carriers/slings/wraps

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By MommaLove13
  • 1 Post By Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
  • 1 Post By Mrs. D

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Super Mommy
Since this was mentioned in another post, it got me thinking..
I do want to do some baby wearing for sure. We travel a lot (and plan to keep doing so once baby is here) and I think baby wearing while traveling will probably be lots easier than bringing strollers everywhere.

For you second timers, what have you preferred to use if you did so?
I looked on babies r us and there's literally over 100 pages of different types. Bit overwhelming when you have NO idea what you want or might prefer.

So what did you like?
July 17th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My favorite for newborn is moby. For older babies I recommend an ergo (they do have newborn insert but never tried it) or a mei tai type carrier. Babyhawk mei tai was a favorite. I sold mine and will be buying another. I still have my moby and I loved that for newborn and you can nurse using it too.
July 17th, 2013, 05:08 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Love our Baby Bjorn, used it all the time. Fits both me (5'2 135 lbs) and my husband (6'3 255 pounds). Super easy to take on and off. I found the Moby way too time consuming. I also had a sling, but it had no "give" to it. I want to try a different one this time.
July 17th, 2013, 06:39 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I'm a baby wearing addict!

I currently own:
2 GypsyMama Bali Breeze gauze wraps, 1 Ergo (for sale with infant insert if anybody needs one), 1 Beco Butterfly II, 1 Baby Bjorn (also for sale), 1 Wrap Converted Mei Tai, 1 water wrap (for wearing baby in the pool), and 1 Boba Air.

I promised hubby I wouldn't buy any new carriers for this baby until I sold some of the ones I don't use anymore. I am going to get a cutie cover for my BBII! Super excited about that!

For a newbie, you cannot beat the Gypsymama Bali Breeze for a first wrap. It's very similar to a moby except it doesn't stretch out so it's easier to get a secure wrap every time. This is what I will use with my newborn until she can hold her neck and back up. Then I switch to the Beco Butterfly II with a back carry. When I have help getting her on my back, I'll use my WCMT. If you want to be able to get baby on your back without help, I highly recommend the Beco Butterfly. But if you plan to front carry a lot and will have help, the Boba 3G is the way to go. I've been asking for one every Christmas and Birthday since my oldest dd was born, but my family refuses to buy it for me. LAME!

So in summary: GMBB and BBII or Boba3G

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
July 17th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks guys! I think I'm interested in the wrap types, but they look a lot more complicated to actually learn and/or do yourself- is this true? Is there just a learning curve you need to grasp, and then it's a breeze? I do know I want/need one that I can do on my own w/o help. I want to be able to go about when my DH is working.

Something like the ergo looks a lot easier to manage, but the wraps just look more comfortable or something.
July 17th, 2013, 07:25 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Everyone says the wraps are easy to use after a few times, but I never had the patience. I even watched the YouTube video. The Baby Bjorn is just so easy to throw on, and adjust between me and dh. It's super comfortable to wear, and can be used from newborn until around a year old. It was a lifesaver for me.
July 17th, 2013, 08:52 AM
taterm's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be using a Baby K'Tan. It's like the Moby but you don't have to wrap/tie it.
And I have a Boba for when baby is older/heavier.

*Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!
July 17th, 2013, 09:18 AM
It really depends on the wrap. I had a moby and watched videos and all kinds of stuff and just couldn't do it. I could get it tied perfectly (or so I thought) and 20 min later I would be supporting the baby with my hand bc she felt like she was about to fall right out. With my bali breeze, I watched a youtube video and tied it perfectly the first time.

Unfortunately baby carriers are like strollers and carseats. There's no such thing as the ONE perfect carrier that will be everything you need in every situation forever. Most carriers that are good with newborns aren't supportive enough for toddlers and the ones that are good for toddlers are too bulky for a squish. You really need a wrap and a buckle (like an Ergo) IMHO.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
July 17th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What ever you decide make sure it's not a "crotch dangler". There are several baby carriers that have the infant/child dangling which can cause hip damage for the baby. The baby/child should look like he/she is in a sitting position for hip support. You can google to read more and about recommended and not recommended carriers.

Here is just 1 article I like to share bout crotch danglers.

Safe Babywearing: An Illustrated Guide to Hip Health
Mrs. D and iErica like this.
July 17th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran
I love, love, love the moby. I only learned one way to wrap it (though baby could face either in or out). I don't think it was really hard to use, but more time consuming, yes. For a newborn, it re-creates the 'womb' feeling (which we BOTH really enjoyed). My 8-month-old could definately still use it, but since im pregnant, im looking to switch her into a backpack style carrier. Still, so, so, so worth it to try the moby even if you also choose to get another carrier when your babe gets bigger.
July 17th, 2013, 05:58 PM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a moby and I want to use it more this time, i'm also so excited that i'm going to buy a boba.

6/15/13
July 17th, 2013, 06:36 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a ring sling, a close2myheart wrap (maybe like a mobi but with cuter fabrics), and a boba. Love the wrap for when my little one was newborn to 6 months, and I use the boba from about 6 months to currently (19 months). The ring sling is also great for quick trips or to keep in your diaper bags, but found baby was only comfortable once he could be in the seated position.
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

July 17th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
Don't get me wrong, I love baby wearing, still do. But there are times where my stroller is a life saver. My son doesn't always want to be on me. He was a summer baby and we would both sweat SO bad. So, I will baby wear again. LOVE my moby and ergo so much. I might make a ring sling this time too. Hoping I can figure out how to nurse in one.
WhoaMomma! likes this.

July 17th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
If I can get one super cheap to try I might get a Moby. But I will definitely be getting an ergonomic carrier, too. Either a Boba Carrier for Baby | Baby Carrier | Boba Family, an Ergo Ergobaby Carriers, or a Tula TULA Baby Carriers | Toddler Carriers — Ergonomic Baby Carrier. I've also heard about the hip and spine damage of the "dangling" carriers. So be careful that whichever one you choose puts the baby in a knees raised position on you.
MommaLove13 likes this.
July 17th, 2013, 11:14 PM
2014 Offshoremama78's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a few seven slings, and I think I may make a few more..
I have a pattern for the Beco butterfly, and want a Moby like wrap..
I am going to be a crafting foo!!

My Ovulation Chart

Soy Iso Believer

Alexander Cameron Murphy
02/27/2014 - 02/27/2014
July 18th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I think the ergonomic carriers are more comfortable for baby and mom, however, can we please not start with the scare tactics already? Loaded terms like "Crotch danglers" are really rude when we already have people saying they use Bjorns. And nobody's baby is going to have spinal damage from using the wrong carrier. Sheesh. It's too early to start trying to coerce new moms into doing everything the "right way"

July 18th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaMomma! View Post
I think the ergonomic carriers are more comfortable for baby and mom, however, can we please not start with the scare tactics already? Loaded terms like "Crotch danglers" are really rude when we already have people saying they use Bjorns. And nobody's baby is going to have spinal damage from using the wrong carrier. Sheesh. It's too early to start trying to coerce new moms into doing everything the "right way"

Oh come on now. That is the term that is used to describe them in fact almost every single article you will read on carrier dangers use that term. It's not a scare tactic at all. It's actually been studied and proved to be dangerous. I had no idea until I was informed about it, so I will inform others regardless if people want to hear it or not. Heck I use to own one until I was informed about the dangers and will never use one again. It's to early for a due date club to have drama. Also I guarantee 100% there will be worse debates in here then a dang carrier. Just wait until natural vs. c/s starts, formula vs breast, circ vs. non, I assure you this is nothing compared to those threads that will arise

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search