Thought This Was Interesting

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cofcgirl2004
  • 1 Post By Vandertramp
  • 1 Post By Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
'Pregorexia': Extreme dieting by pregnant women - CNN.com

November 20th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
It's sad but doesn't surprise me too much. My dr already commented on my weight last appt because I fluctuate a lot but haven't gained much. I'm up 2 1/2 pounds total but have been up and down a lot. But I'm heavier too and don't need to gain as much. Just not hungry.

November 21st, 2013, 06:55 AM
Veteran
I saw this article too. My aunt had her son when she was 39 and her husband at the time told her he didn't want to be married to someone fat, pregnant or not. My aunt has had issues with anorexia and bulimia since high school. At 9 months pregnant she barely looked 6 months pregnant. My cousin was so tightly packed in there he wouldn't turn for a vaginal birth. He was born vi c-section. My aunt barely gained any weight -- luckily my cousin was okay but I'm sure that pregnancy did a toll on her own health, her bones, hair, etc.

It really makes me angry that women don't take the advice from their doctors to safely gain a certain amount of weight so their babies get all the nutrients to grow. Although the baby hasn't been born yet, to me it's a form of child abuse to not eat enough and exercise excessively to bring harm to your baby! I hope that the women with this "pregorexia" get mental help because it is so scary what can happen to a baby in the womb when the mother neglects its needs.

And shame on society and partners/family for telling a pregnant woman she's fat. As a pregnant woman, your body is amazing -- it's making a baby grow! Treat your body like a factory, it needs fuel to run and make a healthy baby! Really wish my aunt had read this article while she was pregnant, it might have spared her pain toward the end.

April 2013 - referred to RE due to failed reverse vasectomy

June 2013 - Hubby has TESE / Egg retreival and transfer (IVF/ICSI)

July 9, 2013 - BFP!
July 31, 2013 - 1st ultrasound, one baby bean with heartbeat!

November 7, 2013 - It's a GIRL!

November 21st, 2013, 08:04 AM
Veteran
Such a sad thing that there is such an obsession with being thin over being healthy. We should not worry about being "fat" in pregnancy! We should be concerned that we and our babies are getting the proper nutrition.
I try very hard to encourage my daughte rto be active and eat healthy. I explain that things are okay in moderation and it is okay to treat yourself to something special and not feel guilty. I also want her to feel good in her body in all shapes she will have in her life and not use a scale but use how she feels physically and mentally to determine when to adjust her lifestyle habits. Now when I tell her she is beautiful, she says "I know!" (my daughte ris painfully shy and reserved so this does not come out conceited). My step daughters bio mother tells her that she HAS to be skinny or men won't like her. She is 9 and very tall and eats nothing. And she is obsessed with exerising! I feel so sad when I see a 9 year old like this. Her hair actually starts to fall out after being with her Mom for more than a week at a time. And she comments all the time on overweight women like she has a right to judge someone else because she is thin. I love her so much and hate to see her growing up with that body image. :-(
November 21st, 2013, 08:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It is funny, over the last couple years it feels like there has been such an emphasis on "not eating for two) and not gaining too much wait, that we forget about the reverse. I put my scale away for this pregnancy.
JillyP likes this.

November 21st, 2013, 08:54 AM
Veteran
I also think doctors sometimes increase the problem for otherwise healthy women, first by ever even stating a blanket range of 25-35, but then by weighing and commenting at every appointment.

I was up 50+lbs with my first two, and they turned out just fine. I certainly couldn't figure out what i was doing "wrong" to cause "too much" gain. My body just does that. I was harrassed by my first doctor for overeating, which i really wasn't.

But also that constant weight/food connection implied that i could even control the number on the scale, which i certainly can't. (I think there are many factors to weight that are out of our control or understanding, and we should be advised to focus on food quality and exercise as ends, not as means.)

Im up at least 25lbs already. Luckily i refuse to comply with the textbook weight goals, so im definately expecting to exceed the 35 range. But i can see how "good patients" (which i am not, haha) would try to interfere at this point because of their doctors reccomendations, and not because they have any kind of problem.
November 21st, 2013, 09:50 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
JillyP I agree, some dr's will tell women barely gaining they need to gain more, and others tell healthy weight women they need to slow down. I am heavier and gained right at 30 pounds with my 41 weeks pregnancy of a 9 pound 3 oz baby. It came off just fine. This one I am 10 pounds heavier to start (gained after last mc) and my dr hasn't said a word about how much to gain or not gain. I love my dr. By my sister who is my same size was consonantly told she wasn't gaining enough with her daughter. My mom too. She would actually lose weight in her last two pregnancies. But both those babies were growing fine but her metabolism was in high gear.
JillyP likes this.

November 25th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six14 View Post
Such a sad thing that there is such an obsession with being thin over being healthy. We should not worry about being "fat" in pregnancy! We should be concerned that we and our babies are getting the proper nutrition.
I try very hard to encourage my daughte rto be active and eat healthy. I explain that things are okay in moderation and it is okay to treat yourself to something special and not feel guilty. I also want her to feel good in her body in all shapes she will have in her life and not use a scale but use how she feels physically and mentally to determine when to adjust her lifestyle habits. Now when I tell her she is beautiful, she says "I know!" (my daughte ris painfully shy and reserved so this does not come out conceited). My step daughters bio mother tells her that she HAS to be skinny or men won't like her. She is 9 and very tall and eats nothing. And she is obsessed with exerising! I feel so sad when I see a 9 year old like this. Her hair actually starts to fall out after being with her Mom for more than a week at a time. And she comments all the time on overweight women like she has a right to judge someone else because she is thin. I love her so much and hate to see her growing up with that body image. :-(
Wow, but I am not overly shocked as my mother told me this very same thing -- that I wouldn't find a husband if I didn't lose weight -- I was about 20 years old at the time and always was a "pudgy" girl from age 6 on. I'm plus size now and my mom struggled with her weight too until about 5 years ago she had gastric bypass to help her maintain her weight and stay at a size 6-8. Well I don't have money for that type of surgery but I sure remembered what she said! It's very hurtful to have anyone close to you tell you things like that, that you are ugly or undesirable because of the size jeans you wear or how much the dial moves when you step onto that scale.

I've slowly lost a bit of weight this pregnancy mainly from upset stomach and lower appetite, but it's starting to pick up. I hope this type of article is a wake-up call to women everywhere to watch what you say around your daughters and other women. The last thing we need from men is to judged on our appearance, but we do it to each other! You are right Six14, there are so many young girls out there with bad perceptions of what a healthy body looks like. No wonder so many girls compared to boys get caught up with eating disorders and have them problem carry over into pregnancy!

April 2013 - referred to RE due to failed reverse vasectomy

June 2013 - Hubby has TESE / Egg retreival and transfer (IVF/ICSI)

July 9, 2013 - BFP!
July 31, 2013 - 1st ultrasound, one baby bean with heartbeat!

November 7, 2013 - It's a GIRL!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search