breastfeeding advice

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By peaches84
  • 6 Post By Mrs. D
  • 1 Post By one.juniper
  • 2 Post By Vandertramp
  • 1 Post By Nicole1481
  • 2 Post By Mrs. D

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm a list person so i'm making my lists of stuff to buy and get done.

I want to make a nursing basket so I have everything I need in a handy place.

I had a tough time breastfeeding my DD because I didn't make enough milk and I want to be prepared and have anything convenient that will help.

so what are some essential things to keep handy in this basket/

also if anyone wants to give any breastfeeding tips and tricks, books to read, what to do in the first few weeks to start milk suppy off right etc. I'm all ears. I'm so terrified of having problems again .
Schofield06 likes this.

6/15/13
November 14th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
First, way to go on giving it another try!

I only have the one breast feeding experience with my son. We got over a few hiccups in the beginning and he nursed until he was over a year old.

I want to say you won't need too much in your basket. But I'll try to think of everything that might help.

You probably won't need anything like nipple cream. A little expressed breast milk rubbed into the nipple works the best. Something about breast milk helps to heal the skin, replace lost moisture, and prevent infection. I learned this from a lactation consultant and it really did help when DS was tiny, had a high palate, and was giving me bleeding blisters every time he nursed. Breast milk really did help!

If you are concerned about low supply, you might try Mother's Milk tea, or one of the many milk-producing cookie recipes out there. I've heard they're tasty.

Get yourself some comfy nursing bras with no underwire. The underwire can press into milk glands (which go all the way into your armpit) and hinder milk production.

I've never used them, but some have told me that nipple shields can help. If the baby has a poor latch and is hurting you, it would be good to have some on hand.

Breast pads were the one thing I couldn't get enough of. I had so much milk I was leaking like a faucet at times. My favorite were the Lansinoh brand. If your milk comes in strongly, you'll want them.

A good nursing cover is good to have, too. Something like Hooter Hiders.

Have a glass of water handy when you sit down to nurse. Nursing takes a lot of fluids and I know I got super thirsty moments after DS latched on. Pretty much every time!

Also, avoid giving the baby a pacifier for the first few months, until your nursing is established. If the baby needs to suck, let your boobs do the job. It will help milk production.

Don't wait until baby is crying to feed. As soon as you see rooting behavior or mouthing, offer a meal.

After the first few weeks get a breast pump and, between meals, try to build up a supply for your freezer. You might use it for a date night in the future. But even if you don't, pumping extra will help increase your supply.

If you are concerned about the baby not getting enough food, still avoid formula. That is one guaranteed way to reduce your supply. As long as the baby is having wet diapers you're providing milk. And if the doctor is checking on weight gain, make sure he's checking on the breast fed baby scale. Formula fed babies gain more weight early on than breast fed babies.
November 14th, 2013, 08:16 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
The only things I really liked to have handy were my nursing pillow and a burp cloth early on. I inevitably felt thirsty as soon as I started nursing but I like fresh water so keeping a bottle of water by a chair didn't really work for me. I just tried to remember to grab one.

I didn't really have a "nursing basket" though I know lots of people do that, because I often nursed in different spots in the house.

I would buy some lansinoh or some type of nipple cream. Expressed breastmilk does help to heal, but if you are in pain then it does wonders for immediate short term relief.

Pinterest
Flickr
November 14th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The only other things I would add is that the active ingredien in mother's milk tea is an hearb called fenugeek which you can but, by itself and take as a vitamine and then you (1) get a stronger dossage and (2) can just swallow a pill instead of having to make a cup of tea. Also the number of a lactation consultant, if you have had trouble in the past I would would research services ahead of time, but it is invaluable if you are having trouble to have someone actually look at what is going on and make suggestions. A lot of insurances now cover consultants under the afordable care act in the states, and a lot of places just provide free services. I know in Vegas there is something called mother's milk circle where Thursdays from 10-12 nursing moms go to this place to hang out and there is a free consultant there.... The only other thing I can think of is a way to remember what side you nursed from first. I keep a hair tie on the wrist I need to nurse from nest and switch it during feedings.

November 14th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Fengreek, steel cut oats and dark beer will help increase your supply. I had a little tote for down stairs with Colt. Diapers, wipes, pacifier, burp rag, change of clothes and I always had water handy.
Six14 likes this.

