Job

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sooo, what does everyone do? Will you go back to work after baby?

I am a SAHM for the first time ever. I haven't worked since I went on maternity leave last Oct.
I used to be in management for a cooperate preschool.

September 17th, 2013, 03:50 PM
luckygirl777's Avatar Veteran
I've been a full time student for a couple years now and am not too far away from getting my bachelor's in criminal justice. I am thinking I would like to go into victim advocacy. I was paralyzed after being shot by a guy i had been dating in high school. I had an amazingly helpful victim advocate and I feel helping other crime victims is one of my callings in life. I am starting school again full time next week and am going to go until December. I'll see how I feel at that point and decide how many classes to take or may decide to just take a break until next Summer or Fall. I am determined to get my degree completed but it will just take a bit longer but that's okay with me and my fiance doesn't mind either.
September 17th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Luckygirl, congrats on being so close to your degree, sounds like an interesting, noble profession.

How terrible that happened to you. How inspiring that you turned such a tragic event into something positive.

September 17th, 2013, 04:38 PM
luckygirl777's Avatar Veteran
Thanks Nicole!
Nicole1481 likes this.
September 17th, 2013, 05:11 PM
melissaleigh's Avatar Unashamed POASer
I'm a cost engineer for an oil and gas company. I will take 2 months off and then I will go back to work - I wish I could be a stay at home mommy but duty calls
Nicole1481 and luckygirl777 like this.
September 17th, 2013, 05:19 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I'm a journalist, and I'm currently the editor of a home decor magazine. It's a part-time job that I do mostly from home except when I am supervising photo shoots so its a really great job.

I used to work in news but its full time + evenings + weekends and I didn't want to go back to it after Oz was born.

I will go back to work after this baby, hopefully to my current job. I techincally freelance for the magazine so I am self-employed and don't quality for maternity leave but I am hoping to work out a compromise with the company as I really need a couple months off post baby but really want to keep my job.

Pinterest
Flickr
September 17th, 2013, 05:23 PM
StephanieMitchell's Avatar Super Mommy
I am a legal assistant at a large bankruptcy/foreclosure law firm. It is a very fast paced and stressful atmosphere, and to be completely honest, I cannot stand the management and the way the firm is run. I've really been looking for a good excuse to leave, so Im hoping that once the baby arrives, I will be able to stay home full time. Finances permitting!

We were going to have a baby, but we had an angel instead
Feb. 2013 at 8wks
September 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Super Mommy
I own a dog walking biz, so I really don't get any time off. I'm planning to take two weeks off from my babysitting kid that I keep two days per week, longer if I have to have a c section.

Mommy to Miles born 11/07/09.
Anxiously awaiting the arrival of baby boy Dylan due March 14th, 2014!

September 17th, 2013, 08:03 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm a commercial real estate appraiser. I'm self employed but do subcontracting work for one company. I won't qualify for mat leave, but am thinking of retiring, as this is my third child and it doesn't seem worth it financially and personally to work to pay for childcare for 3 kids with minimal left over. We'll see though.
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

September 18th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm an inspector for health and social care services. I cant really do into too much detail in an open forum but I do get to work from home a few days a week. I'm entitled to upto 12 months maternity leave, the last 12 weeks being unpaid. I'm hoping to be able to take the full 12 months and maybe go back part time - but we'll have to see what our finances allow

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

September 18th, 2013, 05:13 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
I am a real estate broker for my family's construction business. I am already part time (3 days a week) and will continue that once the baby comes. I can work from home when I need to, but I prefer to come into work...props to those who can focus at home! I don't get any paid time off since I'm pt but I can take as much time as I need. Last time I took 9 weeks. I also own some rentals and am part owner of a minority construction business so money still comes in even of I'm not working.
September 18th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Veteran
I am the Manager of Medication Procurement for one of the largest hosptials/health systems in Chicago. Basically my team is in charge of purchasing all drugs for several hospitals and all of their associated clinics. I want more than anything to stay home- as I did with my other kids, but with this being #6, it is not exactly feasible. My husband said we will make it work if that is what I want to do, but together we have $800 a month in student loans to pay off plus I have a son in college now, and we just bought a house. My husband is an accountant so if we can make it work, we will.
My dream would be to stay home for a few years and eventually work for myself in consulting... or our big dream is to throw caution to the wind and open up a wine bistro or restaurant/bar someday.
Reality: I will be staying home for the allowed 12 weeks, geting paid for only a small portion of that time. Boo.
maybethistime likes this.

