Thoughts on home birth?

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Melissa.Anne's Avatar Veteran
So I never ever thought I'd be someone who would even CONSIDER home birth... but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

We already have our midwife, and there will be a second midwife present at birth. I have a friend who is a doula who I was thinking of having with me...

I think I really like the idea of a natural birth, but know that if I were at the hospital, it would be too easy to just say "give me the epidural"... if I'm at home, surrounded by 3 people who are professionals and know exactly what they're doing, I'm confident I can handle it. I like the idea of being in the comfort of my own home, and just doing what my body is telling me to do. I am exactly 15 minutes away from 2 different hospitals, so should a problem arise, we could probably get to the hospital in 10 minutes if we sped.

I think if we decide to go this route, we won't tell any of our family. We'll just call them after the baby is born and say "we decided not to go to the hospital" (The midwife comes to the house for the first part of labour anyways)...

What are your thoughts? Is this something you would ever consider? Do you know anyone who has given birth at home?
MKnaomi likes this.
August 20th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Veteran
I have wanted to have a home birth even before I became pregnant, however with my first we couldn't afford it, ended up having a 100% natural pain med free birth in a hospital. This time, home birth still is not in the cards, but taking the next best (in my opinion) option and we will be going to a birth center. Chances are this is our last baby so I probably won't get to have a home birth - but for those that can I think it's a great opportunity!
August 20th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflykisses2 View Post
I have wanted to have a home birth even before I became pregnant, however with my first we couldn't afford it, ended up having a 100% natural pain med free birth in a hospital. This time, home birth still is not in the cards, but taking the next best (in my opinion) option and we will be going to a birth center. Chances are this is our last baby so I probably won't get to have a home birth - but for those that can I think it's a great opportunity!
Why is it more expensive to have a home birth? Here in Canada it is free no matter where I have the baby, and I'm assuming you're in the States? Is it because there is a premium to be paid to have the healthcare professionals come to you?
August 20th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
I love the idea of it, and that so many can do it. But I can't. We live too far from the hospital and I bled out really bad with my first miscarriage leading to emergency surgery. I would be far too scared it could happen again to ever attempt it.

August 20th, 2013, 09:09 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
If you are considering a home birth you should make sure you get on a midwife list that does one. My sister is in T.O. and was on a waiting list and never made it on. My other sister had a home birth for her third child. She had a C-section first, then a vbac and said the home birth was by far the best. I personally loooove my OB so I will be doing it at the hospital
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

August 20th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybethistime View Post
If you are considering a home birth you should make sure you get on a midwife list that does one. My sister is in T.O. and was on a waiting list and never made it on. My other sister had a home birth for her third child. She had a C-section first, then a vbac and said the home birth was by far the best. I personally loooove my OB so I will be doing it at the hospital
We are already in the care of the Burlington midwives, and they give you the option of home birth vs hospital. I think she said that she does about 1/2 at home and 1/2 at the hospital - so they are definitely down if we are! And yes, to get in with the midwives, I had to literally apply the night I found out I was pregnant - at 4.5 weeks, or I'd be out of luck.

Our midwife explained to us that since there are many "false alarms" for first time mothers, even if you are planning to go to the hospital to deliver, they will come to you first when you feel the onset of labour. They will check you and determine if it is the real deal. If it is labour, they stay at home with you for as long as you like and then go to the hospital at "some point" - up to the parents. (Or midwife, if something doesn't seem right) I can see with that set up and mentality, that it would be much easier to have a home birth.
MKnaomi likes this.
August 20th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
If you can do it, great!! I don't think I could! I had scar tissue that was preventing my from dialating and stuck me in a very painful labor for almost 3 days!!! Some women can can do it and I'm jealous but it's not for me! My pain tolerance is low! I couldn't even handle needles til my surgery a few years ago. Lol

<3
August 20th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa.Anne View Post
Why is it more expensive to have a home birth? Here in Canada it is free no matter where I have the baby, and I'm assuming you're in the States? Is it because there is a premium to be paid to have the healthcare professionals come to you?
Yes I'm in the states, some states/insurances from what I understand will cover a home birth, but others don't and I'm not sure why that is. My current insurance will cover hospital fees in full and I'm very fortunate that I found a birth center that will also be covered in full. I'll have to drive 30 min-1 hour to and from but I'd much rather do that then deal with the closest hospital.
August 21st, 2013, 04:57 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's awesome that women get to choose what kind of birth experience they want. I wish it was something that didn't have to be argued over with insurance companies.

It's just not for me though. I have a hip defect they have to watch. I also had a major bleed when I had my son, and that was too scary.

As for 100% natural pain-killer free? lol I did that once. I sure hope I don't have to again. It didn't add anything for me. I want an epidural. Definitely.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
August 21st, 2013, 05:45 AM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My SIL is a doula, studying to be a MW & has done it once & attempted it another time. With her last she ended up going to the hospital for pain management (epi). This last time everyone one involved tried to talk her out of going to the hospital. They reminded her of her goal & it took them forever to agree to take her in. She was really upset it took everyone so long to oblige to her request.

In the past I've had my babies in 2 seconds. It would really be more practical for me, but something about having baby in hospital make me feel more secure.

