C-section questions

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By melissaleigh
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By melissaleigh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2013, 06:43 AM
StephanieMitchell's Avatar Super Mommy
Im sort of pulling this from another post, but Im more than likely going to need a c-section when the time comes. Im pretty nervous about it! Who has had a c-section before? What should I expect? How long did it take for you to completely heal? And do you have any advice on ways to make life easier while trying to heal and take care of the new baby simultaneously?

We were going to have a baby, but we had an angel instead
Feb. 2013 at 8wks
September 24th, 2013, 09:05 AM
melissaleigh's Avatar Unashamed POASer
Everyone is different. You will hear horror stories from some and others will say it was a breeze. Just do what the doctors and nurses tell you to do and you should be fine. The more you get up and walk afterwards the quicker you'll start to feel better. It hurts like hell to get up and move around that early but it's worth it in the end
maybethistime likes this.
September 24th, 2013, 12:32 PM
sydneyrose's Avatar Veteran
Mine was really sudden at 29 weeks.
The worst part is the shot they put into your spine.

Otherwise, you don't feel anything during the operation but pulling.
I cried because I was scared since I never had surgery before.

I have to tell you. People say its a really rough recovery and the worst part is basically not having any stomach muscles to sit up or to help you bend. You start over completely.

Depending if you keep it clean- mine never got infected.
They don't sew you up, they staple you, take the staples out and then put a liquid band aid over it. (Advice: don't put clothes on quickly. Let the adhesive dry before or your clothes will get stuck to it.)

I found the hardest part was they don't let you walk for 10 hours afterward and they don't let you see anyone when your in recovery right after for about 2 hours.

I think it's definitely a slower recovery.
You don't just jump out of bed. You'll need some help but after the first week it gets much easier.

I had twins the first time and this is my second pregnancy.
I am really noticing the surgery now more than ever.

It's a lot more painful if you have surgery while you grow.
I'm going for a VBAC. Apparently, any after this one will be easier though.

P.s. I tied my cath bag around my leg in my sweats and walked at 12 hours. When you stand up, you bleed everywhere at first so be are careful.

But you would get up and do anything to be with your baby.

September 24th, 2013, 12:46 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyrose View Post
they don't let you see anyone when your in recovery right after for about 2 hours.
I'm sure it depends on the hospital. I was stiched up and wheeled right from the OR into a room where DH and baby were waiting for me.

Biggest thing (that no one told me): Afterwards when you need to sneeze or cough, hold a pillow tightly against your belly/incision...otherwise you feel like you will burst open.

I heard so many horror stories before my c-section, but I had a wonderful experience.
melissaleigh likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

September 24th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Super Mommy
Thought I'd share my own experience:

I was pushing actively for 3 hours when we finally decided to do the C because it didn't look like my daughter was going to cooperate. Since I already had the epidural in, all they had to do was switch the medication they were giving me through the epidural line (not sure if that's the technical term).

Once they gave me the new medication, my body relaxed a lot more and I noticed that I was a lot more groggy. My muscles were so tired from pushing that it felt like my body was shaking and I was really cold. They put a sheet up so I couldn't see anything, but all I could feel was a tugging on my tummy. When my daughter came out, I told DH to go with her and that I would be fine. I remember trying to pat her head when they showed her to me, but when I couldn't really lift my arm high enough, it would just fall back on the table. That freaked DH out. I think he was a lot more scared than I was and he later told me he appreciated that I told him what to do because he was worried about leaving me alone but he also knew I'd want him to stay with DD.

After another 30 min or so I was brought into the recovery room and a while after they brought DD and DH in and I was able to try BF for the first time. I was really exhausted, but I would've expected to be even if I hadn't had a C.

My recovery went really well, actually. I didn't need any pain meds, and the stitches didn't hurt or anything. I remember not being able to eat solid foods for 24 hrs after and not being able to use the stairs more than 2x a day (once to go up and once to go down) for the first 6 weeks after the delivery so that I wouldn't tear the stitches. I don't think I got staples and I had specifically asked my OB to make the incision so that I could do a VBAC if we had another. I think after the first 6 weeks I was pretty much back to normal. I wasn't doing any crunches for a while, but I was able to move around and get things done. In terms of taking care of my daughter that was really only hardest the first 6 weeks because I couldn't use the stairs in our house. DH had to take extra time off to help me with her.

Hope that helps! It sounds a lot scarier than it was while it was happening (for me anyway). I was so out of it during the surgery etc and was too excited about meeting my DD to really be scared or nervous.
#2 on the way!

September 24th, 2013, 12:51 PM
sydneyrose's Avatar Veteran
That's the recovery room... I mean like where all your family can come in and such.

September 24th, 2013, 12:54 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyrose View Post
That's the recovery room... I mean like where all your family can come in and such.
Yeah...I just didn't want the OP to think she couldn't see DH or baby for that whole time, cause that would freak me out

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

September 24th, 2013, 01:57 PM
melissaleigh's Avatar Unashamed POASer
Pillow - yes - that is important for the ride home as well!! Hold that pillow against your tummy it will help with the bumps
KMH likes this.
September 25th, 2013, 07:09 AM
StephanieMitchell's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for all the insight! I'm not really so nervous for the surgery, its the recovery and the amount of pain afterwards that has me worried (I'm a big baby!! lol). DH is planning on taking some time off of work after the baby arrives, so I know having him home will help out a lot.
I'm also worried that I wont be healed after 6 weeks when my maternity leave expires. I'm actually starting to consider just quitting my job after maternity leave, and crossing my fingers that we can make it on DH pay checks. That way I have plenty of time to heal, and I don't have to send my 1 1/2 month old baby to daycare. I wish I lived closer to my family, then I wouldn't even have to worry about that!!

We were going to have a baby, but we had an angel instead
Feb. 2013 at 8wks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search