fasting sugars

Combatting the Candy

Come give and receive support for maintain healthy eating and an active lifestyle.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jadeunicorn
  • 1 Post By jadeunicorn

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Combatting the Candy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2013, 02:46 AM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At you advised to check your sugars 15 minutes within opening your eyes or just before you take your first bite of food?? I was told like as soon as you wake because once you start moving around that raise your sugars a little bit.

My Ovulation Chart

I'm doing natural family planning
August 23rd, 2013, 09:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was going to ask about fasting sugars too!

I was just told before I eat. So, maybe that's my issue.

I've only tested for 2 days so far, but both days my fasting sugars have been too high. I am supposed to be 60-90, but yesterday I was 105 and today I was 113. All 3 of my after meal checks were in the range needed (under 120). I haven't done my after breakfast one yet today, as it's only been an hour since I finished eating.

I was seriously wondering what was effecting my sugars to be too high. Could the Tums I take be effecting them? I had me snack last night around 9pm (peanuts and a plum), went to bed around 10:30 and took 1 Tums at that time. Woke up around 4am and needed 1 more Tums. Daughter woke up around 7:15, I tried to sleep for another 45 minutes unsuccessfully. Then I sat on the iPad for 30 minutes, then I showered, rested a few more minutes, got dressed and checked sugars at about 9:30am.

Maybe I should check them when I first wake up? Or perhaps I'm going without eating too long? (Once my daughter is in school I'll be up at 6:30, breakfast at 7, so it'll be interesting to see what happens then). Or maybe the Tums are doing something to me since they have sugar in them?

I just don't want my fasting sugars to be the reason I have to start taking medication. My after dinner sugars last night were 109.

Ugh, this all makes my head hurt.

August 23rd, 2013, 06:17 PM
Super Mommy
My after food numbers have been under 120 for the most part... but those morning sugars seemed to stay around 110 and at times went as high as 125.

This is called Dawn Phenomenon and nothing can change this for me. So Im on Insulin at night to make up for what my body is overproducing in glucose.

I check my numbers around the same time every morning...around 7-8 and they stay the same.

Today was the first time it hit 92 and Im hoping that this is because the increase in Insulin is actually working.
August 24th, 2013, 02:50 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I test when I wake up. I've been around 90. There isn't much you can do about your fasting sugar it is what it is. You body just does it while you are asleep.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

August 24th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, sometimes what you eat for bed helps, so you don't get the huge crash and big rise. I HAVE to try to get mine lower, or it'll be meds and no VBAC for me. The testing right when I wake up plus a small protein when I woke up in the middle of the night seemed to help a bit (just not enough). I think I may need to switch to my 6:30 wake-up time before my daughter starts school - going to be so hard not to sleep in on the weekends (that's been a habit for ages).

I saw in some forums a possibility of ice cream as the bedtime snack helping (paired with a protein of course). I may just try that tonight! Although my reflux may greatly dislike my attempt.

August 24th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Veteran
If your taking tums in the middle of the night the number you are taking in the morning is not considered a fasting number(according to my doctor) He also does not think it accurate if I eat after midnight.

[img]

10/2009 11 weeks
Chemical 5/2012
August 25th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The ice cream trick did not work. 110 this morning.

I'm going back to my doctor's suggestion of a small protein middle of the night adding in waking up sooner.

It is amazing that so many doctors have so many different opinions. I'm going to ask for tips from the midwives today, if they aren't bombarded by other people, at the picnic, and will likely be e-mailing the dietician tomorrow. I need to get my morning reading down. I so don't want to go on meds.

And I did tell my doctor about the Tums - she didn't say anything really either way about them.

August 25th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Veteran
Jade- if you are eating a snack at 9pm and not testing until 9:30am, that's too long, I think. I was told to test 8-10 hrs after eating last. Also, waiting that long after you get up will definitely make it higher. We have a 2 story house, so I usually bring the tester in my room if I'm not going downstairs right away. I found that even getting dressed and brushing my teeth makes it higher.
I was also told to eat a starch and a protein before bed. I had been eating low carb greek yogurt, but then my #s were going up. The nurse suggested 1 piece of bread with pb, 1/2 turkey sandwich, or cheese/meat/crackers. What you eat and when, how well you sleep, and what you do before testing all seem to make a difference. Oh yeah, stressing about the numbers being too high can make the numbers too high! Aaack!
I'm sooooooooooooo tired of thinking about all this! Most of the times I feel like crying lately, it's about food!
August 26th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Last few mornings I have been testing right when I wake up. Last time I snacked around 9:45pm, and today I woke up at 6:30am (trying to adjust myself to soon to be school mornings with my daughter). I also did the handful of peanuts at about 1:15am when I woke up to go to the bathroom. Number was still 100, so not low enough.

I've also tried different things for the before bedtime snack (and will try more), but nothing seems to be working for me! I really think the Dawn Phenomenon is my issue. Going to e-mail the dietician today too and see if she has any tips. My fasting number is the ONLY number I'm having issues with.

I'm also trying to walk more, but exercise isn't going to show in the sugars immediately, probably not for a week or two (I'm hoping to do 2-20 minute walks per day).

Last edited by jadeunicorn; August 26th, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
August 26th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Super Mommy
My endo called me today to discuss my numbers. He recommended I dont eat plantains (ya think lol).

He upped my NPH to 14 units and told me to relaaaaaax.
August 27th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopia View Post
My endo called me today to discuss my numbers. He recommended I dont eat plantains (ya think lol).

He upped my NPH to 14 units and told me to relaaaaaax.
Relax? Lol. I find it impossible to relax when it comes to this stupid GD. I am like a mad deer, when I see my number in the morning. But then again I am desperate to control this with diet alone so I don't have a gagillion more appointments along with the chance of a VBAC disappearing.

Ugh. Time for a walk before it gets too hot today.
Myopia likes this.

August 27th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Super Mommy
You have to meet him to understand. He is very laid back. The problem is.. the more we stress.. the higher our numbers..
August 28th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
You have to meet him to understand. He is very laid back. The problem is.. the more we stress.. the higher our numbers..
Yes, I know, must stress less. So hard.

I at least got my fasting number down to 94 this morning! I am thinking if I can at least get under 95 consistently, I can convince my doctor not to get me on meds. So, I'm going to do tonight exactly what I did last night before bed (and I did the small amount of peanuts middle of the night, which the dietician now also suggested). *crosses fingers*
Myopia likes this.

August 28th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Super Mommy
I was just going to say that!

Im going to try eating something at 2 am when my husband goes to work and see if that doesnt drop me.
August 29th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I was just going to say that!

Im going to try eating something at 2 am when my husband goes to work and see if that doesnt drop me.
I was 97 today. This is so frustrating when it's so close, especially since the standards differ from doctor to doctor. And I know in some cases under 99 is considered fine. Grrrr.

Aim for protein and plant fiber roughage if you can for that 2am snack! That was what was suggested to me. I am also doing wheat bread and PB plus more peanuts for my before bedtime snack. I was also suggested celery and PB for the middle of the night one, but going to the kitchen would wake me up too much.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search