Will you be recording kick counts?

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree34Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2013, 07:11 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
And I don't mean just making sure your baby has been moving throughout the day. I mean actual time each day that you set aside at the same time each day to monitor and record 10 movements.
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
November 14th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Melissa.Anne's Avatar Veteran
I honestly can't see myself doing that... Is that bad?? I'm a worrier by nature, and I feel if I were to focus to hard on something like that I'd stress myself out and assume something is wrong.
November 14th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I'm a worrier also but I feel like I'll worry worse if I don't do it.
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
November 14th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Veteran
I think it would make me stress out for no reason. Some days Peewee kicks all day, other days he is much quieter. I don't think the anxiety would do either of us any good!

November 14th, 2013, 08:13 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Ain't nobody got time for that. J/k.

Pinterest
Flickr
November 14th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
I never did this with my son, but I am really nervous this time so I think I will. I can confidently say my son NEVER moved enough to "pass" kick counts.

What week do they suggest starting them? And is there a preferred time or just making it the same time each day?

November 14th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy View Post
I never did this with my son, but I am really nervous this time so I think I will. I can confidently say my son NEVER moved enough to "pass" kick counts.

What week do they suggest starting them? And is there a preferred time or just making it the same time each day?
28 weeks. They say to pick a time you know baby is most active and do it at that time each day. I will be doing it.
November 14th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
ok, I have 7 more weeks for this kid to start moving more.
HeatherLyn429 likes this.

November 15th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm pretty chill about stuff like that. I'm sure I'll notice if she isn't moving as much as usual. But already she's being an acrobat every evening. I see no reason to record how many kicks or chart them or anything like that.
HeatherLyn429 and Six14 like this.
November 15th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Veteran
This was one of the areas i am a troubled patient. I don't do them, lol. I might do a few in my head at the start of 28 weeks, just to establish wether or not he even does 10 before i fall asleep. But im not losing sleep over it, haha.
The reason i told my doctor i refuse to do them, is because they treat it as homework that i'm scolded for not completeing at every appointment, when it should be for me and my assurance alone. When i was young with my first babies, i would have to go back and later put some lie on the chart for all the days i didn't actually do them. So it seemed pointless anyways.
Six14 likes this.
November 15th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Veteran
I might do it, but I am a FTM and feel like it would drive me nuts if my LO didn't do 10. There's days she moves A LOT and days she barely moves! I might try it in the evening or morning when shes most active but if it starts to worry me I'll probably stop
November 15th, 2013, 07:09 AM
What is the purpose of it though?? Say your baby kicks 8 times instead of 10- are you supposed to run to your caregiver in a frenzied panic? I'm sure their answer would be 'oh well, she just wasn't in a kicking mood' ???

My thoughts are, if she kicks... Awesome, she's still alive in there. Nothing more can be determined about her developmental status until she is born anyway right?

Maybe I'm alone but I find this whole idea ridiculous.
November 15th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My OB w/my first had me at around 30 weeks lie down for an hour and if I did not get 10 kicks I had to go to labor and delivery to get monitored, it was stressfull and had a bunch of false alarms. Did not do it with my second and was much happier.

November 15th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa.Anne View Post
What is the purpose of it though?? Say your baby kicks 8 times instead of 10- are you supposed to run to your caregiver in a frenzied panic? I'm sure their answer would be 'oh well, she just wasn't in a kicking mood' ???

My thoughts are, if she kicks... Awesome, she's still alive in there. Nothing more can be determined about her developmental status until she is born anyway right?

Maybe I'm alone but I find this whole idea ridiculous.
First off your whole post here comes off very rude. Lots can be learned by monitoring your babies movements in the womb. Having had a friend who lost her baby at 39weeks to a cord accident I don't find it "ridiculous" or "calling your doctor in a frenzied panic". Studies have shown that often babies show signs in utero in the days leading up to something bad happening that could have possibly been prevented. If you do a kick count every day at say 2pm and it takes your baby 20 minutes to move 10 times then all of a sudden it takes 90 minutes one day to get those 10 kicks, it could indicate a problem. Not always but that is why it is good to know your babies pattern. Personally I'd rather be monitored on L&D and find out nothing's wrong. I'm not worried about bothering my doctor.. If I ever told my doctor my babies kick counts had been off and she wasn't kicking as much as normal and she replied "oh well she wasn't in a kicking mood", if rip her a new one AND I'd be looking for a new doctor.

