Very Opinionated Husband

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2013, 03:26 PM
jes81878's Avatar Jennifer
Does anyone else have an overly opinionated husband/SO? We can't seem to agree on the babies' names. We have a few picked out for the boy, but we are way off when it comes to a girls name. All the names I like (Paisley, Elle, and sweet, cute names) he says they sound like a stripper's name. He wants an old, classical name (Isabella, Audry) because she will be his princess and needs a princess name. The names is not the only thing we can't agree on...I feel like killing him most times,lol...
Six14 likes this.
My Son 13
Husband no bio/children (but the best father ever to my two boys)
TTC for 4 years
IVF in June 2013 (BFP)
1st Beta (10dp5dt) #761

Boy/Girl Twins

October 16th, 2013, 03:49 PM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
you have lots of time to decide this. each of you make a list of girl names and don't talk about it for a while and then talk about it later on. you don't have to decide this right now and maybe through a cooling off period you will come across a name that both of you love.

I love the name malia but my husband hates it, I haven't given up on it but we were watching a movie one night and heard another name that we both like, sometimes names just pop out of nowhere and surprise you.
madis-mama17 and jes81878 like this.

6/15/13
October 16th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DH is like this sometimes. Most frustrating thing is that he will be like "oh I don't care" until I come up with something and then it's "I don't like it because..." He's pretty awesome, but very opinionated. It takes a lot of work to figure things out sometimes. It's frustrating. I think both of you making a list and comparing them is a good idea.
jes81878 likes this.
October 16th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
Maybe you could each make a list of ten to fifteen girls names. Then take turns crossing out names from each other's lists. When you get down to four names, two of yours and two of his, you can talk about them and maybe come to an agreement. They will be the names you're both most open to.
jes81878 likes this.

October 16th, 2013, 05:17 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Men! SO is awful for names, it took us ages to agree last time. I am dreading having another boy because I don't know how we'll come up with anything.

As for opinionated about other things.. he's opinionated about boundaries, rules, how to raise our kids, but for many things he follows my lead. He never had a thing to say one way or another about me breastfeeding or how long I plan to do it, nor did he ever voice any opinions about my birthing choices or I guess anything generally to do with pregnancy. He respects that my body is my body.
jes81878 likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
October 16th, 2013, 06:59 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
My husband are on waaaay different sides when it comes to girls names. I literally hate every girl name he comes up with, but I'm trying to pretend some of them are okay so I don't totally offend him. He doesn't like my girl names either. As for boy names, he would like to name a boy after his favourite hockey player which is soooo not happening. We went through this last time I was pregnant with a boy and I barely talked him out of it.
He's actually quite unopinionated about this pregnancy. Kind of annoying that he seems so indifferent about most everything this time around. He only says names he likes if I beg him
jes81878 likes this.
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

October 16th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I love my husband, and I'm glad he is so involved in this pregnancy. We just have very different thoughts and ideas and will have to learn how to compromise.

maybethistime...I can loan you my husband to give you his opinion,lol.
maybethistime likes this.
My Son 13
TTC for 4 years
IVF in June 2013 (BFP)
1st Beta (10dp5dt) #761

Boy/Girl Twins

October 16th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Veteran
when it comes to most things, my fiance will say, "it's whatever you want" but he was very opinionated when it came to names..i wanted to strangle him because it seemed like every name I like he hated!!
October 16th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Melissa.Anne's Avatar Veteran
What is it with men and "stripper names"?? I had so many names vetoed for that reason, like where are all these strippers you know named Natalie???

Thankfully we've pretty much settled on Anna... I don't think we'll agree on anything else, as DH's next favourite names are Esther and Teresa
October 16th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa.Anne View Post
What is it with men and "stripper names"?? I had so many names vetoed for that reason, like where are all these strippers you know named Natalie???

Thankfully we've pretty much settled on Anna... I don't think we'll agree on anything else, as DH's next favourite names are Esther and Teresa
Natalie is a stripper name?!?!! That's MY name! lol I have never heard of it being a stripper name. I thought that stripper names were names like Candy, or Sparkle, or Kiki, or Cherry.
madis-mama17 and Six14 like this.

October 16th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Melissa.Anne's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. D View Post
Natalie is a stripper name?!?!! That's MY name! lol I have never heard of it being a stripper name. I thought that stripper names were names like Candy, or Sparkle, or Kiki, or Cherry.
Hahah it's definitely NOT a stripper name.... I think that is just his way of saying no to any girl name he doesn't like . I love the name Natalie... And wish I could name my daughter that!
Mrs. D likes this.
October 17th, 2013, 05:47 AM
My husband would say Natalie is a stripper name too. I think anything that ends with Y or IE is a stripper name to him, but I think a name with a Y or IE is sweet and cute. If there is a name that I like (and of course, he hates it), and I ask him to help come up with a middle name...he will always say BUTT for the middle name.