Last edited by Six14; September 18th, 2013 at 05:29 AM.
September 18th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen@FirsAve View Post
I'm an inspector for health and social care services. I cant really do into too much detail in an open forum but I do get to work from home a few days a week. I'm entitled to upto 12 months maternity leave, the last 12 weeks being unpaid. I'm hoping to be able to take the full 12 months and maybe go back part time - but we'll have to see what our finances allow
You are very lucky to receive this kind of paid benefit, especially for 40 weeks post partum! I'm an American stationed in Germany and they treat moms taking maternity leave very well here. Makes me jealous a lot of countries here in Europe passed laws to help moms adjust with their new babies. In the US, you can get up to 12 weeks off, but it's leave without pay. Some people use their sick or holiday pay to help cover a portion of that time so at least they have a paycheck.

April 2013 - referred to RE due to failed reverse vasectomy

June 2013 - Hubby has TESE / Egg retreival and transfer (IVF/ICSI)

July 9, 2013 - BFP!
July 31, 2013 - 1st ultrasound, one baby bean with heartbeat!

November 7, 2013 - It's a GIRL!

September 18th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgirl2004 View Post
You are very lucky to receive this kind of paid benefit, especially for 40 weeks post partum! I'm an American stationed in Germany and they treat moms taking maternity leave very well here. Makes me jealous a lot of countries here in Europe passed laws to help moms adjust with their new babies. In the US, you can get up to 12 weeks off, but it's leave without pay. Some people use their sick or holiday pay to help cover a portion of that time so at least they have a paycheck.
Yes I am very lucky, both with my maternity leave entitlement and the NHS care we got to help us conceive. I've seen too many ladies here on JM struggle with finances when they have a medical condition they need help with.

Not all companies in the UK have such good benefits, I work for a public office so they're very good. My DF works in retail and ladies at his company get the bare minimum required by law (i'm not sure what that is exactly but it's not great)

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

September 18th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm an attorney. I plan on doing the same thing I have done for my others. I take 12 weeks and then return to work full time. I am lucky since I have my own office, etc... it is easy to pump. I also typical go for the firth year to nurse during my lunch.

September 18th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Veteran
My degree is Health Education. I work in an internal medicine office here in our little town. I don't make much here since I don't really use my degree.

I will take at least my "allowed" time.

I'd love to find something else, maybe even PT. I'm also thinking about going back to school/grad school. Not sure yet. Apparently I just can't decide what I want to be when I grow up. haha

Luckygirl- you have an interesting story! Glad you turned your tragedy into something good to help others in a similar situation.
September 18th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran
I'm a stay at home mom, I quit working a few months before I got pregnant with my first, I had planned on going back to work before I got pregnant but my husbands hours had picked up and he had gotten a few raises so we opted for me to stay home. Shortly after that he joined the military and we both feel he's gone too much and it would make an already inconsistent schedule harder on our son so I've been a stay at home mom for the last 4 going on 5 years and I'm very fortunate we've been able to manage.
September 18th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Laydii_cintah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Laydii_cintah
I'm a CNA and I plan to go back to work after the baby. I'm just not going back to the current job that I have. I'm so tired of nursing home jobs, I plan to get a job at the hospital. Better pay and better benefits.

September 18th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I currently work taking care of disabled adults in their homes. I'm not sure yet if I will go back to work afterwards. I would love to stay home, but finances may dictate otherwise. We are currently looking into buy a house and a lot of things may change financially for us in the next few months. With my current schedule we probably wouldn't have to pay much for childcare as my parents could babysit evenings, which is when I work.
September 18th, 2013, 04:06 PM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm a nurse and I hate it. I'm so exhausted when I get done with work that i'm worthless, I don't play with my daughter I just go straight to bed. I would love to be a stay at home mom but that isn't in the budget at this time. I have a plan that in 2 years we will have everything but our mortgage paid off and we will then build a new house which I will set up to do in home daycare. at that time I could probably afford to stay home but will do daycare as additional income.

6/15/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search