But to say doing them is ridiculous is very insulting to those of u who do them. I think lots of things women do are ridiculous during pregnancy but I wouldn't just say that to them. I asked who was doing kick counts not what you think of them.

Last edited by HeatherLyn429; November 15th, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
November 15th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I said I FIND it ridiculous. As in, that is my opinion. (I am allowed to have an opinion no?).

I didn't say anything about women who do them being ridiculous, it's just something I'm likely not going to do.

Wasn't this thread started to create a discussion? Discussions are good, and opinions can vary! If I personally offended anyone, I apologize for that, it wasn't my intention.
November 15th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
I'd do it periodically but I wouldn't set time aside for it. If she started kicking I would count them. But I also knew there were days she was more active than others. The days she was less active, I did try to count the kicks more to ease my mind. I knw doctors and theories can become excessive, and I'm no doctor, but I tend to follow what makes more sense to me. I don't think kick counting is crucial but I definitely see it's benefits. I consider 10 kicks to be approximately.. If I get 8, I'm satisfied. I also wouldn't be afraid to call my dr worried, only to have a false alarm, because there could be a problem and I'd feel horrible if I ignored it.

<3
November 15th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Veteran
I tend to agree that counting movements can cause unnecessary worry and I will not be doing it. I think that I will be aware if movements change in frequency. If my doctor asks me to count, then I will, otherwise, I will just monitor the pregnancy via regular OB visits.
For those who count, that is great. I can see that for someone at risk it might be beneficial to pay closer attention to your baby's movements.
November 15th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:
I said I FIND it ridiculous. As in, that is my opinion. (I am allowed to have an opinion no?).

I didn't say anything about women who do them being ridiculous, it's just something I'm likely not going to do.

Wasn't this thread started to create a discussion? Discussions are good, and opinions can vary! If I personally offended anyone, I apologize for that, it wasn't my intention.
Yes you said you find the whole idea ridiculous. Opinions are fine when stated in a way that is not going to offend someone with a differing opinion, for example I don't agree with inductions of labor so if I said that I find the use of pitocin or inductions ridiculous on a thread of someone who asked who was planning on getting induced, that IMO would be rude when I simply could say no I won't be getting induced it's not for me.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself well what I mean but yes I did find it a bit offensive.
November 15th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Let's just agree to disagree then. I find circumcision ridiculous and will openly state that I FIND it to be genital mutilation. Is that going to offend someone who has it done to their son? Probably. Do I have a right to my opinion, yes. People don't always agree, and certain topics spark more passionate responses than others. I didn't call anyone ridiculous, I stated my opinion. I'm sorry we are not seeing eye to eye on this, but I'm not sorry I stated my opinion on an open Internet forum!

Last edited by Melissa.Anne; November 15th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
November 15th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Impatientlywaiting's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Let's just agree to disagree then. I find circumcision ridiculous and will openly state that I FIND it to be genital mutilation. Is that going to offend someone who has it done to their son? Probably. Do I have a right to my opinion, yes. People don't always agree, and certain topics spark more passionate responses than others. I didn't call anyone ridiculous, I stated my opinion. I'm sorry we are not seeing eye to eye on this, but I'm not sorry I stated my opinion on an open Internet forum!
I don't usually get involved in this kinda stuff but you have been quite rude. And calling circumcision "genital mutilation"... Why do you feel the need to label someone else's decision in such an ugly way.. And I'm refering to both this your so loudly protested against. I personally don't plan on doing kick counts but someone else doing them doesn't mean it's by any means ridiculous. Don't be such a right fighter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search