November 14th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran
I nursed my last 3 for 16+ months solely.
Biggest advise has nothing to do with any supplies. You will make enough milk if you nurse solely. trust your body to respond to baby's needs. Don't supplement unless the doctor says you need to. With my twins, my milk production took a bit longer to get up to par. My little guy needed water at one point and I felt awful because he was dry mouthed from early dehydration. But my doc said to relax and let things be and it will work out and it did. It does take a few days, and in that time you will be giving your baby colustrum which is extremely rich in nutrients and antibodies designed especially for your baby by your own body.
I can tell you that my mom gave me advice for getting my milk in- drink a beer. Not going to hurt baby, and something about it (maybe it will relax you) always made my milk come right in. Just one beer in the early days. It works fast!
Also, have plenty of burp towels, and a nursing pillow- can be anything, doesn't have to be just for nursing. Nursing pads and a little baggie/waste basket nearby to dispose of them when you start nursing because as soon as baby cries, you will leak. Good luck!
November 14th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
I didn't have issues with supply but know oatmeal helps. Ad for the basket I would say having some lanolin cream, burp cloths, breast pads, blanket to cover baby, boppy pillow (my preference), and water for you.

In order to have a sufficient milk supply make sure you drink lots of water. I was told to drink at least 8 ounces every time I nursed. And you have to eat enough. Don't worry about losing weight. Going out of town and being busy always made my supply drop. Nurse when baby wants it. Give in to cluster feeds (every hour), and know that the more you feed the more it tells your body to produce more. You can also pump after each feeding. Make sure you pump till empty. I could only nurse on one side or my son puked a ton, so I would pump both sides till empty. I did this till 2-3 months then stopped because he was refusing bottles.

November 14th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Beer can help with milk production. Bul alcohol can hinder milk production. So find a low-alcohol or alcohol-free beer that is good quality and made with real hops. It's the hops that does the trick.
November 14th, 2013, 04:28 PM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
Thank you everyone for the advice. some of my problems are because I have hypothyroidism but I don't think that should hinder me completely. I made very little milk with my DD despite every intervention I could think of. she was a very sleepy baby who never wanted to eat and I think that was a big part of the problem. I kept it up for just about a year we had to supplement A LOT but I did give her what small amount of milk I was able to.

beer isn't an option for me, I get terrible migraines from the smallest amount so drinking a beer is out of the question.

I don't know if I should start off early with the "interventions" like pumping after nursing or drinking the tea or fenugreek supplements. I love oatmeal so I will definitely be having lots of that anyway. i'm just not sure how long I should wait or since I have had problems in the past, maybe I should start right away and if I end up with an over supply deal with it then.. I don't know.

i'm so scared to struggle again that i'm sort of freaking out.

6/15/13
November 14th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Breasts work on a supply and demand basis. So the more demand for milk, the more they supply. The very best way to increase your supply is to feed more often.

In the first few days after birth you won't be producing much at all. Because colostrum is super condensed and calorie rich. And your baby won't need much either. A newborns stomach is only about a teaspoon in size.

It's possible that your milk was not initially insufficient for your girl. If she was sleeping, and not crying in hunger, maybe she was satisfied. Was her skin tone good? Was she alert and contented (not constantly wanting to nurse)? Was her muscle tone good? We're her poops soft? If they weren't formed and hard, then she was not dehydrated, i.e. she was drinking enough.

Supplementing with formula, as I mentioned before, is the best way to reduce your supply because it reduces the demand for milk.

The first few days after birth your body is getting cues about how much milk to bring in. Even though you'll only be making colostrum and baby won't need much, offer nursing sessions frequently. Even if it's only for a few minutes. The more baby latches on and sucks, the more your body will produce.

Get plenty of fluids and iron, too. If you're dehydrated or low on iron, studies have shown that this can reduce milk supply. (Oatmeal has lots of iron, btw )

Also, (I'm sure you probably have) but ask your doctor about thyroid replacement therapy. That could help you get over any difficulty caused by the hypothyroidism.

Last edited by Mrs. D; November 14th, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
November 24th, 2013, 06:44 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches84 View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice. some of my problems are because I have hypothyroidism but I don't think that should hinder me completely. I made very little milk with my DD despite every intervention I could think of. she was a very sleepy baby who never wanted to eat and I think that was a big part of the problem. I kept it up for just about a year we had to supplement A LOT but I did give her what small amount of milk I was able to.

beer isn't an option for me, I get terrible migraines from the smallest amount so drinking a beer is out of the question.

I don't know if I should start off early with the "interventions" like pumping after nursing or drinking the tea or fenugreek supplements. I love oatmeal so I will definitely be having lots of that anyway. i'm just not sure how long I should wait or since I have had problems in the past, maybe I should start right away and if I end up with an over supply deal with it then.. I don't know.

i'm so scared to struggle again that i'm sort of freaking out.

I have hypothyroidism as well and had no issues nursing my son - I didn't even know it could cause problems with nursing, can you elaborate?

Pinterest
Flickr

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search