Couponing basics

Sweet Deals and Ideas

Share money saving deals, craft ideas, ways to make life easier, etc.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Sweet Deals and Ideas LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, so some of you have asked about saving money. I'm going to post some links and tell you how I save money with couponing. The first link is about "stockpiling." Yes, some people can go overboard, but the main thing is to figure out how much your family uses in a certain time frame, until the next big sale comes along and keep that much on hand. Typically, sales cycles run about every 6-8 weeks. That means if toothpaste was at it's lowest price this week, you can find it on sale again in another 6-8 weeks, so buy enough during the sale to last that long. It may not always be the same brand, so if you have a favorite, stock up a little more when yours comes on sale. Here's one link that is pretty helpful. It's actually written by a friend of mine. Why you should have a stockpile & organize it!
When you first start to stockpile, you're obviously not going to be blowing your entire budget on just stockpile items, you'll be buying your main groceries too. So figure out what part of your budget (usually $10-$20) can be spent specifically on stocking up. I would say to pick the "best" deals of the week and focus on those at first. Eventually, you will have a small stockpile, and instead of buying thing like toothpaste, or salad dressing every week or so, you'll only be buying it every 8 weeks.

The reason for stockipiling is to ONLY buy something when it is at it's absolute lowest price, and try to match a coupon to an item when it is on sale, making it even better. For example. instead of buying one tube of toothpaste for $3.29, wait for it to go on sale, match a coupon, and you can probably get it for under $0.50. Then buy 6 of them, only spending $3, instead of $3.29 for 1.

Here's a blog post that I wrote that gives just some general tips on how to stay organized and get started Tips For New Couponers

Most coupon sites might seem like they speak a foreign language with all of the abbreviations. Here's a post that translates it all for you Coupon Lingo & Coupon Abbreviations | Couponers United

Ok, so getting started. First, start buying newspapers every Sunday for the coupons and hold on to them. Do not just cut and toss. When sites match store ads with coupons, they will list the week that the coupon can be found. So I file my inserts in a folder and just cut when I am going to use it. But newspapers in sets of 2. When something is on sale for buy one get one free, you can use a coupon on the one you are buying and on the "free" one too. So, if something is on sale for bogo and the price is $2.99, use 2 coupons for $1 off and you will get both products for just $0.99.

If you want to find a blog or website specific to your store, you can generally google "ad matchups" or coupon matchups" and the name of your store. They will take the weekly sale ad and match it with every available coupon to use for those products. And most will highlight the best deals for you.

Sorry this was long and maybe confusing for some of you. If you have any questions, ASK!!! I would love to help you all save. I help teach coupon classes in my area, so I honestly don't mind.

October 10th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No stores in my area will accept coupons for the free items
October 13th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
No stores in my area will accept coupons for the free items
Same here. I've heard people having good luck with that scenario at CVS but there are only Walgreens around me and they pretty much roll their eyes and "yeah right" me out of the store.

Same thing with overages and free trial size items. Unless you want to pick a fight with the cashier for half an hour. I'm over it. Again, i blame the coupon shows lol.

But good luck to everyone this still works for! It seems like in the south there are a lot better deals to be had and coupon friendly stores. I've heard about special triple coupon days and all that jazz. Amazing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search