We also don't see eye to eye on clothing, nursery, and other things. He hates animal prints, and I find some of them quite cute. I don't care to buy anything used that looks nice and can be washed and sanitized, but he wants everything new. We are far apart on agreeing on a nursery too. We has picked out two cribs that are $599 each, and I told him that we are not spending that kind of money on a crib....especially, when we will need two. I'm the more logical one when it comes to spending, and he doesn't care how much it cost...as long as he likes it.
Six14 likes this.
My Son 13
TTC for 4 years
IVF in June 2013 (BFP)
1st Beta (10dp5dt) #761

Boy/Girl Twins

October 17th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Veteran
We took a methodical, systematic approach...I made a spreadsheet with all the names, and we each gave a 1-5 score for the names we likes/didn't like. I kept the highest rated. We started with about 12 names. We included any names that are family traditions, even if we don't like them (Lee is a family name on both sides of our family...), then we went through and combined all the top rated to see how first/middle names sound together. We went through and looked at the pros and cons of each name (check out Baby Names | Baby Name Meanings | Baby Boy Names, Baby Girl Names | BabyNamesWorld ) - we looked at possible nicknames, meaning of names, and if baby would be teased because it sounded like something... then we thought of how it would fit with the other kids names. All of our boys names end in N. My daughters names end in a vowel. Then we asked the kids and parents, and they hated our choices and we told them too bad.
jes81878 likes this.
October 17th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Veteran
Oh and my husband is the one who likes all the "stripper" names...which I vetoed. I prefer boyish names for my daughters. My biological daughter is Rylee Payton, and the baby (if a girl) will be Bradlee Harper. Bradlee is a combination of all the other kids names Brendan, Ryan, Alyssa, Devin and Rylee
madis-mama17 and jes81878 like this.
October 17th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Veteran
My fiance and I sat down and we started with boys names and each listed all the boys names we likes, then all the girls names. We kept the ones that were the same then rated the rest and got rid of any lower than a 4. Then went back through it and said it with his last name and got rid of any that sounded really bad. We finally settled on Olivia Marie for a girl and Vincent (haven't figured a middle name yet) for a boy, unless the baby is born on the 11th it will be John Thomas if it's a boy.
jes81878 likes this.
October 17th, 2013, 06:51 AM
sydneyrose's Avatar Veteran
We couldn't agree on any girl name. So we chose to (if it's a girl) name her after people in our family since it'd be more meaningful.

Just an idea if you guys still can't decide when time comes.
jes81878 likes this.

October 17th, 2013, 07:16 AM
He is really wanting Isabella Marie or Isabella Rose...that would be his 1st choice. I don't dislike that name personally, but there are so many girls with the name Isabella is my son's school. I would like something different. If I could have my pick, I love Paisley Grace, but I know that Paisley is out. Grace, Anna, Olivia are some that we both like. My boys don't like any of those, and somehow they came up with the name Sophia last night. My husband and I both like the name, but we don't love it. I'm thinking Sophia Grace might be something we go with...if we can't agree on anything else. We have Landon Jace for a boy...if we don't change our minds. Both of our mom's are wanting matching names for the babies. My mom wants James and Jamie, and his mom wants Victor and Victoria.
My Son 13
TTC for 4 years
IVF in June 2013 (BFP)
1st Beta (10dp5dt) #761

Boy/Girl Twins

October 17th, 2013, 07:31 AM
StephanieMitchell's Avatar Super Mommy
My husband and I have had the hardest time picking names. I took me a solid 6 months (we've talked about names before I was ever pregnant) to convince him that there is NO way our son will be named Romeo or Prince. Where did he even come up with these names? lol
He would say "All the little girls would swoon over him with that name"
And he never really helped figure out what girls names he likes, he would only tell me that every name I came up with was terrible. The only girls name we agreed on is Lily Elizabeth. And the longer I think about it, the less I like Lily - not because I don't like the name- but because we found out that DH's uncles fiancé has a granddaughter named Lily, but I know I will never get him to agree on another name, so it might just stick.

Ugh and don't even get him started on the breastfeeding/formula feeding debate. We have different opinions on that too and he just wont give in! lol
I really am glad that he is so involved, but its so frustrating sometimes!
jes81878 likes this.

We were going to have a baby, but we had an angel instead
Feb. 2013 at 8wks
October 17th, 2013, 08:26 AM
MandyEllen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jenn...We have a hard time agreeing on names as well. I'm pretty sure that if we have a girl, we'll name her Greenlee. His mom passed away in 1996 and her middle name was Louise, so I suggested Greenlee Louise, but he's not sold on using that as a middle name. Thank goodness we agree on the first name!!!

My DH would listen to Howard Stern and come home with whatever stripper was on there that day and say he liked her name!

As for boy's names...well, his favorite is Huckleberry. He likes Bodhi, but our last name starts with a J & I don't want BJ as initials. We both like Keegan. Nothing is really 100% though as far as a boy.
jes81878 likes this.
7/12/13 - 16 dpo beta=825
7/19/13 - 23 dpo beta=18,870
7/26/13 - 30 dpo beta=72,091

October 17th, 2013, 08:29 AM
My husband has opinions on everything, but he doesn't push when it comes to my body. He is all for breastfeeding and would prefer me to take DHA supplements, but he is so over protective and treats me like I'm fragile. Since we found out I was pregnant, I have not been able to cut grass, carry the clothes basket up and down the steps, and he has been the one cleaning the showers and tubs. In the beginning it was nice because I felt horrible, and now that I'm starting to feel better, he still doesn't want me "overdoing" it.
My Son 13
TTC for 4 years
IVF in June 2013 (BFP)
1st Beta (10dp5dt) #761

Boy/Girl Twins

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search