Maternity Leave

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HollyDogsMamma
  • 1 Post By rainbowbaby14

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2013, 11:37 AM
StephanieMitchell's Avatar Super Mommy
So, today at work I asked the "big" boss how long maternity leave was. Was it the standard 12 weeks, unpaid? He replied to me that maternity leave is only 6 weeks, unpaid.
6 weeks? really? My doctor told me that there is a 95% chance that my baby will be breach, and I will have to have a C-section. I feel like 6 weeks isn't even long enough to heal!
How long is your employers maternity leave? Am I getting mad for nothing? is 6 weeks a normal amount of time? I was really under the impression that 12 weeks was standard...

We were going to have a baby, but we had an angel instead
Feb. 2013 at 8wks
September 19th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Veteran
I think you have to go on short term disability after 6 weeks. You can get an FMLA approval for your doctor and stay out for a total of 12 weeks. However it sounds like you would be unpaid.
I get paid out whatever I have in my sick bank and vacation, then go on short term disability which my company pays for after the FMLA is approved. I will get half my salary for all time in the 12 weeks past my full salary from accrued time off.

Your employer may tell you six weeks, however you are entitled to whatever your doctor says you need if it falls under disability (postpartum does) and you have an FMLA.
September 19th, 2013, 12:35 PM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
I found this, does the business that you are employed with have more than 50 employees? and how long have you been there? I would look deeper into this if I were you.

The FMLA was intended "to balance the demands of the workplace with the needs of families."[2] The Act allows eligible employees to take up to 12 work weeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period to attend to the serious health condition of the employee, parent, spouse or child, or for pregnancy or care of a newborn child, or for adoption or foster care of a child. In order to be eligible for FMLA leave, an employee must have been at the business at least 12 months, and worked at least 1,250 hours over the past 12 months, and work at a location where the company employs 50 or more employees within 75 miles.

6/15/13
September 19th, 2013, 12:41 PM
StephanieMitchell's Avatar Super Mommy
Our firm has about 40 employees, so we don't qualify for FMLA. And dummy me didn't sign up for short term disability when I had the chance. If I were to sign up for it now, I wouldn't be covered because for pregnancy, there is a 10 month waiting period from the time you sign up until benefits are available. I'm kind of up the creek!

We were going to have a baby, but we had an angel instead
Feb. 2013 at 8wks
September 19th, 2013, 01:47 PM
melissaleigh's Avatar Unashamed POASer
I'm with you. I'm a contractor so if I'm not here I don't get paid and there is no maternity leave and no FMLA because of my contractor status. I just have to make sure there is enough in saving to cover my salary for 2 months and hope there is a project to come back to when I'm ready to come back.
September 19th, 2013, 04:12 PM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
with my DD I took 12 weeks but only had enough vacation time to cover 6 weeks, we just had to work extra hard and pick up some overtime and we saved our tax refund and used that to supplement the rest.

6/15/13
September 19th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Super Mommy
If it makes you feel any better, I don't get any maternity leave because I own my own business. I was on my computer within hours of by c-section.

Mommy to Miles born 11/07/09.
Anxiously awaiting the arrival of baby boy Dylan due March 14th, 2014!

September 20th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Veteran
Wow i feel really lucky to live in Australia. My work will give me 10 weeks paid, and i can take up to a year unpaid, and the Government will give me 18 weeks of parenting payments during that year of maternity leave. How do you ladies do it???
StephanieMitchell likes this.

September 20th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Veteran
I get 8 weeks off at 70% pay, and can take a remaining 4 week, but it is unpaid.
September 20th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I get 4 weeks paid and 8 weeks unpaid. I have a really small employer (7 employees total) and I was pregnant with my 2nd when I took this job so I just negotiated my own maternaty leave policy (no one else here is going to have any children).

September 20th, 2013, 12:32 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
I can't believe you are only entitled to 6 or even 12 weeks in the U.S. That is so ridiculous for such an otherwise progressive country. In Canada and a lot of other developed countries you are eligible for a year (I'm self employed, so I don't get one... but it is acceptable for me to take a full year off unpaid if I want to). At 6 weeks post partum, I still got winded quickly and got a pain in my incision (C-section) when I stood for too long. I also was sleeping for a max of 2 hrs at a time between feedings. I don't even understand how it would even be possible to return to work full time so quickly. I would be so delirious and useless.
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

September 20th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
There was a girl here in AK that posted asking about maternity leave. Her employer was only willing to give her 2 weeks off! And she didn't qualify for FMLA and the state only protects state employees. I honesty think 6 weeks is a good amount of time to heal but sleep deprivation is what would get me!

<3
September 24th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Mommysjb's Avatar Veteran
I will only be at my employers 9 months and do not qualify for FMLA but they will work with me as I will be taking 12 weeks off unpaid and then come back to work. They are a good company to work for. our STD only pays for 6 weeks for normal delivery and 8 weeks for c section... not that I have it of course there is a waiting period that I missed by 4 months
September 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Melissa.Anne's Avatar Veteran
I can't believe how poor the maternity leave benefits are in the States! We do get a year here in Canada - and that can be split between both parents. (I will be taking 7 months, hubby will be taking 5). The first 17 weeks HAS to be taken by the mother, and the rest can be split between parents. Most women I know take the entire year, but it just works out better for us to do it this way.
September 25th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran
I will get 8 weeks paid (STD) may have to take 1-2 unpaid but then I will have summer off (I am a teacher) so this was planned well! I will end up almost 5 months!
StephanieMitchell likes this.
September 26th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa.Anne View Post
I can't believe how poor the maternity leave benefits are in the States! We do get a year here in Canada - and that can be split between both parents. (I will be taking 7 months, hubby will be taking 5). The first 17 weeks HAS to be taken by the mother, and the rest can be split between parents. Most women I know take the entire year, but it just works out better for us to do it this way.
Yep, the U.S. is behind in this for sure. I'm stationed in Germany and see how they treat moms and moms-to-be here... so many benefits! From maternity leave to day care to everything baby related in general. It really is sad in the U.S. women are often forced to return to work way before they should because of not getting paid or they don't qualify for FMLA (if employer is too small to be required by law to offer it). I'm trying to save my sick leave and holiday leave for when the baby comes, but what if I get sick before it's born? Really frustrating.

April 2013 - referred to RE due to failed reverse vasectomy

June 2013 - Hubby has TESE / Egg retreival and transfer (IVF/ICSI)

July 9, 2013 - BFP!
July 31, 2013 - 1st ultrasound, one baby bean with heartbeat!

November 7, 2013 - It's a GIRL!

September 26th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Veteran
yes. U.S. sucks in that dept!

I've learned I can have 12 weeks with FMLA. My STD is only 6 weeks. And I can use my PPL and EIAB. If I run out of PPL/EIAB after my STD, then I can take the time without pay, but have to make payments to our insurance for my premium.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search