Sound proofing a room?

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Veteran
I live on the third floor of an older house and you can hear every single thing that is said no matter where you are. It doesn't help that the people I live with don't know how to talk normally but have to yell, argue, and slam stuff! We've said something to them before about it especially when the babies here. I need ways to sound proof me and my df's room as well as the babies room, since moving isn't an option. I know a babies shouldn't be around complete silence but I don't want her around constant yelling and things being slammed. If this keeps happening I may have to take my baby and myself and move in with my parents...at least I won't have to worry about arguing and stuff slamming. I just don't want to leave my df (he can't come due to school and work) Any ideas? help!
November 14th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
This might help.
MintLife Blog | Personal Finance News & Advice | 5 Simple Ways to Soundproof Your House
November 14th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Melissa.Anne's Avatar Veteran
I'd be getting out of there with my baby. It may sound harsh, but that sounds like a horrible environment to raise a child. You can soundproof a room, but unless the baby never leaves the room (unlikely) it will be very difficult to shield him or her from the negativity. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
November 14th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
I agree that soundproofing your rooms won't hide all the tension and fighting from your child. He/she can hear it already. Why can't you guys move out? Can't afford it? You said his work and school but nothing says you can't stay close

November 15th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Veteran
We can't afford our own place as rent is super high where we live. I would love to move out. We both work part time, he makes about $22/hr, I make like $10. He is going to school, and I am paying back loans. It's just a bad situation. He actually said something to his dad last night and his dad denied that there is any arguing or fighting and that what we see is wrong.....and that when he talks he talks emotionally because thats his culture? its a load of b/s if you ask me. I guess Olivia will never leave her room or ours.
November 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
My mom and stepdad are like that. They never talk at a normal volume but are ALWAYS yelling. They dont' see it as fighting or yelling either.

November 15th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Veteran
my df's sister is the worst then her dad! she is 26 and throws tantrums like a 2 year old. Screaming and crying, slamming doors and drawers, stomping hr feet up steps.
November 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran
Oh, this brings back memories of my first apartment. I could hear every single thing my downstairs neighbor said and did. HATED it. Couldn't sound proof an apartment, so I go tmy revenge when my son started running at 7 months old. That dude below me was so angry listening to him running around all day and used to come upstairs and tell me he will get me kicked out. So I bought a super loud exercise bike with a roaring fan for the front wheel... Used to ride it late at night just over his bed. It ws like a war of who could be louder. I was so happy to get out of there!
November 15th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Veteran
Haha that is so funny! His dad thinks we live in a "phony world" as he put it since we never fight..we fight, but we don't need to scream at the top of our lungs and slam stuff. We actually talk it out without raising our voices..its not that hard lol. As for sound proofing, I wish I thought of it before we painted and set up the furniture :/ oh well I'll probably just put music on to drown out any yelling

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search