Come give and receive support for maintain healthy eating and an active lifestyle.
Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.
We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I figured it would be a good idea to start a topic for the types of meals and snacks we all put together that seem to work to help keep our sugars in reasonable range. That way, we can try to mix things up instead of having the same thing over and over again!
So, post your meals and snacks here.
Disclaimer: Keep in mind some foods will react in people differently, so what works for one mama may not work for another. Also, some mamas are limited to a certain amount of calories while others are not.
If I need to add anything to the disclaimer, let me know. Don't intentionally intend to leave any mamas out!
(I'll post some meals I've done some time tomorrow, as it's getting late - I want my snack and bed!)
Anything thats protein and veggies. No carbs at all.
See I was told I should still have carbs with every meal, not to completely cut them out. Just to only have a certain number. It is interesting how widely dietician and doctor suggestions vary for GD!
Here's what's been working for me lately.
- Apple (2 Carbs)
- 2 Eggs (either hard-boiled, fried or scrambled)
- 1/2 serving old-fashioned oatmeal OR 1 piece of wheat toast OR whole wheat English Muffin (1 Carb)
- Handful of carrots if I'm still hungry
For easy prep, I boil a bunch of eggs one night that last me a few days. I also make a big batch of oatmeal one night and divide it into portions and just re-heat in the morning in the micro (usually make enough to last 3 days between me, hubbie, and my daughter).
- 1 cup 1% Milk (1 Carb)
- Fruit (2 Carbs worth, so portion size depends on the fruit)
- Romaine Lettuce Salad with shredded cheese, a little sunflower seeds, a little Italian dressing, and about 4 oz. of chicken breast (hubbie either grills or bakes some ahead of time to use in salads for a couple days)
- 1 slice of Wheat bread (1 Carb)
- Milk and Fruit the same
- 8 Reduced Fat Wheat Thins (1 Carb)
- Cheese and summer sausage to put on the crackers - yum!
If still hungry, add a veggie (baby carrots are my easy go to veggie during the day)
- 1 cup 1% Milk (1 Carb)
- 1 Medium (about 1 1/2 cups worth) sweet potato with butter OR 1 cup brown rice OR 1 corn on the cob (3 Carbs)
- Lots of veggies, usually Steamfresh bag since we're lazy and the steamer is still dirty, so mostly Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Ham, or Brat w/o bun, Hamburger w/o bun (I do use a tiny bit of ketchup to dip in, but not tons), chicken breast, steak, pork chops, cod, salmon - different meat/fish proteins
- 1 slice wheat toast with natural peanut butter (1 carb plus protein)
- 3 cups popcorn (we have a popper, so can make a bunch ahead of time!) drizzled with butter and 1-2 handfuls of peanuts (1 carb plus protein)
- 1 6 oz. container non-fat Chobani Greek Yogurt with a little bit of granola on top (1 1/2 carbs, but the yogurt is also a protein!)
- 1 Fruit (serving size depends on fruit) and 1-2 handfuls of peanuts OR 1-2 reduced fat string cheese OR cottage cheese (1 carb plus protein)
This has worked for me during the day so far (it's just my fasting sugars being a pain - stupid hormones). I still get hungry between now and then. I'm also attempting to up my exercise. Once this heat dies down, I hope to be walking twice per day about 20 minutes each time.
I had about one spoonful of rice with my dinner and I was ok.
I really cant tolerate any kind of carbs. I cant even breathe an english muffin... and oatmeal... I wish!
You put me to shame. LOL
Doh. I'm sorry it's so extreme for you! It is such a different range for everyone and some people can handle certain things but not others.
I was bad yesterday and wanted to see how something effected me. 10 piece chicken nugget, 1 packet of sweet sour sauce, and a side salad with half the packet of Caesar dressing put me at 124 (so over) even though it was only technically not even 4 carbs worth in there. It was worth a shot. It seems like my biggest problems are stuff made with white flour (so my guess was the breading on the nuggets did it to me). Tonight we'll be trying spaghetti hopefully (whole wheat pasta), so we'll see how I do on that.
Last night I had 2 hard shell taco supremes from Taco Bell plus half of a sweet potato and my sugars were still good! If I still would have been hungry, I would have just made some Steamfresh veggies. So, if we are careful, we can still eat out occasionally too.
Another dinner to add that I'm SO happy I can have.
- 1 cup of whole wheat spaghetti noodles (3 Carbs)
- Pasta Sauce (we used Classico from the jar) with LOTS of ground beef in it (1 Carb, due to the sauce - 1/2 cup is supposed to equal 1 carb, but since it was mixed in, was hard to tell...we definitely had more meat than sauce - heh)
- Veggies (broccoli and cauliflower)
My sugars were only 113 at the 2-hour check. Yay! Love my spaghetti. Had to resist a 2nd bowl of course, hence the veggies.