So Painful!!

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2013, 10:43 AM
melissaleigh's Avatar Unashamed POASer
I just spent the last two hours at the dentist and I'm in more pain now then when I got there. My wisdom teeth on the top and bottom came in and are infected. The gums all around them are infected too. They tried to clean the infection out around everything and had to stop half way through because it was so painful. They called my doctor and he said they couldn't give me anything to numb it so we tried it without and it was miserable. She said the teeth HAVE to be pulled or it is going to get so much worse. She can do it with very little anesthesia and no pain pills for afterwards I have my weekly appointment today with my OB so I'm going to talk to him about it when I get there.

BTW - Wisdom teeth??? Really? Am I 35 or 18??? I thought I was a little old for that
November 14th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Veteran
They can come in at anytime. Luckily mine came in when I turned 18. It wasn't that bad afterwards pain wise. You would probably be ok with tylenol. They prescribed me low dose percocet which just put me to sleep lol I think the worst part for me was the swelling..my cheeks were huge and bruised green! I believe they can use local anesthesia during the procedure since your body can metabolize that quicker and is refined to the area its used in, but check with your ob to see

Last edited by 1stTimeMommy92; November 14th, 2013 at 11:06 AM.
November 14th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Poor thing! I bet your OB will approve some Tylenol 3 for the pain. Are all of yours through? I had my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 31. None of them were out, none of them were bothering me. Seriously, WORST experience of my life! I would rather give birth! The root on my right side was twisted all around my lower jaw. He had to cut my mouth on the inside to remove root, then stitch it back up (about 4" cut) It is still numb to this day. Then I got dry socket. I also could not as much as fit a tooth brush or spoon in my mouth for almost 2 weeks. (Jaw locked completely shut) I dont want to scare you, but if your OB approves tylenol 3, at least fill your script and be prepared for the worst. Dry socket was seriously the most painful thing EVER.

Lots of people make it through this surgery no problem. I hope you are one of those people and are on the mend soon!

November 14th, 2013, 11:29 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
http://www.cfp.ca/content/55/6/598.full

I don't see why they can't give you a local anesthetic. You are in the least risky term of your pregnancy, now is the time to get it taken care of. To me the risk of an infection running rampant is much worse then the risk associated with local anesthesia.

Pinterest
Flickr

Last edited by one.juniper; November 14th, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
November 14th, 2013, 03:01 PM
My kid kicks butt
I just had dental surgery done at 22 weeks and got local anesthesia and an rx of vicodin; both approved by my OB. Even my doctor friend says painkillers are perfectly safe during pregnancy!

November 14th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Veteran
I use to get really really painful infections from my wisdom teeth but I didn't have great insurance so I would have my dentist family member call in an antibiotic for me and that would solve the issue in a handful of days.

Then after a really really bad infection he straight up pulled out my top ones (general dentist, not oral surgeon) with nothing but local anesthetic. Luckily the roots were straight forward so he was able to do this. He could not pull my lowers because they are too gnarled and I will need surgery to remove.

Luckily since I had the uppers pulled, no more infections (and the bottom ones always got the worst bit of the infection). Not sure if that is viable in your situation, but I would ask maybe? The upper wisdom teeth were super easy recovery. I don't think I took anything stronger than regular Tylenol.
November 14th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh goodness! I'm so sorry your wisdom teeth are hurting you so much. When I had mind out I didn't need to use the pain meds for more than a few days. I really hope you can get them taken care of and it's an easy recover for you.
November 15th, 2013, 08:18 AM
melissaleigh's Avatar Unashamed POASer
Saw the OB yesterday and he said local anesthesia was fine as well as pain pills if needed. He just asked that I wait as close to my third trimester as possible. I have antibiotics for right now and will see how long I can take it
November 15th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Veteran
That sounds much better than an infection..and safer for the baby. Good luck and I'm sure you will be fine

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search