Family Venting

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Super Dad AKA mommy
Hi All
Just gotta write this somehwere.
Background:
Inlaws have a beach house in maine that my wife has been going to her whole life.
For the most part her parents are great people and they are super great with our daughter. Now they have their quirks but who doesn't. My wife has been steadily getting ever more aggravated with those quirks. The 2 biggest right now is FIl hatred of our dog mean while he views his dog as perfect. Neither dog or any dog for that matter is perfect.
And MIL has beening making snippy comments directed at my wife for a while now.
LAst night some cousins were over and MIL made dinner while everyone else cleared and my wife did the didshes. MIL sniped that Wife didn't clean the sink trap.

Wife was due to spend this week there and she packed up today and came home.
Mean while In laws made a veiled threat that they would close the house up and be leaving in 2 weeks and wouldn't return for daughters birthday thanksgiving and possibly xmas.

Wife said her mother called her the bad child today saying she was rude and un thankful. Now my wife is obviously miserable due to the nausea and exhaustion she is feeling and MIL is taking it as an insult to her.

Form the outside non of these issues are really that big but they are driving this family apart an I don't want to see the same thing happen to them that happened to my family.

Plus i love going to that beach house

August 26th, 2013, 12:19 PM
lilmeg's Avatar Veteran
Extended family is tough no matter how you do it. We know our family loves us, but we too have issues with both sets of parents as well. We've been living with my in-laws for four years and it was unplanned from the beginning. We help each other out a lot, but we also have many moments of strain in the relationships. I can't offer much as far as advice, but I wanted to say I'm sorry you both have to go through this, especially early on in a pregnancy.
BFP 10/23/10 -- partial molar MC
BFP 7/4/11- DD born 2/17/12 @ 37 weeks
BFP 7/20/13 Here we go again!

August 26th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry about that, me and DF both are close with our families and I understand how 'small' gripes can easily turn into something which is a big deal. Oh and I get the dog thing too (long story not for here )

Do MIL / FIL have anything going on at the minute that might make them more snipey than normal? Not that I'm excusing their behaviour in any way, just curious. Also, do they know about baby?

Either way, I hope things start looking up, neither you nor your wifey needs anything else to be worrying about apart from growing your LO

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

August 26th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Super Dad AKA mommy
The mil and fil are snowbirds and retired so there is a certain amount of boredom.
This weekend there were a lot of adults and kids around. So tensions were high.

But wife is over sensitive, MIL feels under appreciated

August 26th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
Your MIL may have been stressed and unfortunately taking it out on your wife and while that's not an excuse, it happens. I think they're going a little overboard w the not coming to visit for holidays. Also calling your wife the bad child would be hurtful in any situation! I wish there was some better advice I could give but I've learned from dealing w my own drama filled mil that you need to focus on your wife and kids. You're grown adults and can make your own decisions but stick together! Don't let them drive you guys apart because they're miserable for whatever reason!! We have since quit talking to my MIL and tho its sad, we are a lot happier not dealing w her. Hope things smooth out for you and your family!

<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search