How do I use frozen breast milk?

The Milky Way

Breastfeeding 101: Share your struggles and your successes!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Books_kids
  • 1 Post By jadeunicorn
  • 1 Post By keokonek

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Milky Way LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I apparently think I'm feeding quads and not twins. I'm producing crazy amounts and the hospital told me to freeze the excess at home. They have a ton frozen at the hospital too, but I bring fresh daily. I got the freezer bags for breast mik and i have a lot of bags full now. If I want to or need to use it, how do I do it? I'll be given the tons of 2 oz bottles from the hospital when the girls are released as well. I've got well over 100 oz now, probably closer to 200. What am I going to do with it? I'm pumping 8-14 oz depending on if its 2-3 hrs and if I've slept. I'll probably keep pumping to keep up my excess supply so I know I'll have enough for my babies in the long run, so I think I'll have a ton stored!

November 9th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You have the bags and your laying them flat to freeze, right? I don't know your plans for work but I didn't use much frozen milk until I went back to work. I had two freezer shelfs full of milk and when I stopped nursing at 9 months I had enough milk left to last until baby was one and we switched to cows milk.

If I were in your shoes id just keep a stockpile. There are going to be times when baby's are building up your supply that you might need to go to your stash. Also it would be nice for family
to help with the feedings and you can get a rest.

Good luck!!
LABs likes this.
November 10th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Kellymom.com is a great resource for anything BF and pumping related! Here's one of their links which includes info on handling freeezer supply: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...orage-preemie/
LABs likes this.

November 10th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Super Mommy
I always thawed in a cup of hot water in the bag and then transferred to the bottle. Honestly, you'll probably end up throwing a lot of it away though. With my last I got a pretty good stockpile in the beginning but wasn't working so we barely used it and most of it expired. I'd have to look it up again but I think it's only good for 6 mo in a deep freeze and 3 mo in the freezer connected to the fridge.
LABs likes this.
November 10th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I usually thawed it in the fridge (putting the bag in a container in case it leaked when thawing), transferred to a bottle and warmed when needed.

Kellymom definitely has a lot of good info regarding how long it's good for, etc.

I'm guessing once the girls are home, you will have less time to pump, so I would keep up with it for now. You can always then use some of the frozen stuff and pump new stuff later down the road to rotate thru it.
November 10th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't work outside the home and I'm really not the type to leave my baby for more then a quick run to the store if even that much. I don't know if that will change with twins, but I'd have to pump while out. I think the only way I'd use it is if I have supply issues down the road. I'll move the shelf of bags to the deep freeze for long term storage.

I guess I could feed it to my boys instead of cows milk. I wonder if it mixes with Carnation Instant Breakfast? My boys like chocolate milk!

November 10th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I moved a grocery bag full to the deep freeze and froze 48 oz today. I always thought I over produced! I wonder when they will go through the first growth spurt?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search