C-section or vaginal?

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By MommaLove13
  • 1 Post By one.juniper
  • 2 Post By HeatherLyn429
  • 2 Post By maybethistime
  • 2 Post By Mrs. D
  • 1 Post By Mrs. D

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
sydneyrose's Avatar Veteran
I had a c section with my first pregnancy, wondered if I could have a baby naturally now. Read online most doctors won't recommend a VBAC if you've already had a c section because its "safer" that way but i've also heard that 60%-80% are successful at a VBAC. Is that true? Has anyone experienced this?

I'd like to know.
Thanks!

xx
July 22nd, 2013, 10:37 AM
Super Mommy
You need to discuss it with your DR, because it depends on their policy.. and also the policy of your hospital you'll be delivering at. I've never delivered a baby, but I know my practice and hospital is very pro VBAC. As long as everything is smooth, they highly encourage a vaginal birth.

I know some aren't keen on it, though. So it depends on who you are seeing. If you really, really want one and your DR isn't into that, you could always search for one who is
July 22nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It will depend on your dr and hospital policy or if you choose midwife with a home birth or birthing center/hospital birth. If you strongly want a VBAC I recommend checking out ICAN and find your local chapter for help in finding a dr or midwife that supports VBAC.
HeatherLyn429 likes this.
July 22nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I think it really depends on the reason you had a c-section, some people are more legible for a vbac then others and also some doctors are more willing to do them then others. If you really want to have one you might find yourself shopping around for a new doctor. You best discuss it with him/her at your next appointment.
J.E.N.N. likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
July 22nd, 2013, 02:28 PM
2014 Offshoremama78's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
And it also depends on what type of Csection you had..

My Ovulation Chart

Soy Iso Believer
ACM conceived with Soy Iso On 07/04/13
Currently (10/2014) TTC With SI, SMEP, BBT, CM, CP, and OPK

Alexander Cameron Murphy
02/27/2014 - 02/27/2014
July 22nd, 2013, 03:35 PM
Super Mommy
My sister has a c-section with her first because she had precalmpsiya and it was an emergency and with her second after discussing it with her doctor she decided on a c-sec and with this one she's already having it planned as a c-sec I guess. I would have tried a v-bac with the second or third but I guess she didn't care.

July 22nd, 2013, 03:53 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a really easy vaginal with my son, but Maiya was breech the entire time so I had to have a c/section (we tried chiropractor/ manual version, etc)...the DR comforted me at the time saying that I would be the perfect candidate for a VBAC...
July 22nd, 2013, 04:03 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
I have had 5 sucessful VBAC's, my last being a vbac waterbirth. My c/s was due to severe pre-e.
I think a lot depends on the reason you had a c/s.
And if a doctor told me I had to have another c/s simply because it was safer (which I don't buy), and not because of an actual medical reason for me, I'd be looking for a new doctor.
3Sapphires and Danielle.W like this.
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"

Last edited by HeatherLyn429; July 22nd, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
July 22nd, 2013, 04:37 PM
Veteran
I had an elective c-section @38weeks, The doc reassured me it would be fine. The c-sec itself was great, didn't feel a thing, the recovery was super fast. But my baby had respiratory distress @5min.
So NO, I wouldn't have an elective c-section again, absolutely. Unfortunately I had OBs tell me that I would have probably needed surgery anyway because I'm soooo tiny even my 7lbs11 baby wouldn't pass. Also, because I'm such high risk, they advice me to not go past 39w, because f the risk of having a stillbirth.
So I guess I'm up to anything the doctor finds safer...!
Unfortunately I won't meet with the doc that will do the actual delivery untill I'm around 19-20w... I'm moving to the US to have the baby @ cincinatti...

July 22nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
J.E.N.N.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dr and hospital wont allow vbacs. Mine was bc we pushed for quite awhile and she just wouldn't come out. He suspected I wouldn't be able to have a vaginal but let me try anyways and it ended up in a csection.

I agree with the others to talk your doctor when you get to meet with them
July 23rd, 2013, 08:41 AM
sydneyrose's Avatar Veteran
I have a scar down low on my bikini line and I had a c section because the twins were sitting on each others cords and needed to get out before they didn't get enough air.

So, it's nothing with me, it was more to ensure the safety of the baby. I was thinkin if I do a natural birth, I'd do a water birth... Sounds so relaxing.

Then again, I've never given birth vaginally so I'm pretty hesitant.
July 23rd, 2013, 03:41 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
Most doctors would "prefer" to do a C-section because then they can fit it into their schedule. Don't be afraid to push if it's something you really want, although sometimes the reason for your first c-section puts you in a higher risk category. My sister had a c-section with her first, VBAC with her second and had her third at home with a midwife. I've had 2 C-sections because I wasn't a good candidate for a VBAC. At the end of the day a healthy baby is the most important thing
HeatherLyn429 and Empty arms like this.
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

July 23rd, 2013, 04:06 PM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
Csections are inherently risky for the mom and the baby. And the more you have, the riskier it is. The reasons most doctors don't want to do vbac are 1. because the use of dangerous induction drugs (like Cytotec) can cause severely strong contractions which can rupture the uterus. And 2. It's much more convenient to simply schedule a surgery than to be called in at an undetermined time and maybe wait for hours for things to happen naturally.

I'm convinced that, even though csection a are relatively safe, it's worth it to do vaginal if possible. The recovery time is much longer for a section. Risk of infection is greater. Risk of maternal mortality is greater. A higher likelihood of the baby ending up in the NICU. And there's the possibility that the due date might be miscalculated and the baby might have immature lungs.
HeatherLyn429 and Empty arms like this.
July 23rd, 2013, 04:11 PM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
This may help. Best Evidence: Vaginal Birth After Cesarean | VBAC or Repeat C-Section
Empty arms likes this.

Tags
birth , natural , surgery

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search