Bottle Confusion!!!

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Duncan
  • 1 Post By jes81878
  • 1 Post By Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
  • 1 Post By HeatherLyn429
  • 1 Post By Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2013, 07:35 AM
StephanieMitchell's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm a FTM, so with all the bottle options available, I'm super confused!!
I plan to breastfeed, but I also want to pump so Dh can feed her, and I can possibly give her a bottle when in public (I'm not ok with just whipping the girls out like that, but no offense to anyone who is!) I'm looking for bottles that closely simulate an actual nipple because I've read all about nipple confusion and I definitely don't want that to happen! Has anyone heard of Breastflow bottles, or used them and have any experience with them? What I'm finding online is that those are supposed to be the best for breastfed babies... or possibly the Playtex drop-ins.
HELP!! I'm sooo confused!

We were going to have a baby, but we had an angel instead
Feb. 2013 at 8wks

Last edited by StephanieMitchell; November 14th, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
November 13th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pumped with Colt, he drank out of these.

Comotomo Silicone Bottle 5-Oz (2 Pack)- Green : Target

When he went to more oz (they are 5oz) I switched to Dr. Browns (the short ones) and he did fine with those as well.

November 13th, 2013, 08:44 AM
madis-mama17's Avatar Veteran
I pumped my Madalynn and we found the Dr brown bottles worked best!! She struggled taking the others we tried (avent and I forget the other one sorry) but Dr Brown's were amazing for her.
November 13th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
I had the same intentions, however my son had his own plan. We started bottles once a day at 3 days old. He would drool like crazy from all 4 styles we had. He didn't have a strong suck reflex and I spewed milk, so nursing was easier.

He also hated silicone. So pacifiers and all bottle nipples were a no go. Of bottles he did ok with the breastflow bottle and the playtex with the laytex nipple (the brown one). But I fought it SO much and finally stopped at 5 months even trying anymore. He hated the bottle, just wanted to nurse.

I will try bottles again this time. I liked the idea of knowing I could go to an appt and leave baby with a sitter for longer than 2 hours.

This is the breastflow - it was recommended in my breastfeeding class
Amazon.com: The First Years 1 Pack Breastflow Bottle, 5 Ounce: Baby

Amazon.com: Playtex Drop-Ins NaturaLatch Latex Nipple - Slow Flow - 2 Pack: Baby

November 13th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If you want to BF and bottle the one recomendation I was given that seemed to work well for us is always stick with the slow/flow nipples, even as they get older. When you think about it, the hole on your nipple does not change, so you do not want to make bottle feeding come out much faster than the breast. We always used Playtex drop ins (it limits the cleaning), the disadvantage is they do not take to a bottle warmer well if you plan to use one (our kids were happy just getting a bottle out of the fridge).

November 13th, 2013, 12:01 PM
melissaleigh's Avatar Unashamed POASer
I used playtex drop ins with DD and she did fine.
November 13th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Super Dad AKA mommy
we had 0 luck with many types of bottle our daughter only wanted the boob. So unfortunately i could not ever feed her and we could never be gone for long.

So the child will be the deciding factor

November 13th, 2013, 01:04 PM
jes81878's Avatar Jennifer
I'm glad you asked this question. It's been over 10 years since I've had a baby and everything has changed so much.

I'm hoping to breastfeed and pump too. I would love to be feed one twin breast and have my husband feed one bottle and rotate between feedings of which wouold be breastfed and which would be bottle...not sure how possible or reasonable that it...but I would LOVE to be able to do that for the 1st few months.

My husband is really wanting to try this feeding system. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Kiinde™ Twist Gift Set (Collect, Store, Feed and Warm) - buybuyBaby.com
My Son 13
Husband no bio/children (but the best father ever to my two boys)
TTC for 4 years
IVF in June 2013 (BFP)
1st Beta (10dp5dt) #761

Boy/Girl Twins

November 13th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Jennifer I have a couple friends who nursed twins. One tried the bottle one breast the other but still found it easier to just nurse one at a time. The other chose to tandem nurse because there wasn't always someone else around to feed the second a bottle.
jes81878 likes this.

November 13th, 2013, 02:36 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
What I would do is pick 3-4 and buy one of each. Once you see which one baby likes then you can get more. Every baby is different and just because my breastfed baby took well to playtext disposable nurser with the brown latex nipple doesn't mean yours will, know what I mean? I'm planning on breast feeding but will pump so she can have an occasional bottle. I am buying one of each of the following and will buy more once I see which one works

Playtext disposable nurser with brown laytex nipple
Avent (got this one free in my goodie bag for doing a target registry)
Born free glass bottle wide
And either tomee tippe or dr.browns glass

FYI I hated the breast flow. They leaked and my breasted baby hated them. I've heard lots of complaints of them leaking
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
November 14th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Veteran
We are getting the Dr. Brown's system and gonna figure out how to make due with that. I am very lucky, a good friend just had twins in september so I am getting all the hammy downs and just replacing the nipples.

She already gave me her breast pump and the collection bottles... so many bottles!! I think I will go through same thing with the Dr Brown system but to much is never a serious problem.
November 14th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Veteran
I am also a FTM and was wondering if anyone has used the Dr. Brown Natural flow bottles? I am planning on breastfeeding but will be pumping and storing milk in case we go out somewhere or have to leave her with someone.
November 14th, 2013, 12:22 PM
my breastflow didn't leak, but its made to mimic the breast which is supposed to be a slow flow and more work. BUT my milk came out so quickly he just didn't take to it. I think it was too much work for him

November 14th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used dr browns natural flow. They worked well for colt.

November 14th, 2013, 09:39 PM
2014 Offshoremama78's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used both Playtex drop-ins and breastflow bottles with my last..
will be using the drop-ins again... the breastflow bottles were a pia
to clean.

My Ovulation Chart

Soy Iso Believer

Alexander Cameron Murphy
02/27/2014 - 02/27/2014
November 15th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm going to be trying Dr. Browns glass bottles this time. I've heard lots of good things about them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search