Breast or Bottle

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Tash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Tash
Breastfeeding until LO self weans.
July 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be breastfeeding again. I was able to nurse my dd until she was 13 months. She did get bottles of breastmilk with the sitter when I went back to work, but I nursed any other time. I also had to supplement after 6 months, but her bottles were half and half and then nursing when I got home and in the morning.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

July 8th, 2011, 04:05 PM
sandiegomom's Avatar Super Mommy
Breastfeeding! Unfortunately, I didn't with my other 2 daughters( 12 and 16 years old now) I gave up after difficulty with latching on. I am very hopeful for the increased support systems and knowledge to the importance of breastfeeding! I am grateful that there are many lactation consultants available in the hospitals now. I remember a nurse getting frustrated with me and telling me if I couldn't figure it out then just give her a bottle or she would be jaundiced. Now, that I am an RN, I realize this was ridiculous. True..the fluids help to decrease the risk of jaundice, but....she wasn't jaundiced , and it had not been that long! Losing the benefits of much needed antibodies, and bonding, was worse But...I know now, and I won't give up!
July 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I'll be breastfeeding. I managed only about 6 weeks with my first, but with my second I pumped through a 2 month NICU stay and went on until he weaned because of surgery at 11.5 months. I am so! excited! to be able to breastfeed at home, instead of going to work and pumping half the day away, LOL.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
July 8th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Veteran
I'm hoping to be able to BF. I had implants done a few years ago, so I may or may not have trouble. Part of the reason I choose my surgeon (one of a laundry list) is that many of his patients were able to breastfeed post surgery, his wife included. Of course every woman is different, every surgery is different, every boob is different, but from everything I've read (and talks with my surgeon), the implants are in a good location and the incesion is as well for them to not really impact milk production. So...here's hoping!

DH is very supportive of my breastfeeding and my mom is as well. My mom didn't BF me (she blames age and ignorance) but did BF my little sister and says she regrets not BFing me.
July 8th, 2011, 04:32 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
defy.gravity, my mom said the same thing about me and my little sis. She was so very supportive of me breastfeeding my daughter.

Sandiego - I'm going to be adamant about them not giving the baby formula in the hospital. They did with my daughter because she had trouble latching. Now I know she wouldn't have starved to death.

I'm so excited to do it again.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

July 8th, 2011, 06:34 PM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be breastfeeding. All of my kids have been breastfed. My youngest was the earliest to wean at 9 months. My milk just started completely drying up. We held on as long as we could. So now she's on formula and OMG, it's so freaking expensive! My other kids have gone to 1 year or past so this is our first time doing formula. Hoping to go at least a year with this little one!

July 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Sarai1983's Avatar Bonus Mom w/ a Baby Bump
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarai1983
I'm going to breast feed. It's just better all the way around...
July 9th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyAnn327 View Post
So now she's on formula and OMG, it's so freaking expensive!
It is, but make sure you are using a generic brand to save some cash! Formula is so heavily regulated that it is pretty much literally the exact same thing inside the can - like Parent's Choice at Walmart is word for word, ingredient for ingredient, nutritional line by nutritional line identical to Enfamil, but Enfamil is $20+ per can and Parent's Choice is $12 per can. And I think a friend told me the Target brand is identical to Similac.

July 9th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to ~lovinhawaii~
I will most definately be breastfeedin this time around also.... I'm still Bfing my 18month old and I just can't see it any other way
July 9th, 2011, 08:19 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~lovinhawaii~ View Post
I will most definately be breastfeedin this time around also.... I'm still Bfing my 18month old and I just can't see it any other way

Breastfeeding is such a passion of mine. I've converted so many people around here that Extended BF isn't wrong or gross. I nursed Anastasia for 3.5 years, through 1.5 pregnancies, and tandem with her brother for 1.5 years. I really couldn't imagine not nursing one of my children for years.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 9th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post

Breastfeeding is such a passion of mine. I've converted so many people around here that Extended BF isn't wrong or gross. I nursed Anastasia for 3.5 years, through 1.5 pregnancies, and tandem with her brother for 1.5 years. I really couldn't imagine not nursing one of my children for years.

