Names

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mrs. D
  • 1 Post By Mrs. D

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
These are the names I like so far. I would like to know which names have positive associations with you all, which seem too weird, which are unique, which stand out, which you like, and so on.

For a girl:

Lorelei
Laura
Kimberly

For a boy:

Micah
Ransom
Noah

And DS wants to name the baby "Ginger Ale" regardless of gender. lol But DH is open to "Ginger" for a girl.
September 25th, 2013, 04:11 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
My favourite is Micah
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

September 25th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
I like Lorelei for a girl and Micah or Noah for a boy. Not a real big fan of ransom. But that's just my opinion. Ransom to me just seems negative. Just cause of what it makes me think of...

<3

Last edited by Alaska Baby14; September 25th, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
September 25th, 2013, 06:08 PM
luckygirl777's Avatar Veteran
I like all of your girl names but I like Laura the best probably because it is my middle name and was my great grandmother's name. I like kimberly or kimber for short too. I don't care for the name Ransom that much, it just makes me think of someone being held captive and the captor demanding ransom. I do like Micah and Ginger as well.
September 25th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Super Dad AKA mommy
We love Lorelei well its my 3 y/o name (dont let that disuade you) We call her Rory mostly.
My only negative about it is always spelling it for people

September 25th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Thank you all for your opinions so far.

I like Lorelei because it sounds beautiful and mysterious. But I don't care much for the meaning (siren that lures fishermen towards rocks and death with her song)

The reason I like Ransom is because of the Biblical meaning of the word. In Bible times a ransom was not something an innocent party paid to get back something that was stolen from them. It worked like this. If you were a criminal, you, or someone on your behalf, could pay a sum of money which the person wronged could choose to accept in lieu of the original punishment (including imprisonment or death).
When Jesus came and was sacrificed on the cross for our sins, he was the ransom for the world. He paid the price to set us free. And that is the Ransom after which we might name our son.

But I do understand that most people don't know this. Most people would hear ransom and think of a hostage situation.
Alaska Baby14 likes this.
September 25th, 2013, 09:00 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
I love a name with a good meaning, and that's a great meaning. Just a thought, maybe you could see what translations there are of the original meaning of ransom and see what you get for names and thereby avoid any negative emotions/comparisons it might evoke in life for the child.
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

September 25th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Melissa.Anne's Avatar Veteran
I love Laura, it's my moms name.
Re: ransom, your explanation makes perfect sense, and it is very meaningful to you. However, most people wouldn't know that meaning and your son would have to explain the biblical meaning quite often when introducing himself to people. Not sure if you consider that a good or a bad thing, but just something to consider.
September 25th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. D View Post
For a girl:

Lorelei
Laura
Kimberly

For a boy:

Micah
Ransom
Noah

And DS wants to name the baby "Ginger Ale" regardless of gender. lol But DH is open to "Ginger" for a girl.
I think I like Ginger the best. Then Lorelei. And I like Micah best for a boy .

September 26th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran
My stepdaughter wants to name the baby Toby Juan Kenobi. Cracked me up!
I love all your choices except Ransom. I do like the biblical reference, but it just makes me remember the movie Ransom and how scary it was when the child was abducted and the Mom's anguish. Just my personal opinion.
September 26th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Veteran
I like Lorelei and Noah best.

I concur with the negative conotation re: Ransom.

I kinda like Ginger. LOL @ your DS. Our DS came up with a list of his friends and Disney channel characters. (He's 8.)
September 27th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I was kinda wondering if Ransom would sound that way to everyone. Since I've been a Christian for so long and immersed in the Biblical teachings about the sacrifice for sin, the first thing I think of when I hear "ransom" is more akin to "mercy, forgiveness, and salvation from certain death".

In my mind, the idea of paying a criminal, or a kidnapping, or a hostage situation, is only a secondary or alternative definition. Which explains why, when I hear the name, I think "Wow, that's beautiful!" instead of "You named your kid WHAT?" lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search