Gestational Diabetes Snack

Combatting the Candy

Come give and receive support for maintain healthy eating and an active lifestyle.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Combatting the Candy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2013, 08:08 PM
Veteran
Yummy chocolate muffins that are gd friendly, Or they are for me anyway! I LOOOOOVE chocolate, and we're so limited with options.

Anyway, my friend made these muffins a couple weeks ago, and I've had one for a daytime snack and for a bedtime snack and had no problems! Yay! They are very chocolate, and contain all the food groups!

Chunky Monkey Muffins
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 20 min
Makes 15 muffins

1 cups whole-wheat flour
cup all-purpose flour
cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon, dark cocoa powder (I used heaping spoonfuls, but I like it REALLY chocolate!)
2 teaspoons baking soda
teaspoon salt
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
6 ounces low-fat organic vanilla yogurt (I used the Yoplait 90 cal Greek Yogurt, but then realized it's only 5.3 oz)
2 medium overripe bananas, mashed
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
cup soy or cows milk
1/3 cup natural smooth peanut butter- I actually used more than this. I put 1 tablespoon of peanut butter in each muffin (see below) so I wouldn't have to have a separate serving of protein- this way it's an all-in-one snack!

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Measure out the flours, leveling with a knife, into a large mixing bowl along with the brown sugar, flax seed, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips. Whisk together until combined.
3. Combine the yogurt, bananas, egg, vanilla extract, oil, and soy milk into a separate bowl until thoroughly mixed (its okay if there are a few chunks of banana left).
4. Fold the banana mixture into the dry mixture just until combined. Fill the prepared muffin cups full with batter then spoon 1 teaspoon peanut butter on top. Fill the cups with more batter until cup full. (I accidentally filled fully, and made 12 larger muffins, and still didn't have any blood sugar probs.) Put in the oven for 20 minutes or until the tops of muffins look dry and spring back when touched in the center. All to cool on the stovetop.
5. Bake the remaining muffin mixture while you are snacking on a warm one .
June 23rd, 2013, 01:03 PM
seaside's Avatar Veteran
sounds delish will have to try it thanks!

June 23rd, 2013, 03:15 PM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
YUM!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search