What Baby Items Could You Manage Without?

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Kitcat10126's Avatar Veteran
Hi ladies! Baby shower registry is just around the corner! I am a first timer, and I'm curious: what items do you think are unnecessary/what did you not really use with your children? I have NOTHING for baby and I don't want my home flooded with totally useless items. Maybe as well: what are some products that you swear by?
September 28th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
I never bought the hand mits, rarely used a changing table (all the way upstairs), stopped using a baby bath at 10 weeks, bassinet/ co sleeper. I was in so much pain he just came to my bed. receiving blankets - they wash to look so faded and pilly and aren't big enough. I didn't see the need for a convertible crib, I knew my next kid would be in it, so I wanted my first to move to a regular bed. Crib bedding ban be pretty useless. You can't see our bed skirt at all, I used a bumper some (I know shame on me), and the comforters are so thick and bulky, he still won't use it now at two. Diaper pails - I can never see the point of them. They eventually stink so bad.

My must haves are Aden and Anais swaddle blankets, my boppy and pump (even though he never took bottles), my high chair I loved, moby wrap, ergo carrier, infant car seat, car seat mirror, glow sea horse (still uses it), lullaby cd's, video monitor, and my itzbeen - loved that thing when he was a baby.

September 28th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I never bought the hand mits, rarely used a changing table (all the way upstairs), stopped using a baby bath at 10 weeks, bassinet/ co sleeper. I was in so much pain he just came to my bed. receiving blankets - they wash to look so faded and pilly and aren't big enough. I didn't see the need for a convertible crib, I knew my next kid would be in it, so I wanted my first to move to a regular bed. Crib bedding ban be pretty useless. You can't see our bed skirt at all, I used a bumper some (I know shame on me), and the comforters are so thick and bulky, he still won't use it now at two. Diaper pails - I can never see the point of them. They eventually stink so bad.

My must haves are Aden and Anais swaddle blankets, my boppy and pump (even though he never took bottles), my high chair I loved, moby wrap, ergo carrier, infant car seat, car seat mirror, glow sea horse (still uses it), lullaby cd's, video monitor, and my itzbeen - loved that thing when he was a baby.

September 28th, 2013, 05:16 PM
madis-mama17's Avatar Veteran
My Must haves are: bopy pillow, bumbo chair, receiving blankets, socks, bump,rocker bouncer, swing....I'm sure there it's more but that's all I can think pug at the moment

Not so much are: hats, hand mittens, baby bath, baby sling (carry baby around house with), swaddle blanket (my dd hated them)....that's all for now
September 28th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Veteran
This is great! Please keep them coming ladies. So helpful for us FTMs!
September 28th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Mommysjb's Avatar Veteran
Yes I would like to know this stuff also, They hubby and i are gonna go walk around babys r us here in the next few weeks so we can start a wish list.... are there any brands of items you love or hate?

I have seen those new tub sealers to make the tub much smaller to save water and also to give more support for your kid in the bath... has anyone used one of these?
September 28th, 2013, 06:03 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
Diaper pails. I've tried lots of them and all ate IMO just a waste and even the diaper genie ended up stinking.
Crib bedding sets, the comforter never gets used and crib bumpers are not safe IMO. That leaves a sheets and skirt that you need. Diaper stackers, never used. Crib mobiles never really use much.
What my kids DID like was those little musical aquariums things for the side of the crib.

Hmm let's see, wipe warmer never used. Fancy bath tubs? Nope don't like them. I like the promo euro bath. Simple but works great and doesn't have that stupid bump for baby to slip over.

Oh and pack n plays. Never use them they just become a clutter collect all in my house.
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"

Last edited by HeatherLyn429; September 28th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
September 28th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Why do women swear by the Boppy instead of using regular pillows? As a FTM it's something I don't understand (not demeaning those who do, I'm just curious if there is an advantage to it

Last edited by Kitcat10126; September 28th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
September 28th, 2013, 07:30 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitcat10126 View Post
Why do women swear by the Boppy instead of using regular pillows? As a FTM it's something I don't understand
A regular pillow would work just fine. Some use a boppy to sit the baby up on the floor, but I never used mine that way.
September 28th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Super Mommy
Must haves-
Boppy, halo sleep sacks, swing, carseat, stroller, diapers, moby wrap, nursing pads, and some sleepers.

Mommy to Miles born 11/07/09.
Anxiously awaiting the arrival of baby boy Dylan due March 14th, 2014!

September 28th, 2013, 08:02 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
My musthaves: nursing pads, breastfeeding pillow, breastpump (it helped with my supply), baby wrap, something musical in babies crib (aquarium), Gentian violet (for thrush), cabbage leaves (help with sore breasts from nursing), nipple cream, swaddle blankets.
My Did Not Use: diaper genie, wipe warmer, sling (couldn't find a comfortable position for baby), soother, baby comforter & crib bumper
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

September 28th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Wow mommies! Thank you for all your wisdom! I like a lot of what I'm seeing because I do plan on bf and baby wearing (fiancé can not WAIT to baby wear since I "get to wear it for 9 months!" This mommy is okay with that!!
September 28th, 2013, 09:47 PM
For me the hoppy stayed on me because of the shape and a pillow always slid out. At least when he was little. Also it was more firm and tick so it raised him higher then a pillow giving me better position. Just a pillow and he would slide off easier. As he got bigger I used a pillow too but I love my nippy and will get a second one this time. I even took it for nursing in the car the first month.

