Daycare?

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Alaska Baby14

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2013, 06:31 AM
StephanieMitchell's Avatar Super Mommy
How much does daycare cost for infants in your area? I've been doing a little research and it seems like the average for Orlando, FL is $200-$220 a week. I'm just wondering how much of a variance there is for different areas.

We were going to have a baby, but we had an angel instead
Feb. 2013 at 8wks
September 25th, 2013, 06:33 AM
melissaleigh's Avatar Unashamed POASer
300 week Here in Houston
September 25th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There is a range here (but you tend to get what you pay for). Our school is at the higher end at it is $250/week, but since we have multiple children there we get a little break. Ours also includes breakfast lunch and 2 snacks and we can pick up and drop off any time between 6 am and 6 30 pm (others add on for early or late care). Last year we paid for 20k for preschool for or first 2. When this one starts our oldest will start Kindergarten, but here you have to pay even for public school full day kindergarten. Between the three kids we figure we will be around $550/week for childcare/school. I am still getting over sticker shock.

September 25th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
Wow!! I have no idea as far as here but day care is so crazy expensive!! Which is part of he reason I'm a SAHM. You figure at $250/ week that's $1000/ month from ONE kid!! If that daycare has 5 kids that's $5000/ month! Heck! That makes me want to open a daycare!! I don't know how a single mom could do it!! Just plain craziness!!

<3
September 25th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Veteran
Daycare in this town will NOT be an option for us. They have been raided several times for many different violations and by INS for illegal immigrants.

But, the cost here in our little town for infants is $125/wk.

Although, we are planning on moving to a suburb closer to OKC after school is out next summer. I'm not sure what their prices are. I'll do some research...
September 25th, 2013, 07:22 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
About $60 a day and long waiting lists. I ended up not going back to my full-time job partly because after day care and gas I'd barely be bringing home any money.

Pinterest
Flickr
September 25th, 2013, 09:06 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
Its about $875 a month
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

September 26th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Veteran
I appreciate this post. I stayed home with all of my other children and never even had a babysitter once. This time, it is not an option - I just graduated college a year ago and my husband just got his masters so we have a ton of student loans and one child in college...
Anyway, I cannot decide if I will do a daycare, home daycare or nanny. I worked in the infant room at a daycare when my first son was born, and there were so many issues of neglect or abuse that I reported and then was told to shut up or get out. When an assistant picked up a one-year old by the arm and flung her into a playpen from 6 feet back, I told the parents directly and they immediately hired me as their nanny. I worked for them for two years and then a second family for two+. I was paid (this was 1996-2001) 250 a week for the first job and $350 a week for the second for two children each. I loved the job and loved the kids and it was an amazing experience.
Now I cannot decide what to do! I have enlisted my MIL for 1-2 days a week, so I am thinking nanny or a local home daycare with a SAHM. I just have major trust issues. Our budget is $300 or less a week. That will be very difficult to manage though. I agree you get what you pay for.
In my heart, I know that I will want to quit working but we truly cannot afford it. It may be a good time for me to start my own business - maybe a home daycare myself. I would take a big cut in pay, but I know I would love it. I jsut worked so hard to excel in my career at this point in my life and I am torn!
September 26th, 2013, 09:21 AM
StephanieMitchell's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six14 View Post
I appreciate this post. I stayed home with all of my other children and never even had a babysitter once. This time, it is not an option - I just graduated college a year ago and my husband just got his masters so we have a ton of student loans and one child in college...
Anyway, I cannot decide if I will do a daycare, home daycare or nanny. I worked in the infant room at a daycare when my first son was born, and there were so many issues of neglect or abuse that I reported and then was told to shut up or get out. When an assistant picked up a one-year old by the arm and flung her into a playpen from 6 feet back, I told the parents directly and they immediately hired me as their nanny. I worked for them for two years and then a second family for two+. I was paid (this was 1996-2001) 250 a week for the first job and $350 a week for the second for two children each. I loved the job and loved the kids and it was an amazing experience.
Now I cannot decide what to do! I have enlisted my MIL for 1-2 days a week, so I am thinking nanny or a local home daycare with a SAHM. I just have major trust issues. Our budget is $300 or less a week. That will be very difficult to manage though. I agree you get what you pay for.
In my heart, I know that I will want to quit working but we truly cannot afford it. It may be a good time for me to start my own business - maybe a home daycare myself. I would take a big cut in pay, but I know I would love it. I jsut worked so hard to excel in my career at this point in my life and I am torn!
I have trust issues as well. I hear on the news all the time about daycare workers being arrested for abuse, drug/alcohol use on the job and even molestation. And we pay hundreds of dollars a week to let these people care for our children! Not that all daycare centers are like this, but how would you ever really know for sure if your child is actually being cared for in an appropriate manner?
I'm really hoping that DH and I will be financially able to survive on his salary alone, because I would be such a nervous wreck sending my baby off for a stranger to basically raise. I live too far from any family to have them watch the baby during the day, so staying home full time, or daycare are my only options.

We were going to have a baby, but we had an angel instead
Feb. 2013 at 8wks
September 26th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I don't know how much daycares charge, but I've heard such terrifying stories about them from so many people. Death, neglect, physical/verbal abuse, duct taping babies to the floor, broken bones, and of course molestation. . . I think I would drive myself insane with worry if I ever put a child in one of them.
I think the best option is to get an at home baby-sitter or nanny, because then you can install cams throughout the house without the sitter knowing and hopefully catch any abuse or other upsetting behaviours.
September 26th, 2013, 11:02 AM
MandyEllen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My sister told me that when her son was in daycare as an infant (he's now 3) it was $5.50/hour. She's not sure if they gave her a little discount because she had 2 other children in the same daycare in the older classes though. I'm looking into finding a part-time job closer to home. If I could just bring in enough money for groceries and "other" expenses, we'd be okay.
7/12/13 - 16 dpo beta=825
7/19/13 - 23 dpo beta=18,870
7/26/13 - 30 dpo beta=72,091

September 26th, 2013, 03:56 PM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
I use an in home daycare, which cost less around here and it's $25/day for full time and we pay $30/day for part time since I only work 3 days a week seems really cheap compared to everyone else, but our wages are much lower here compared to the rest of the country.

6/15/13
September 27th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know the preschool we use has (amoung other things) has video cameras in the class so we can look in any time, which especially early on made me more comfortable. I also would drop by at misc. times just so I would be comfortable. But for the most part I have been supper happy with their school. They have a great schedule and curiculum. My kids have had computers in their room since they have been 2. Starting from infacy they get sign language, spanish, etc... I also like them being around a diverse group of kids. I think for us it would be hard to find a home daycare that offered those things.

September 27th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Veteran
Since we're thinking about moving, I called a couple schools in that area. These are more private schools, so I know they will be a tad more expensive but worth it in the end due to the education they learn. DS would only be an after-schooler and summer programmer. haha

They're around $1100/mo for an infant. School agers are about $350 for after school, more during the summer for their explorations/field trips/etc.

DH, 29
DSS, 8

2 Furbabies

EDD: 3/3/14

TEAM GREEN!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search