Breastfeeding or Bottle Feeding?

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree64Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
What do you plan to do?

I exclusively nursed my son for 14.5 months (his choice not mine) and I do intend to breastfeed again, but hope the next will take a bottle of pumped milk as well.

July 23rd, 2013, 07:03 PM
Danielle.W's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
breastfed both my kids for 2 years each, no formula and only a few bottles of pumped milk. I plan on nursing this one for 2 years too

Mama to Valley, Lyric
Levi 9/2009 & Mara 9/2013

My Ovulation Chart

Cycle 12 (of 16) after 2nd tri miscarriage: Soy Iso take 5

July 23rd, 2013, 07:17 PM
2014 Offshoremama78's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will breast feed, and pump and bottle feed.
My almost two yr old nursed till almost a yr
When he weened himself.

My Ovulation Chart

Soy Iso Believer

Alexander Cameron Murphy
02/27/2014 - 02/27/2014
July 23rd, 2013, 07:44 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bottle feeding. Definitely.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
July 23rd, 2013, 07:47 PM
I breastfed my DD for 7 months but she also took a bottle of pumped milk. I plan to breastfeed this baby as well.
July 23rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Regular
Plan to breastfeed, with some pumping and bottles as I work part-time. DD nursed for two years - not sure I'll want to go that long with this one but I didn't plan to go that long with DD, so you never know...
July 23rd, 2013, 08:58 PM
Breastfeeding. I have a combined total of 6 1/4 years of nursing amongst all of my children and I'm still nursing my youngest. I nurse them until they wean, usually sometime after they turn 2. The other two took pumped milk occasionally but my youngest refused all bottles and pacifiers.
Army Spouse and Mama to DS (9/07) DD (5/09) DD (7/11) and Expecting #4! (3/19/14)

July 23rd, 2013, 09:01 PM
Super Mommy
Breast feeding for sure!

Mommy to Miles born 11/07/09.
Anxiously awaiting the arrival of baby boy Dylan due March 14th, 2014!

July 23rd, 2013, 09:32 PM
Mine refused bottles too. We started at 3 days old, and he would just drool it all out. He never got down the sucking. He never had a big sucking reflex either - hated pacifiers. And when he got to sippys he was never strong enough to drink from most all of them.

July 23rd, 2013, 09:51 PM
My youngest could never get the hang of changing her suck between breast and bottle. I think the artificial-ness also bothered her. Even now, she prefers drinking from a regular cup rather than a sippy cup because the movement with her tongue and palate is similar. She has a tongue tie, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Army Spouse and Mama to DS (9/07) DD (5/09) DD (7/11) and Expecting #4! (3/19/14)

July 23rd, 2013, 10:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would like to breast feed if possible and my aim is 12-16 weeks of milk. I will return to work around week 10 or so which will decide alot.

July 23rd, 2013, 10:07 PM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
Breast feeding, definitely. I breast fed DS until about 18 months when he weaned himself. There are just so many benefits to breast feeding and so many disadvantages for kids who end up taking formula. I couldn't imagine not breast feeding.
Danielle.W likes this.
July 23rd, 2013, 10:07 PM
My son likes sippys but he always needed soft ones that weren't large. I think because I had an abundance of milk and it came quickly, he didn't have to work hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. D View Post
Breast feeding, definitely. I breast fed DS until about 18 months when he weaned himself. There are just so many benefits to breast feeding and so many disadvantages for kids who end up taking formula. I couldn't imagine not breast feeding.
I wouldn't judge those who formula feed. We don't know the reasons at all. Sometimes women have to and sometimes they choose to, but they are feeding their baby and doing what is best for their family.

July 24th, 2013, 05:01 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. D View Post
I have two very beautiful, healthy, extremely intelligent children that were formula babies. They are at no disadvantage.
Moms who choose to use formula are at a disadvantage though. There is an unbelievable amount of unfair judging and pressure by people who assume they know best for our babies and family.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26

Last edited by smsturner; July 24th, 2013 at 05:05 AM.
July 24th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Breastfeeding for sure, but I am definitely not against formula if something happens and we need it. Both my girls had formula. 1 of them was exclusively formula fed. There are so many reason's to formula feed that others don't even need to know about. I don't feel like I owe anyone a reason for exclusively formula feeding 1 of my girls. I'm all for doing what works for your family.
July 24th, 2013, 05:56 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I plan to breastfeed. I breastfed both of my boys for about 15 months. I was still nursing Jacob when I got pregnant with this baby. He is mostly done nursing now though. He still nurses right before bed time but that's it. I will also pump milk and feed with a bottle. I work full time so my baby will be in daycare and will need to be able to take a bottle. Plus DH likes to feed baby sometimes so if baby takes a bottle that lets him help with feeding.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
July 24th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I exclusively BF both my sons for about 14mo. I go back to work f/t at 12 weeks so I have needed to pump a lot. With my first it was stressfully because I did not have enough of a stock pile, so I was just pumping one day ahead. My second time I had a stockpile of 1000 ounce before I went back to work so I had a lot more breathing space. I plan on doing the same thing again, while I hate pumping I loved BFing.

July 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Veteran
I just don't allow myself to dream that far yet... I dreamed a lot about BF in my first pregnancy, and it never came true, so... I'll try to BF, if it works, fine, if it doesn't, the kid won't go hungry! As long as I have a live baby in my arms (notice I don't even ask for a healthy one, I'll take whatever comes!!) I'll be happy!!

July 24th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Breast feed to bottle pretty quickly this time around I think. I do not love breast feeding, and hate it out of the house. Plus I shed many tears transitioning little ones to a bottle after a few months when my milk stopped coming in. ( all my kids were sensitive to dairy which meant I had to change my diet which killed my supply).

I think it's a beautiful thing but I am not putting any pressure on myself this time around.
Ally11, BrittneyLA and Empty arms like this.
July 24th, 2013, 10:04 AM
sydneyrose's Avatar Veteran
I plan to breast feed. Didn't get to last time since my babies were born too small to nurse and I tried to pump but I didn't develop milk since I was only pregnant for seven months. If not 6 1/2.

I am not against bottle feeding but is like to breast feed and pump if possible. Pump at night so daddy can get up and help!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search