Adenoma or Fibroid

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Six14

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2013, 10:15 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
So when we began this round of IVF on my second scan my RE found a mass in my uterus. He didn't rush to cancel the cycle, but sent me for a pelvic MRI. He said it was likely one of two things. A fibroid or Adenoma. If a fibroid he would prefer I have it surgically removed before proceeding. This would delay the cycle by 6 months, but better chances of baby sticking. So he got the results and said it was an adenoma not a fibroid and that we could continue on with this cycle. I was stoked.

Until my next ultrasound after getting pregnant. It had doubled in size. It wasn't huge, but indeed growing.

FF to me seeing my OB. That day I had filled the paperwork out to transfer my records to him. He didn't think it was an adenoma and that it was a fibroid. But I know my RE, he wouldn't have done the procedure if it was something that could be fixed. He told me a hysterectomy was the only fix for an adenoma.

Anyway, so at this point I don't know what this thing is, or what to make of it. I need info and its driving me batty thinking about it. Will it cause preterm labor? Raise my chances of a c-section? Cause me to be on bedrest? I have no idea.

I see my OB Monday, and I want to call tomorrow and mention ahead of time I have questions to ensure he is able to look over those records before I go in. He is a GREAT OB, but that doesn't mean he knows about adenomas. If he says its a fibroid I don't know what to think. I have researched on the internet and can't seem to find anything about adenomas in the uterus. NO clue.

SO yeah thats whats weighing heavy on my mind right now. I just want answers.

This is the most clairifying info I have found.
Quote:
What is adenomyosis?
Adenomyosis is the growth of uterine tissue from one particular layer of the uterus (the endometrial glands) into the "wrong" layer (the muscle layer, called the myometrium). It is a benign condition, but it can enlarge the uterus presenting as a growth. Adenomyosis is similar to endometriosis, which is the growth of cells similar to those that form the inside of the uterus (endometrial cells), in a location outside of the uterus. In adenomyosis, the abnormal growth of endometrial cells occurs within the muscular layer of the uterus.

The cause of adenomyosis is not well understood. Some researchers believe that previous surgeries on the uterus (including Cesarean births) can cause the endometrial (uterine lining) cells to spread and grow in an abnormal location (the muscular layer of the uterine wall). Another possibility is that adenomyosis arises from tissues in the uterine wall itself that may have been deposited there during development of the uterus.

Adenomyosis is more common after childbirth.

Last edited by Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy; October 3rd, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
October 3rd, 2013, 10:28 PM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
Goodness! I have no idea! But whatever it is I hope it doesn't cause any issues!!!! I know when my sister had a c section w her last they ended up removing some large mass but I don't know what it was or if it was in her uterus! I know it didn't cause any complications besides being huge and heavy!! I don't think a phone call giving your OB a heads up would hurt... Would definitely give em time to review!!

<3
October 4th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Veteran
Sounds like a lot to think about!
I googled it and it sounds like it can cause a slightly increased risk of bleeding in the first 3 months, increased risk of placenta separation, need for c-section and breech birth.
Here is a link with some other people who went through this: Pregnant with Adenomyosis - BabyCenter
October 4th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Veteran
I'm not familiar with it, but I hope you get some answers and all goes well!

DH, 29
DSS, 8

2 Furbabies

EDD: 3/3/14

TEAM GREEN!
October 4th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks ladies. I did read last night about the placental issues. Ill hopefully get some info on Tuesday. I hope at least. I just want a natural birth.

October 4th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck Tuesday, keep is posted.

October 4th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Will do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search