AAP finally says NO CRIB BUMPERS

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM
pixiedust012404's Avatar Lovin my baby girl
The AAP has finally released that they believe crib bumpers should absolutely not be used, EVER. A few states are even trying to make illegal to sell them.

I am sure a lot of you ladies already know this but I wanted to pass on in case there were any ladies out there that didn't realize that they are far more dangerous than they are cute.

Get bumpers out of cribs, doctor group urges - CNN.com

thank you jaidynsmum for my siggie!

October 19th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Another government regulation.... Gotta love it. One day we won't be able to decide how to birth our kids.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

October 19th, 2011, 05:36 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Baby View Post
Another government regulation.... Gotta love it. One day we won't be able to decide how to birth our kids.
Exactly...I wonder when they decided they were not safe, considering three and half years ago my daughter's crib set was sold with one.

And the AAP isn't a law making body, but I heard on the news today that lawmakers are working to get them banned.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

October 19th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Oh yeah, I know, but you see what happened with dropside cribs. I know they cannot make laws, but just states jumping on the bandwagon is just rediculous.

October 19th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Ooo You Touch My TraLaLa
Send a message via Skype™ to Dez
I wonder what the stance on vertical bumpers, that just cover the slats but leave gaps, are.
October 19th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Did anyone read the article?

I agree that one death is too many, but the study attributed 27 deaths over a 20 year period to crib bumpers. That's a really far fetched study, in my opinion. It goes on to discuss ways to prevent SIDS, and I guess that I should point out that when the AAP recommended back sleeping, SIDS deaths dropped dramatically, but have since plateued. Now the AAP is recommending breastfeeding and vaccinations to help prevent SIDS. Can someone please tell me how breastfeeding and vaccinations will prevent suffocation?

I don't mean to be harsh, but I get so tired of this government pumping fear into society and people just eat it up.

Ok, end rant.

October 19th, 2011, 05:50 PM
They are STILL sold in most crib sets. They **just** decided to come out and say you should not use them, though a few years ago they suggested using mesh/breathable ones without ties.

The issue is that a very young baby with limited head mobility can roll into it and suffocate and an older baby can get the ties around their necks (just like with blind strings.) Children HAVE died due to these issues.

Because I'm going to school for Early Childhood Education, I have take classes such as child development and we learn all about the studies done on stuff like this, so I, personally, have believed since before even reading this article that the only thing that should be in your child's crib is a mattress, a fitted sheet, and your child. Yes crib bumpers, stuffed animals, pillows, comforters, etc are cute but for **my child** I feel it's better to be safe than sorry. Just my personal beliefs.

October 19th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2noelle View Post
Did anyone read the article?

I agree that one death is too many, but the study attributed 27 deaths over a 20 year period to crib bumpers. That's a really far fetched study, in my opinion. It goes on to discuss ways to prevent SIDS, and I guess that I should point out that when the AAP recommended back sleeping, SIDS deaths dropped dramatically, but have since plateued. Now the AAP is recommending breastfeeding and vaccinations to help prevent SIDS. Can someone please tell me how breastfeeding and vaccinations will prevent suffocation?

I don't mean to be harsh, but I get so tired of this government pumping fear into society and people just eat it up.

Ok, end rant.
There's really no win/win situation with the put your child on their back or put your child on their stomach to sleep. They say to put them on their backs now, because on their stomach they can suffocate if their face gets squashed into the mattress. They used to recommend putting them on their stomachs because babies were dying from spitting up & choking on it because the spit up had no where to go. I feel that's a situation where you need to pick what you feel is the lesser of two evils.

October 19th, 2011, 05:59 PM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had the crib bumper in until Zoe was able to roll or scoot around the crib. Then, I replaced it with a breathable bumper. I wanted to keep her limbs from getting stuck in the slats. (Which as happened a couple of times, as she has gotten older. Once her leg was so stuck I was worried I was going to have to break the slats.) I also like the breathable bumper because it slides down if she tries to use it to climb. I was always concerned that she could use the other bumper as a step to climb out.

October 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I agree with you Nia. I mean the AAP does not recommend routine circ, but where is all the state legislature on that. Oh right, that is a multi million dollar money maker for hospitals. I think that parents should be able to do as they please. What happened to common sense and personal resposibility? Now, the government organizations can be here and let us know how much we suck and let us need them to tell us how to do things. Where would we be without them?

October 19th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Super Mommy
I've never used them with either of my other children, and wasn't planning on it for this one either. Good info tho.