I am still nursing my 14m daughter and plan to at least until she's 2, probably longer. Same will go for the new LO. I love breastfeeding - healthy for all, and such an important time for bonding. The only thing I will try to do differently is to get this one able to take a bottle of expressed milk. My daughter never took a bottle, and it was nearly impossible for me to leave her with anybody, including dad, until she started to eat solids. I will research more how to best get a breastfed baby to take a bottle (though we did do a lot last time, and nothing worked then ...) and hopefully it'll work this time.

July 9th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Taz38's Avatar Proud Mommy
I had planned on breastfeeding and then the other day we went to Sams Club and hubby saw the prices for formula and flipped out. He had a really concerned look on his face and asked "you are breastfeding aren't you?"

Hahaha sticker shock!
July 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Going to attempt to breastfeed, but I don't get but 6 weeks of maternity leave, which I am planning on taking an extra week of vacation on the end of, but I don't want to spend so long stressing out over trying to BF, but rather bonding and spending time with LO. With DD, she really had a hard time latching and it was taxing on all of us, so I pumped and she had my milk from a bottle for 3.5 weeks (wish I could have done it longer) because I just couldn't physically do it anymore, I was exhausted and we were both miserable, so we weaned onto formula and we were both happier for it! IMO, breastfeeding is a wonderful thing, but I also, as mentioned before, don't want to spend half of my maternity leave mastering something that I will have to wean the LO from a week or two later. Pumping at work would be a huge challenge for me. Good luck to everyone who will be bfing - hopefully it's a breeze!
July 9th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by humnck View Post
With DD, she really had a hard time latching and it was taxing on all of us, so I pumped and she had my milk from a bottle for 3.5 weeks (wish I could have done it longer) because I just couldn't physically do it anymore, I was exhausted and we were both miserable, so we weaned onto formula and we were both happier for it!
That was me with my first, but my second took to it like a pro! Good luck, I hope this one makes it easier on you You could also half and half it if you can't pump at work, if this one DOES nurse easily... Formula while you're at work and nurse when you're at home. Though I do agree, at the end of the day, happy mama and happy baby reign supreme

July 9th, 2011, 05:12 PM
zubeldia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a big fan and proponent of breastfeeding. I am still breastfeeding my 2 year old DS and it has been an amazing experience. I also express milk and he has had a few bottles when I have been at work but the vast majority of his feeds have been directly from the source. It is tiring when you nurse on demand, especially during the night, but nowadays he is only nursing once or twice a night and since we cosleep it's not a big deal. I'm hoping he'll continue to nurse through this pregnancy.

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
July 9th, 2011, 05:39 PM
mythreesons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on bfing this little one for as long as s/he wants to.

I stopped nursing DS#1 b/c he was sick and I started giving him bottles and he refused to eat from the breast. DS#2 I nursed for 16 months but stopped when I was pg with #3. With DS#3, I got very sick and had to be put on super duper drugs, therefore I needed to stop bfing.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my wonderful siggy!

Me: Kristine

July 9th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Bekki
Breastfeed! I'm too lazy to bottlefeed!
July 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
I will not be deciding on that issue for quite some time. I would prefer to breastfeed but as a former exclusive pumper, I am not doing THAT again. Boob or formula.

July 10th, 2011, 11:27 AM
mojo-risin's Avatar Super Mommy
Will plan on breastfeeding, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I have to switch to formula. With my son, we struggled from the beginning, and I had such guilt and frustration that it lead to some pretty hardcore post partum depression. I still managed to EBF for 8 weeks, and hated every second of it. He took almost an hour to eat, and then by the time he was done, I got like a 20 minute break before he was hungry again. It was exhausting. I also never got much from the pump, and couldn't break away at work to pump often enough. By 5 months, I called the whole thing quits, and switched to formula. I still felt so ridiculously guilty, and I also feel as if I missed out on a lot of the bonding that breastfeeding should offer because I despised it so badly.

This time, I am planning on doing a lot of things differently. I know what to expect, and I am going to pump from the beginning so that DH can help with the feedings. I am also not going to stress out about it as much, and just let my body (and baby) do their thing. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggie!!

Tags
bottle feeding , breastfeeding

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search