Boppy not nippy

September 28th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
For a baby bath, I got one of those mesh seats that was like $15, used it for a few months. But I definitely think an expensive tub is pointless. I have a wipe warmer and still use it. It's probably not necessary but we just buy the bags of wipes and keep refilling it. I had a crib but she didn't use it til she was 5 months so it was at the bottom of my to get list. The mobile for the crib was pointless and those expensive crib sets are pointless. I never got one, just bought a crib sheet and bumpers. We have a trash can w a lid because it does help contain the smell. We have a changing table and still use it. It's convenient for us. It has drawers so we keep diapers in the top drawer and clothes in the others. I have a boppy and I used it for BF. I like the way it hugs my body and gave my arms support. I then used it to lay her on. She still uses it to lay on when she gets a bottle. Cloths to clean spit up messes are a must!!! I liked having a swing for the living room and a rock n play for our bedroom. I do think a pump, even if cheap, is great if you're going to bf. There's going to be times baby isn't hungry and you feel like you're going to explode.. And it HURTS!!!

There are SOOOO many things that are unnecessary. Many things comes down to convenience or oh that looks neat. I would suggest a thermometer that reads by forehead. I got one for $20. Kayla hates that thing in her armpit. I like the sun shields for car windows.. And again, when she was a baby she was either in her swing, bouncer or rock n play.. If not in our arms. ALWAYS a spit rag close by. I never got the hand mits either. I also never filed her nails.. I've always used the baby clippers. But all they do is sleep eat and poop. As babies so there's really not much you NEED

<3

Last edited by Alaska Baby14; September 28th, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
September 28th, 2013, 11:27 PM
2014 Offshoremama78's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Things I never used and ended up trashing cause I didn't
were the wipe warmer, paci wipes (just ended up using a
baby wipe or dash of bottled water if got dropped.. UUUH,
genie diaper pail, I used mits for like 2-3 weeks, then tossed them,
just as easy to put socks over the hands(cheeper that way), baby towels..

MUST Haves!!
I made receiving blankets out of flannel so they were bigger and could wrap
a baby longer.
Bottle brushes, Baby washcloths, 2-3 big bath towels ( sewed half a
wash cloth to the middle to make a hood)
Boppy(great support after c/s or labor, and great for belly time/ sit time for
baby)
PUMP!!! (helped increase milk supply)
Swing,
mobile
music soother/light projector
Sling, carrier, wrap(life saver while shopping, cooking, cleaning)
Floor mat, be it a colorful baby comforter or a learn and play mat (tummy time)
baby bath (I had 2)
Summer Infant Mother's Touch Deluxe Baby Bather

Leachco Safer Bather Infant Bath Pad, Blue Fish

If I think of more for either list I will add

My Ovulation Chart

Soy Iso Believer
ACM conceived with Soy Iso On 04/04/13
Currently (10/2014) TTC With SI, SMEP, BBT, CM, CP, and OPK

Alexander Cameron Murphy
02/27/2014 - 02/27/2014
September 28th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Veteran
Dumb question from FTM? A lot of you said you did not use the hand mitts. What are they supposed to be for? The baby's hands?
September 29th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazminhumboldt View Post
Dumb question from FTM? A lot of you said you did not use the hand mitts. What are they supposed to be for? The baby's hands?
FTM here too but yeah I think they're to stop baby scratching their face as they can have sharp fingernails. I like the idea of using socks instead though!

This is all really great information, thanks ladies.

Thank you Vicki for my amazing siggie!

September 29th, 2013, 05:25 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
Another boppy lover here. I like how snug it feels around me. Pillows slip around and get flat. Plus I use it later for belly time on the floor

My breastfeeding tool kit I make sure I have: boppy, good pump, breast pads, nipple cream, hot/cold packs (those things were great when I had mastitis), mothers milk tea and oatmeal ( boosts supply if needed. I liked having that one hand for when my baby was going through a growth spurt)
Good nursing bras I like the sleep bras for nursing at motherhood maternity.
I don't buy mittens because my newborns live in gowns and those have fold over hand mits. So convienent with diaper changing, especially in the middle of the night and for breastfed babies cause they poop a LOT

I also have lots of burp rags-- I buy the big packages of the white prefold cloth diapers and wash them a few times to soften them up and use those. Works great and way cheaper than buying a bunch of cute printed 3 packs of burp rags they're just going to spit up on

Changing table is a must I do use that.

ts and lots of socks! I promise no matter what you do, you will lose bunches of them!
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"

Last edited by HeatherLyn429; September 29th, 2013 at 05:30 AM.
September 29th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I never used or bought mits but my son also never scratched his face. SO I might have considered them if he was scratching himself. Or just the fold over sleeves on newborn clothes. Oh wait he was 9 pounds at birth, rarely used newborn.

And I personally don't like gowns. I know many do. Same goes for the zipper sleepers, not my preference when they are little. The zipper always bunched up in his face and drove me batty. Not to mention i had to completely undress him to get to the diaper but with snaps I could do just the bottom

September 29th, 2013, 09:22 AM
madis-mama17's Avatar Veteran
I loved my boppy because it help my DD in the perfect position so I can have my hands free if I needed them. And she loved to sit up and it held her nice and snug so she never tipped over! It also helped her get used to tummy time. Basically My boppy was my third hand you always need as a mom haha

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search