October 19th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust012404 View Post
There's really no win/win situation with the put your child on their back or put your child on their stomach to sleep. They say to put them on their backs now, because on their stomach they can suffocate if their face gets squashed into the mattress. They used to recommend putting them on their stomachs because babies were dying from spitting up & choking on it because the spit up had no where to go. I feel that's a situation where you need to pick what you feel is the lesser of two evils.
I wasn't disagreeing with back sleeping. I was just paraphrasing what was in the article. I actually know of someone who's godson recently, like two weeks ago or so, passed away from choking in his vomit when his sitter had him sleeping on his tummy...and he was 5 months old.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but we started tummy time early with my DD to give her neck control, however, she did sleep primarily on her back.

October 19th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Chelbell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never used a crib bumper or anything else in the crib. I started giving Jax a blanket around 16 months.
Chelsey, mom to Jaxon(3), Zachary(1), and expecting #3 11/11/13

October 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Baby View Post
I think that parents should be able to do as they please. What happened to common sense and personal resposibility? Now, the government organizations can be here and let us know how much we suck and let us need them to tell us how to do things. Where would we be without them?
Exactly. I was thinking this as I was bathing the kid.

While they're eliminating dropside cribs and bumpers, how about ruling out motor vehicles? I'm quite sure the stats for those killed as a result of a car crash are staggering when compared to crib deaths of any kind.

October 19th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Quote:
I wasn't disagreeing with back sleeping. I was just paraphrasing what was in the article. I actually know of someone who's godson recently, like two weeks ago or so, passed away from choking in his vomit when his sitter had him sleeping on his tummy...and he was 5 months old.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but we started tummy time early with my DD to give her neck control, however, she did sleep primarily on her back.
Oh, I know that you weren't agreeing one way or the other, I was just saying that either way it's always gonna be possible for something to happen.

That is so sad, I feel so bad for that poor mother.

October 19th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Exactly. I was thinking this as I was bathing the kid.

While they're eliminating dropside cribs and bumpers, how about ruling out motor vehicles? I'm quite sure the stats for those killed as a result of a car crash are staggering when compared to crib deaths of any kind.
Well you could get into a whole 'nother discussion on motor vehicles! While some accidents are bad enough that the child is going to be killed no matter what, most of those stats are due to parents not using their carseats correctly, or at all. Plus, it's not **usually** the motor vehicles fault...though it can be....mostly it's the person behind the wheels fault. Just saying!

October 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Well you could get into a whole 'nother discussion on motor vehicles! While some accidents are bad enough that the child is going to be killed no matter what, most of those stats are due to parents not using their carseats correctly, or at all. Plus, it's not **usually** the motor vehicles fault...though it can be....mostly it's the person behind the wheels fault. Just saying!
I was saying deaths in general, not children.

And so couldn't the same be said for the crib bumpers not being securely fastened to the crib?

October 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
And just so everyone knows, I completely understand what some of you are saying about government regulations and what nots. I hate the government/politics. I don't even know if I'm gonna vote at re-election, for the pure fact that I feel like anything and everything that comes out of ANY politican's mouth is utter bull****. Just my opinion.

October 19th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Quote:
I was saying deaths in general, not children.

And so couldn't the same be said for the crib bumpers not being securely fastened to the crib?
Oh most definitely! I'm sure that's a big reason as to why some children end up with the ties around their necks! That's probably one of the main reasons I'm against them, is because I would always worry that I didn't tie it tight enough and that my child could manage to get it un-tied.

I am a first time mommy, so many of my views will probably change once baby is here, but I'm a person that doesn't go into anything blind so I always research, read reviews, and decide what I feel will be best for me, or my family. Like I said earlier, I posted this for the pure fact that there are people out there that have absolutly no idea that these things pose any risk. Some people truely believe that just because something is marketed for a child, it's 100% safe for a child.

October 19th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Oh most definitely! I'm sure that's a big reason as to why some children end up with the ties around their necks! That's probably one of the main reasons I'm against them, is because I would always worry that I didn't tie it tight enough and that my child could manage to get it un-tied.

I am a first time mommy, so many of my views will probably change once baby is here, but I'm a person that doesn't go into anything blind so I always research, read reviews, and decide what I feel will be best for me, or my family. Like I said earlier, I posted this for the pure fact that there are people out there that have absolutly no idea that these things pose any risk. Some people truely believe that just because something is marketed for a child, it's 100% safe for a child.
I'm all for research and making informed decisions.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search