Hoping I can join you :)

Forum: March 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shirley_ann
  • 1 Post By jes81878

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Super Mommy
Hello Ladies!

My name is Shirley Ann and I am a regular on the April DDC board. Our due date is officially April 6th, 2014; however, due to complications it looks like we'll be delivering at 37 weeks or sooner, which puts us into March 2014. Since I'll likely be delivering in March, I was hoping to get to know you all in addition to my April gals

I was diagnosed in December with gestational diabetes. I take insulin 3 times a day with each main meal. I have to check my blood sugars up to 10 times a day and eat every few hours. That was a huge adjustment to say the least. I have been hospitalized twice due to it because we're having troubles finding the right balance of insulin and my body is stubborn, one for 2 days before Christmas and for 5 days in January after Christmas.

After suffering horrible headaches off and on again all day for 2 weeks I discovered I was having blood pressure issues. I was medicated for it 2 weeks ago after spending the evening in the ER. It was doing much better on the medication until a few days ago. Had a bad bad episode last night and the doctor tripled my medication as of today and sent me for pre-eclampsia bloodwork. Results should be back tomorrow, if they are ok I get to stay home and carry on, but if they are not so good he is hospitalizing me tomorrow.

I also have had a few other complications along the way, swelling, numbness in hands and arms, etc. All of which happened since December. Never a dull moment. I was considered high risk before all of these problems, now I am considered a nightmare I am sure haha.

In any event, I have an absolute wonderful Doctor who is taking very good care of me and watching me super close. This will be our rainbow baby after 3 miscarriages. Doing everything and anything I can to bring our little boy into this world safely and healthy.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Justiah likes this.

After 15 long years, our miracle is now here...
Xavier arrived 8 weeks early on February 9th, 2014
We are over the moon happy!!! <3

Follow me to my Blog at http://islandangel.blog.com

January 27th, 2014, 07:03 PM
jes81878's Avatar Jennifer
I just wanted to say hello and welcome. We have a facebook page and there is a lot more interaction there. I hope you get good results tomorrow.
Justiah likes this.
My Son 13
Husband no bio/children (but the best father ever to my two boys)
TTC for 4 years
IVF in June 2013 (BFP)
1st Beta (10dp5dt) #761

Boy/Girl Twins

January 28th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome!

January 28th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi and Welcome. I was thinking about peeking over on the April board since I have a late DD and will probably go over to April. Ditto the above, that there is a fb page for this group that is much more active.

January 28th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks! I was beginning to wonder why it was so quiet here
How does one join the facebook group?

After 15 long years, our miracle is now here...
Xavier arrived 8 weeks early on February 9th, 2014
We are over the moon happy!!! <3

Follow me to my Blog at http://islandangel.blog.com

January 28th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
Wow!! Sounds like you've been thru quite a lot!! Congrats on your rainbow baby!!!!

As far as the fb page, there is a link in the thread titled fb page! It's only a few threads down from this one! Add your name when you request to join so we know who the fb request is!!

<3
January 28th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi there. I was also diagnosed with GDM in December. And this is also our Rainbow Baby after three miscarriages.

When they diagnosed me here it was about a month between my diagnosis and a nutritionist consult. They just gave me a glucometer, told me to check my fasting glucose in the morning and two hours after every meal, and sent me home. We live in Japan and go to a Navy hospital where things don't necessarily run efficiently. So I was left to figure out how to get my blood sugar under control on my own.

I ended up cutting out a LOT of carbohydrates. Not just processed pre-packaged refined breads, pasta, rice, sugar and the usual subjects. But skim milk, bananas, potatoes, all grains, and anything but small quantities of pretty much any other carbohydrate.

I do continue to eat vegetables and fruits and low-glycemic carbs. And I know the diet seems extreme. But I was able to ALMOST keep my blood sugar under control keeping my daily carbs down below 100g per day and less than 20g at a time.

When I finally did talk to the nutritionist, I was shocked at the recommendations. She was telling me to eat so much more carbohydrate! And cutting out fat, when I was already having trouble getting enough calories to gain any weight. When I explained that I really was eating a lot of vegetables and getting plenty of fiber in low sugar fruits and berries, she seemed satisfied, but still wanted me to try adding more carbs. (I have no idea why)

I did try, and after two meals of 30+g of carbs my blood sugar spiked significantly. They did end up putting me on glyburide, which has helped with my fasting glucose and helped when a meal gets closer to 20g of carbs. But I totally threw out the "Gestational Diabetes and You" pamphlets and meal recommendations. It was NOT working for me. High fat, high protein, and low glycemic carbs are all that work for me.

I hope you're able to get it under control. I know how crazy and desperate this feels. And how, even if they don't try to, the medical staff can make you feel like it's your fault.

Last edited by Mrs. D; January 28th, 2014 at 03:51 PM.
January 28th, 2014, 08:10 PM
maybethistime's Avatar Super Mommy
Welcome! The things we go through to bring our babies into the world eh? Come join our facebook group
2009/09/07 - Angel #1
2010/05/18 - Angel #2
DS born 2011
Baby #3 EDD March 3, 2014

January 29th, 2014, 05:32 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Welcome!

Pinterest
Flickr
January 29th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Veteran
Welcome!!
January 29th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome!
January 30th, 2014, 09:43 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
Welcome!
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search