August 21st, 2013, 06:03 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
Personally, a home birth is not for me. I do have natural childbirth, but I do so in the hospital
I like my 2 day hospital stay, just quiet one on one time with me and baby, 3 meals in bed, able to rest.
If I gave birth at home that would not happen, I have way to active of a household. I'm planning another natural water birth in the hospital

I think its great though for women who want to homebirth to be able to have that option!
madis-mama17 and JillyP like this.
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
August 21st, 2013, 06:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a natural hospital birth with my first and a home birth with my second, and I had good experiences with both. This time I will be back in the hospital because neither one of my insurance will cover a home birth so it is $4000 out of pocket or hospital is completely free (and I found a OB who will do a hospital water birth). For me the biggest difference was not home v. hospital as it was being able to birth in the water. I did have some medical problems when I was doing the home birth (a UTI and a pinched nerve) that the home midwife was pretty useless for. That said the birth itself at home was amazing.

August 21st, 2013, 06:19 AM
Veteran
If you feel a home birth could be a possibility go for it. Just be sure to research "home birth gone wrong". That's not meant to scare you, I just think that's a very good way of making sure you're as safe as possible!! Reading wonderfull home birth stories just adds to the dream part of it - and that's important, but not everything!
There's really just so much you can do... So do it!

August 21st, 2013, 07:09 AM
Veteran
I have delivered all of my children with a midwife, including twins. All med-free. However, since cost is not an issue and the insurance covers the birth in a hospital 100%, I will choose a hospital- only because I know that anything can happen and of the two places, the hospital is more equipped to handle emergencies. My second son inhaled his meconium on the way out-it was scary. My third son was twin 2 and breech, and came out blue and not breathing. I guess those little scares made me confident that a hospital birth is the best option for me. Better safe than sorry. I also believe that home births are not allowed in my state, but I may be wrong.
August 21st, 2013, 09:10 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
My cousin had a home birth after a horrible experience in the hospital with her first. She was so pleased with her home birth, I think it went very well for them.

I live in a rural area and the closest hospital (the one I'll deliver at) is a min. 30 minute drive and its a very small hospital. If you are having serious complications they sometimes can't handle that and need to transport you anyways to another hospital (those would be 45 min. to 1.5 hrs). I just don't think given my location I'd feel comfortable with a home birth.

Pinterest
Flickr
August 21st, 2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran
I think they're interesting, but not for me! I feel so much better in a hospital. ??? I'm not even sure if they do them around here.
August 21st, 2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks so much for all of your feedback! It will definitely require lots of thought and might not be possible if this pregnancy is not 'textbook', but we shall see. I'm going to meet with my doula friend on Saturday and we'll see what she has to say
August 22nd, 2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran
A birth center would be more in line with my natural preferences, but i never dreamed i could afford one, as my insurance certainly doesn't cover it. However, my last hospital birth was entirely unmedicated, uncomplicated, and i still paid my out-of-pocket max of $2000. My new insurance has an even higher out-of-pocket max, so it could be as much as $5000 this time!! Thats pretty much in the same price range as the uninsured birthing center, lol! So im revisiting that possibility.

A quick comment on the subject of home births: my grandmother (and most mothers in her time) birthed each of her 6 at home because hospital births were considered the more dangerous option back then.
And, to some degree, i still believe that today due to the overuse of interventions.
MKnaomi likes this.
August 22nd, 2013, 11:26 PM
Danielle.W's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HI! I'm popping in from April

I had two homebirths and I LOVED them. I attend births all.the.time as a birth photographer, and here's what I can tell you.

There are WAY more incidents in the hospital statistically speaking. Significantly more C-sections and infant deaths. The US has the highest first day infant mortality rate in the civilized world.

That and we have over 98% of our births IN HOSPITALS. Where other countries lower on the list, the low risk women birth at home. Study after study has proven that, when put in ratio, homebirth has significantly less newborn deaths/injuries. And I won't even get started on c-section rates.

What I see is sad, and after witnessing TONS of hospital births and home births I would never give birth in a hospital unless it was a life or death situation. Of course there are those who have fantastic hospital experiences, and YES there is a place for hospital birth, absolutely 100% I agree with that. Hospitals save lives. But don't let any one scare you, that drives me crazy!! Birth isn't scary. Hospital birth goes wrong all.the.time. It's just not publicized.

My homebirth was way cheaper than hopsital. Like 1/5 cheaper. we paid around 3,000 for it.

Good luck with your choice!
MKnaomi likes this.

Mama to Valley, Lyric
Levi 9/2009 & Mara 9/2013

My Ovulation Chart

Cycle 12 (of 16) after 2nd tri miscarriage: Soy Iso take 5

August 27th, 2013, 08:44 PM
The more I read about it and think about it, the more I really hope I'm able to give birth at home. It's funny though the generation gap in mentality about this subject. My mom and step-mom (both 58 ) have SUCH different views about it. I actually have only talked to my dad/step-mom about the home birth option, as I know my mom will feel strongly against it. My step-mom acted like it is just SO DANGEROUS! When I mentioned the midwife and the doula, they looked at me like I was some hippie... Don't really care what they think though Sure, a lot of children are born via c-section - but in my opinion, MOST of those c-sections are not absolutely, 100% necessary!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search