasound where they checked on the placental health, amniotic fluid and size. They never told me anything but the paper said that the baby's size was within the 90th percentile. I was a bit alarmed but decided not to jump to conclusions as often these ultrasound measurements are wrong. On the Monday, I returned for another ultrasound where I was told baby was still fine. On the Tuesday, I saw my midwife and we discussed the ultrasound results. Her opinion was the while baby's abdominal girth was large, his head was normal size so odds were that it would be okay.
Since I was only 1cm dilated and 60% effaced, my midwife did a 2nd stretch and sweep and booked and induction by Cervidil for the following day. Since I wanted to avoid the induction, I decided to take 2tbsp of castor oil that morning. After cleaning out my intestines all afternoon, nothing had happened. In the evening, I was having very mild back pains lasting 10 minutes apart which I thought might be contractions. I went to bed that night and woke up the next morning and the symptoms were gone, so DH and I headed to the hospital for the induction.
Since I had made it to 42 weeks, I had to have an obligatory consultation with an OBGYN. The nurse paged him and all of a sudden started asking me all these questions about my height, size, pre-pregnancy weight, shoe size, etc... I knew exactly where the conversation was going.The OBGYN came in, checked my cervix which was still the same as the day before. He commented that my pelvic was quite narrow and he was concerned about the ultrasound measurements as the baby was measuring at 9-10lbs and I am quite petite. He had no issues with the size of the head but was worried about an elbow getting stuck and causing neurological damage to the baby's arm. He also said that based on how closed my cervix was, even with induction by Cervidil or pitocin, my labour would probably be quite lengthy. I talked about this with my midwife who wasn't convinced about the baby's side but did concur that he feeling was that it might be a very long labour (over 24 hrs).
DH and I discussed it at length and decided that I did not want to go through such a lengthy labour and risk having injury to myself and the baby and ultimately ending up in a c-section. Oddly enough, while all of this was going on, my back pain had started again and when they monitered me I was actually having contractions every 8 minutes. The fact that 24 hrs had passed and my contractions were only 8 minutes apart was disturbing to us. Therefore, I made the painstaking decision to have a c-section right away rather than go with the induction by Cervidil.
I was terrified but DH and my midwife stood by me the whole time. Marcos Daniel was born on July 17th at 6pm weighing 8lbs 13oz (almost the 9lbs they said he would be) and measuring 20 inches. He was perfectly healthy, there was no meconium in the amniotic fluid (that was a concern I had when taking the castor oil). They put in staples rather than stitches which turned out to be the best IMO.
I spent 2 days in the hospital and was discharged on the 19th. The recovery was rather difficult for the first few days but it's been just over a week now and other than a bit of lower back pain, I feel pretty good. My aunt is with me for the week helping out. The midwife came to check on him twice and was impressed by how well he is latching and feeding. He was only 5 days and had almost regained all of his birth weight.
It was a hard decision, having to go with the c-section, and it was very difficult at the time to accept that I would not be experiencing a natural labour and everything that goes with it. But in the end, I did what I thought was best for both Marcos and I, and I have no regrets. I now have a perfectly happy, healthy, chunky little monkey.!